Featured
Latest
Quiz time. Guess wh...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Quiz time. Guess what TV chassis this is?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Look at this rusty wreck. It a TV chassis alright, but from which set?

The cabinet has long gone.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 17/04/2015 7:33 pm
Mikeymushradio
(@mikeymushradio)
Member Rest in Peace

Peto Scott????

Mike

30s radio and round tube tv fan collector of lost causes and poor old things that need some tlc.

Posted : 17/04/2015 10:10 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Mike
You got it. It is a Peto-Scott. the TV chassis was found in a farm building near Middleton Tyas which is near Scotch Corner in County Durham.
The chassis is all that remains of the set, but I do have the plans for the construction of the cabinet. It'll never get done.
Would be fun to find out if the chassis still works though.
From the valvepage website: http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/peto ... oscott.htm It's likely the set was the model TV1210.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 17/04/2015 10:36 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Obviously a 'roundie' - and do I spot a set of scan coils blending into its background?

I reckon you should put a CRT in there and see if you can breathe new life into it.. :)

Marion

Posted : 18/04/2015 12:42 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Funnily enough, in a pile of literature I bought from eBay recently (because it had numerous Bush instruction books in it, including the EAC95 export table radio and the TV1 television) there is a user handbook for the Peto-Scott TV92/TV122 receivers...

Posted : 18/04/2015 1:38 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

The original roundie CRT was broken. The tube used in this set was the Mullard MW31-16. If we are going to fire it up the first thing to attend to is the line output transformer. Dry it out by passing a current through the EHT overwind. This is the subject being discussed elsewhere on this Forum. In fact I'm doing this to a line output transformer which was removed from a scrap RGD Deep17 chassis. I intend to fit this transformer in my Pye CTL17. Both sets employ the AW43-80 90 degree CRT.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 18/04/2015 1:52 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Picture of the underside of the chassis. As you can see it is in good condition.
Answering Marion's question, the scan coils are present. After changing a few waxies this Peto-Scott should be a goer.
But does it deserve a new cabinet? It's just a box thing.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 18/04/2015 6:10 pm
Mikeymushradio
(@mikeymushradio)
Member Rest in Peace

Do a HKS on it !! shove that shiney new Mullard tube in it and plug it in..........

Joking aside these chassis are very well made (I have an identical chassis sans tube/cabinet) note the insulated shafts on the user controls the full width bakelite insulation( no waxed cardboard here) panel at the rear to protect the user when adjusting the line hold etc proper mains socket, plug in speaker and scan coils,the droppers are mounted on a proper heatshield above the tube out of harms way the whole chassis is well made and looks neat.

Mike

30s radio and round tube tv fan collector of lost causes and poor old things that need some tlc.

Posted : 19/04/2015 12:08 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Mike,
The line output transformer has been subjected to the DC current treatment to drive out any moisture. OK, I'll do a HKS and just plug it in, do a few checks first of course. So I've got the plans to make a cabinet, should I make one? There's plenty plywood here in the shop. Let's vote on it.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 19/04/2015 12:41 pm
Share: