B&W TV Pye T185 1981

4 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

I got this 24"!!!! Black & White TV today, a Pye T185 which I believe is the Philips E2 Chassis - Must be rare can't say i've ever seen one, nor am I sure why anyone would want such a large monochrome TV in 1981 when colour wasn't exactly "new"

I'd already been speaking to Malc Scott about a few bits, and he advised me "The lopt tuning and S correction caps should be replaced asap"... The photos on the listing show it working with a weak snowy picture, Good I thought. Today I got it home and switched it on, to find the weakest almost non existent picture possible... With just the smallest hint of life when rotating the contrast etc (due to a dirty pot!) 

Could it be damage has already been done to the LOPT?

Below are the pictures from the listing...

t1852
t185 1

Posted : 19/03/2022 6:47 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

I think I saw one of these in Stockport Cash Converters in the late 1990s in a line of 1980s large screen sets.  I noticed the low asking price before noticing it wasn't a colour set.

By the early 1980s I imagine it was only the elderly, people with eye problems and those who couldn't afford a colour licence would want a larger screen B&W set.

Philips seemed to be the last of the Western big manufacturers to make large monochrome sets, they were still being made in Eastern Europe & probably the Far East until the end of the 1980s.

Posted : 19/03/2022 10:23 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @jskinner97

I got this 24"!!!! Black & White TV today, a Pye T185 which I believe is the Philips E2 Chassis - Must be rare can't say i've ever seen one, nor am I sure why anyone would want such a large monochrome TV in 1981 when colour wasn't exactly "new"

You never met my great-aunt Rose, did you?!

I was given the task of buying her a new black and white TV in 1983 because she would NOT pay the extra for the colour licence and I was fed up of propping up her Pye model 11 (I think) with its flat tube - it was definitely dual standard with a huge rotary channel knob. Bought from the local vicar for £10 at the time.

By then only the 20" Ferguson sets were in production, so I got her one of those. That lasted for many years with my help and she only had a colour TV for the last couple of years of her life - a CRT Samsung.

That aside, in 1983 a number of my friends' parents in my village still owned large-screen black and white sets - colour wasn't as common as you'd think even then.

Posted : 19/03/2022 10:30 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @cathovisor

....still owned large-screen black and white sets - colour wasn't as common as you'd think even then.

That is very true, even in the late 80's when I worked at the CO-OP, there were still the occasional black and white rental's around.

I can remember specifically a very nice elderly couple who actually had a T185 and returning it back to them after it was repaired. Their old house is still there down Staion Road in Whittlesey, but I somehow sadly doubt if they are. They would be well over 100 years old now if they were.

Looking forward to seeing progress with your set Jamie.  👍 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 20/03/2022 8:32 am
Share: