8 Users
0 Likes
Ekco-scott
(@ekco-scott)
Eminent Member Registered
Topic starter

Hello all 

Well I thought it was about time I posted to the new forums 🙂 

I have a rather nice example of a Pye V210 with its original legs and the set seems to be in fairly unmessed with condition except for a diode replacing the selenium rectifier.

I tested the CRT on my B&K and the tube was in the yellow zone just above the bad range. :/

I haven't tried to clean and balance it or rejuvenate it yet as I would like to try and get a picture on it before I try that as I do not know if the tester is accurate yet. 

I gave the set an inspection and decided to bring it up on the variac. No smoking occured and no bangs. I had very clear  sound from the Aurora but no line whistle so sweched the set off.

I'm rather hopeful for the set and am hoping the CRT will be usable. If not is there anyone with a usable one they wouldn't mind selling?

I can't  get the service data for the set anywhere anymore as Jon has said he no longer makes the data CD has anyone got a digital copy?

Thanks for your help and advice 🙂

Best regards SDSC_0531.JPG 

Posted : 02/05/2017 4:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Nice set you have there, when I was into collecting B&W sets, that particular model was high on my want list. Looks to be in very good condition and what a bonus to have the extremely rare legs, most have been lost by now.

As for the V210 service data, well you're at the right place as its says up top, " The Home of Television Repair". I have pretty much most Television service data members could require, over time I've been populating the library ( up top) scanning on request.  Members access to the library has to be earned and is covered in the rules - item #5.

However as a good will gesture to you and to get you started, I will send you a copy of the service data to your personal e-mail address.

Become a contributing member to the forum and before long you will have full access to all the VIP data areas, television, radio, TV servicing mags, LLJ articles etc.

Good luck with the restore and I look forward to following its return to working order.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 02/05/2017 4:47 pm
Ekco-scott
(@ekco-scott)
Topic starter

Hi Chris

Nice to hear from you again 🙂 and thank you for the warm welcome and Data I look forward to posting about the set and getting it working again. 

All the best S

Posted : 02/05/2017 4:57 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Hi Scott, and welcome!

Very nice telly you have there, wouldn't mind one of those myself!

Regarding the B&K, is it a 467? I have one of those, and last time I checked a tube with it, it gave a low reading, but once the set it was in (an Ekco T368) was up and running, it could be seen that the tube was actually very good! So don't trust the reading 100%. Other members of the forum have also experienced low readings on B&K's when testing black and white tubes, only to find them give a good picture.

good luck with the restoration!

Regards,

Lloyd

Posted : 02/05/2017 5:31 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Scott,

welcome to the forum!

Regarding your 'low' reading on your BK 467; this seems to be perfectly normal, especially on older mono CRTs - I've witnessed this myself on a Mullard MW22-14C which just crept into the yellow sector on the 467, but when put into service in the set concerned produced one of the brightest and sharpest pictures I've seen on one of those tubes! So I really wouldn't worry.

There may be a technical reason for this, and one day I may pull apart my two 467s to find out exactly what's going on.

Posted : 02/05/2017 5:37 pm
Ekco-scott
(@ekco-scott)
Topic starter

Hello Lloyd. 

It is indeed  a B&K 467. It's interesting to hear that they are known to give false readings. I wanted to make sure first as I wouldn't want to blast the life out of a good Tube!

S

Posted : 02/05/2017 5:38 pm
Ekco-scott
(@ekco-scott)
Topic starter

Hello Cathovisor

Thanks for the welcome 🙂 

That's good to hear, I'm sure it was a bit of a shock. 

I would be interested to know why to! 

I take it its component age and need of servicing making the testers read wrong. 

S

Posted : 02/05/2017 5:42 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Ekco-scott said

I take it its component age and need of servicing making the testers read wrong. 

I'm not so sure. Okay, my 467 had some rather wonky resistors in it which were, in typical US fashion, an odd value and power rating.

Rather, I think it may be due to both the way the 467 works and that older tubes simply don't supply that much current from the cathode. The plan I have is to put a microammeter in series with the tube's EHT connection and see just how much current is drawn on a typical picture, then compare it with the sort of currents a 467 measures.

Posted : 02/05/2017 6:11 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I sent the service data at 17:22 it was just under 3MB. Not sure if you have any inbox restrictions enforced by your ISP so let me know if you didn't get it.

Posted : 02/05/2017 6:42 pm
Ekco-scott
(@ekco-scott)
Topic starter

I have it here Chris thank you very much  🙂 it ended up in my spam folder for some reason. 

