14 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Roger wrote this for my Pye TV.
Before it 'died' I shorted the chokes and the picture improved vastly! Then the set went ping and switched off!

It is used as the bedroom TV in my room. So gets constant use as can be seen with Bowie and Spongebob. I use a small £15 modulator and my Virgin Media box.

Service Notes on Jamie’s Pye (Philips) KT3 Chassis

Jamie’s KT3 arrived in the workshop with ‘no operation’ symptoms.

After dismantling the set, checks were made for the usual suspects, FS6291/2 the 2A fuses and R6191, the 4.7 ohm 5 Watt W/W resistor on the mains power board.
These checked out O.K. so it looked as though the mains rectifiers would be fine. I next checked the HT1 line which was also O.K., so my checks now turned to the ‘chopper’ controlled power supply.
I checked the output voltage line HT2 on pin 6 of the power supply module U7470. The voltage should be 129V but gave a very low voltage reading on my voltmeter.

After checking a number of components on the board, I settled on the the control chip, IC7322 which is a TDA2581Q. This chip failure can be caused by a defective EHT tripler unit or EHT flashover. In this case however the tripler was fine and I was relieved to find a supplier for the chip. Once fitted, the set sprung into life and I was rewarded by a very presentable picture, the CRT only showing only a small drop in emission.

It was not considered appropriate to boost the CRT at this stage because of the risk of damage to the CRT.

The set was then assembled after a clean out of the cabinet and chassis. Fitting of some new screws to the cabinet back completed the job.

The set was then returned to Jamie for him to use. I’m pleased to say that the set is in constant use which is as it should be. As we know electronic equipment deteriorates when it is not used.
Hopefully the Pye will serve Jamie for many years to come.

Roger.

Posted : 22/02/2012 8:02 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Excellent work there Roger :thumbl:
I would'nt know my arse from my elbow on one of these "Work of the Devil" sets :twisted: I bet that took you back to the good old days of TV servicing. Do you dabble much these days with TV's or is it all too much of a busman's holiday?

Hi Jamie, the picture looks superb on the sponge bob scene less so obvious on the Bowie video as it uses all sorts of visuals and negatives. Not bad for what is becoming a vintage TV now.

Chris

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 22/02/2012 8:28 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Not too many Chris, sadly the sets I see are those horrible flat ones. They are a waste of time with no technical back-up and very little spares availability. I would much rather be fault finding on a CRT based set, than looking for a non-existant component failure on a flat panel with a software failure fault.
I still have a few late CRT era sets which may be renovated one day.

Roger.

Posted : 22/02/2012 8:52 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Great to see one of the later colour sets getting some attention!
I used to have a Pye colour thing, no idea what model, it had a panel with led display, a button for 2 different sound settings, even had teletext! I remember the tuning pots were hidden in a drawer, and the front was missing on mine. It was unfortunately binned back in the mid 90's, when my dad decided I didn't need 4 TV's... Now there's over 50 of them and he can't touch em!! I'd love to get another one day, but they never seem to come up.

Regards,
Lloyd.

Posted : 22/02/2012 10:14 pm
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Topic starter

That sounds like the later of this model which I also had. IF remote etc same chassis..
Sadly that one was thrown in the skip

Posted : 22/02/2012 11:13 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Ah, thats a shame!
I also remember the remote for my Daewoo 14" portable worked it very well!

Regards,
Lloyd

Posted : 23/02/2012 12:29 am
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Topic starter

Hi, Just an update.. Been running 10hrs+ a day now (Well I did say it'd get used!!) and after some adjustments (with the guidance of Roger of course) the tube is now spot on focus and colour wise (With a small amount of red bleed).

It's still thundering on 8 months on!
These pictures don't do it justice to be honest!
:thumbl:

Posted : 16/06/2012 9:56 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

Nice one Jamie. The KT3 was alway one of my favourite sets to work on.

Posted : 23/06/2012 11:00 pm
AidanLunn
(@aidanlunn)
Honorable Member Registered

Beautiful set, Jamie. We must be some of the few on here who enjoy these wooden/plastic 80s sets :)

Posted : 03/07/2012 10:37 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

i loved repairing them.
but they have no soul
rob t

Posted : 03/07/2012 5:11 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

they have no soul
rob t

That's because they are colour, therefore the spawn of Satan ;)

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 03/07/2012 5:12 pm
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Topic starter

Just an update, this time last year Roger bought it back to life.. HT is spot on, The set still gives as good a picture as it did last year. I worked out if it has been on 6 hours a day every day (Certainly is with me) since 1981.. It's been on for 67,890 hours!

Posted : 03/10/2012 10:12 pm
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Topic starter

Good point, It was used as our living room set from 1993-2004 I know that much. So your right, It has had some big gaps in use.

Posted : 03/10/2012 10:29 pm
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Topic starter

Haha, I'm aware it's an oddity! (Sadly not a space oddity! haha!) The tube is bright and crisp (After an hour or so) and it has the original green Philips tripler!

But then, What set wouldn't like being dragged out from a cold shed after 10 years and being put into constant use in a warm dry room! :thumbl:

Posted : 03/10/2012 10:37 pm
Share: