15 Posts
6 Users
24 Likes
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi folk,

My last post has now probably been consigned to history! As a quite often contributor to VRAT in the distant past I haven't been posting for quite a while...

Having moved to France with all my collection (collection - en France means vintage/classic) of radios, TVs and associated tat I haven't really had time to post here. A 200 year old former Boulangerie to renovate, a business to start etc and you will probably get the idea! Any way  back to topic. Yesterday picked up a dual standard B&W TV in not bad nick - it's seen a bit of damp but fortunately not too much so eminently repairable/restoreable.

So who has heard of this Marque/Make? I have only come across Radiola, Philips, Grundig etc since the move here.

Went to a Vide Greniere/Brocante ( French version of a car boot sale) yesterday and spotted this TV.  Old TVs here are not so easy to find or pick up at a reasonable price. This one only put me back 30€ so I thought it was well worth having.

Not your usual 405/625 line dual standard but a 819 line/625 line beast. Mostly all valve apart from one of the two tuners. Several pics below. I am just starting on getting my workshop fitted out so won't be getting the soldering iron out soon. Just thought you folk would be interested in seeing the set.

Andy

Posted : 30/06/2019 4:48 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

Hopefully not too much wrong with that....it seems to be full of Mullard  mustard caps so there is a good chance these will be OK.

Await the results with interest.

Posted : 30/06/2019 6:59 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Is this similar?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/ribet_665_ub2_coffret.html

Frank

Posted : 30/06/2019 7:57 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

That looks pretty close to me. Always like to see how the continentals do things especially 819 line, do you have a signal source?

Some strange valve types if Franks link is correct, never heard of an EL183 or EL502. What are the valve and CRT brand names?

John.

Posted : 30/06/2019 8:16 pm
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)
Topic starter

Continental sets usually employed a mains isolating transformer which made it possible to use the 6.3 Volt series of valves. I did spot an ECF80 when I took a quick look inside. I don't have a signal source for the 819 line standard. I suspect the 819 line system was VHF and 625 was UHF. No problems with 625 then. I have another 819 line set (1950's) to look at as well.

Andy

Posted : 30/06/2019 8:42 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Hi Andy, many years ago I did come across one of the infamous EMO sets imported from France in the 70's. This was the only TV I ever saw with all 6.3V valves complete with it's EL509 and EY500A. 

Looking forward to see how it performs, good luck with it,

John.

Posted : 30/06/2019 9:13 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

At last November's Gobourne there was a Radiola displaying some very sharp images via an 819 line Aurora.

This set would have been introduced around the time the 2nd Channel started in France, & from 1967 broadcast colour using SECAM.

Posted : 30/06/2019 9:48 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I saw the 819 line set at Golborne last November, had to look twice, it was displaying a continental test card if I remember correctly . I couldn’t go in April, hopefully be there again next November, it’s only about 6 miles from home.

Frank

Posted : 30/06/2019 10:07 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

EL183 ? and EL502 line output?

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el183.html

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_el502.html

edit to correct links

Frank

Posted : 30/06/2019 10:11 pm
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)
Topic starter

Frank, It looks like it. I will have to check the model number.

Posted : 01/07/2019 5:33 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Lots of info about this French company on the web, looks like they were a popular brand over there. Here's just a couple of photos.

Advert for the set

The factory test lab a few years earlier

ribdes

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 01/07/2019 6:43 am
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)
Topic starter

Interesting photos Chris. I can't wait to get my workshop done so I can play again with my toys! Have to get the schematic diagram for the set, maybe on Radio Museum? Will have to check it out.

Posted : 01/07/2019 11:22 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Andy,

Now you're in France I'm surprised you're not using their equivalent of UKVRRR....... and that's

"RADIOFIL" link here http://retro-forum.com/   Plenty of Radio, B&W and Colour TV folk on there. You will be bound to find all the info you need including the circuit data.

Posted : 01/07/2019 11:38 am
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)
Topic starter

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I am aware of Radiofil and plan to join at some point.. I think a subscription is around 75€ a year though.

The other thing is that,  je parle un peut la Francaise! I guess there is always DEEPL and Google Translate when things get difficult. I wanted to send you a PM but you came up as 'not found' when trying to message.

Andy.

Posted : 01/07/2019 11:43 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: Spot-Wobble

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. I am aware of Radiofil and plan to join at some point.. I think a subscription is around 75€ a year though.

Ouch I had no idea they charged, makes UKVRRR and Vrat seem more attractive in that respect then ? 

Posted by: Spot-Wobble

I wanted to send you a PM but you came up as 'not found' when trying to message.

The Admin (me) cannot be selected via the "new message" recipient list, you have to pick me from the directory listing.

All covered in the FAQ section here and the specific article here

Posted : 01/07/2019 11:50 am
Share: