Share:
Notifications
Clear all

B&W TV Rigonda M

Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

This TV came with a box of stuff at Harpenden. I was having a look around my pile and thought this is something that could go to a better home. I must confess to thinking this was a small monitor unit before I discovered that there was a fold down aerial in the handle and in fact there was a tuner but the knob and dial were missing. But before it went, I could resist having a look inside.

The mini TV is in my opinion extremely well constructed with a little sub frame and 3 fold down panels with the circuit boards.
The wiring is all very neat in runs laced with waxed cotton. There is a 12v connector, but there is no indication of the polarity. Tracing the wiring from the back of the 12v connector, one wire connected to chassis. Most electrolytics were connected with +ve to earth so

I had a go at connecting power to it, not a dicky bird. It was drawing just a few mA. I don't have any interest in this TV as it would be of no use to me even if I got it going as I don't have any standard's converter. So if anyone is interested in having this, I will add it to the "for sale or for nowt " thread.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/09/2013 9:44 am
Topic Tags
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I dont have any interest in this TV as it would be of no use to me even if I got it going as I dont have any standards converter.

These are 625 so no standard's converter required.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2013 9:48 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

I repaired one of these in late 1970s in the AV workshop I was in. Normally we only had Industrial, semi-professional & security stuff. I think it must have belonged to a friend of the service manager.

I replaced Germanium frame drive transistor(s) with Silicon. Definitely 625 only. Though would be interesting to try and convert it.

Smaller than 12" sets were rare then apart from the 2" Sinclair, which was too expensive and too short lived on battery. We bought the monitor version of the Sinclair to point CCTV cameras, but useless to adjust iris or focus. So after a couple of jobs it sat in a drawer somewhere.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/09/2013 11:23 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

I also have one of these with a missing tuner knob. Mine has the mains power pack screwed to the back, But more to the point I have a spare power pack if anyone wants it (assuming I remember where it's hiding).

I also have the service info.

Peter

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2013 11:33 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

About 1986/87 Currys,Dixons gave away one of these sets free with every Logik (TX90/100) purchased. I only ever saw a couple of them in the w/shop. Very reliable little set.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2013 11:35 am
Norman-Raeburn
(@norman-raeburn)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I too had one of these, in the time I had it I fitted a new line output transistor, line output transformer and finally a new crt. I seem to remember the coating on the inside of the crt being a bit thin a quite rough looking. I finally sold this when a friend of mine kept pestering me to buy it. Norman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2013 2:18 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

Just the pictures are bringing back memories of transistors with odd ball markings, some with 4 legs ... Isn't there a bulb in the circuit somewhere? I've got a headache coming on just thinking about them.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2013 8:48 pm
danny
(@danny)
Member Deactivated Account

When i was a young chap these were offered on the back of the cornflake packet dont remember the selling point but no morning tv then ? later i bought these from auctions sales but never got one to work. I recently bought two of ebay to put an end to the curse but havent had a go at them yet. Danny

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2013 1:49 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

Just the pictures are bringing back memories of transistors with odd ball markings, some with 4 legs ... Isn't there a bulb in the circuit somewhere? I've got a headache coming on just thinking about them.....

... or was that the Vega ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2013 2:43 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)

So although they looked well made inside they had their issues. It is interesting that they used twin speakers when one would probably have done. Do you think it was to increase reliability. :)
Mike

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/09/2013 11:08 am
Muggs
(@muggs)
New V-Ratter Registered

@peterscott

Hello Mr Scott.

I have acquired a Rigonda M, another one with a missing tuning knob ! I don't suppose you still have the spare mains unit ? If not perhaps you could let me know the polarity of the 12 V input as the power lead has been lost. Hope you can assist.

With thanks.

Muggs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/08/2021 10:32 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)

@muggs 

Hi Muggs, I have found it. Unfortunately it's missing the 12 volt plug. I got it from the guy that I got my Rigonda M from so I suspect he swapped it out as not working. If you want it it's yours for the price of the postage. Where are you located? In the UK it should £5.

P1030643 (Medium)

Peter

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2021 10:51 am
Muggs
(@muggs)
New V-Ratter Registered

@peterscott

Hello Mr Scott. Thanks for the polarity info. I tried a 12 V supply. There's a hiss from the speakers, interrupted by crackling but no raster. In a darkened room I can see the cause of the crackling. There's arching between electrodes in the neck of the CRT ! I don't suppose you have a spare tube ? I'd pay, of course.

With thanks,

Muggs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/08/2021 11:39 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)

@muggs 

Sorry Muggs, I only have my complete Rigonda M.

Peter

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2021 8:58 am