I shall be reading it though. It seems I have most of the caps to hand bar a few exceptions so will place an order and hopefully have the job under way soon.

It's been a long time since I last worked on a pcb set. All the radios and record players I've done recently have been hand wired chassis so it will make a nice change 🙂 

Regards S

Regards S

Posted : 02/05/2017 6:50 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Scott,

If your CRT reading is in the yellow on the B&K chances are that the CRT will be fine. I've tested dozens of mono CRT's with my 467 and early Mullard tubes never really bend the the needle at all, even a higher red reading is fine.

However I've found with Mazda CRT's the B&K scale seems more in order or in other words if it's red it's duff, yellow iffy and green it's OK.

I have to admit to a touch of the 'green envy' at your V210, it's a set that I've always wanted but always seem to have eluded me. Good luck with it and I'll look to seeing it's progress.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 02/05/2017 6:51 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Scott,

Well done for securing a rare set in such good condition, looking forward to following the electronic restoration thumb_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 02/05/2017 9:15 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

A nice looking example, I only saw a couple of these to fix and that was in the 1960's so I have forgotten what they look like inside.nuts_gif

Looking forward to seeing it working.

Frank

Posted : 03/05/2017 10:19 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Looking at the circuit in the library I noticed the sound output valve V11b (ECL80) receives it grid bias from the line output valve grid. The cathode of V11b connected to the chassis.

It would be interesting to know if the sound comes up before the picture and if it is distorted before the line timebase is working. There may be some delay built into the sound but I could not see it and AGC is conventional mean level for vision and standard carrier level AGC for the sound.

Perhaps the PL81/PY81 had quick warm up times.

Frank

Posted : 03/05/2017 7:15 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Les Lawry-John covers the V210 in one of his legendary servicing articles.

It can be found up top under Service Dept| Black & White TV| Free: B&W TV Data

Posted : 03/05/2017 7:36 pm
Ekco-scott
(@ekco-scott)
Topic starter

Hello Nuvistor

When I get the set out if the cabenet properly I will take plenty of detailed reference photos as I usually do and post some for you to look over 🙂 

When I get something on the CRT I'll let you know about the sound. It is very interesting and I would much like to know also! 

The set chassis is nicely laid out and looks like it would run rather cool. As for the cabinet it's in very good condition bar the odd nibble and as so often happens there is a hole in the back cover above the mains dropper. 

I think the Back of this set is made from something very similar in feel to paxolin but molded to shape.

I've had better luck with the masonite and heavy card backs as they only seem to suffer warping in most cases.

I'll need to figure out how to patch up the cover as the hole annoys me more than it really should. There's just something wrong about having a whole in the cover it is off putting laugh

S

Posted : 03/05/2017 7:40 pm
Ekco-scott
(@ekco-scott)
Topic starter

Hello all. 

I have taken delivery of all my part's for my next few projects and started working on this set. 

All has been going well up until now. But I'm a little bit stuck at c39 it has damage to its working voltage refrince but it appears to read 750 Y. DC. Is this correct? I'm not sure if that is correct though as the parts list does not have voltages listed. I don't think I have any 0.01uf caps rated any higher than 630v. 

Also I'm not sure if the 0 is ment to be a v or the y most likely is ment to be a v

Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

S

20170531_183015.JPG

Posted : 31/05/2017 6:46 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Ekco-scott said
Hello all. 

Also I'm not sure if the 0 is ment to be a v or the y most likely is ment to be a v

Sorry if this is a stupid question.   

Hi there, no question is stupid.

That is almost certainly a 750vdc capacitor.

As it is across the primary of the audio transformer, a 630v cap will be fine.

Posted : 31/05/2017 7:13 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I hesitate to disagree, but - always go up in voltage, never down. The ideal replacement for this position is 0.01µF at 1000V and with polypropylene dielectric. The rate of change of voltage across a transformer primary is very high and has the potential to cause problems with polyester dielectric components.

Posted : 31/05/2017 8:58 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Cathovisor said
I hesitate to disagree, but - always go up in voltage, never down. The ideal replacement for this position is 0.01µF at 1000V and with polypropylene dielectric. The rate of change of voltage across a transformer primary is very high and has the potential to cause problems with polyester dielectric components.  

That's very true, but I took the view that as it is low power audio and the cap is in series with a 10k resistor, it would be ok. Even if the cap went short, the resistor would be the saving grace.

Posted : 31/05/2017 9:50 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: