Sobell T21

105 Posts
11 Users
174 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

@nuvistor

I think "should" is what it aught to be, but "could" is probably closer to reality! ?

Posted : 15/09/2020 7:13 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

I think it is fair to say that this set would have been working at the time it was retired, who know's how long ago. The fact it has clearly been stored in good conditions ever since has certainly helped matters too for me to achieve good working operation without much difficulty today.

I have been watching an Ealing commedy (Make Mine Mink) on it this evening. The definition is excellent and perfectly acceptable for me in this day and age. To think that this was perhaps the largest screen size you could have in 1956 (except for a projection model) and that only a few years prior to this only a 12 inch would be available, it is quite remarkable how quickly advances in CRT development took place. Not only that, but in the electronics too for being able to reproduce such good results on a larger screen.

Yes, I am impressed. ? 

IMG 5776

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 15/09/2020 9:03 pm
crustytv, Nuvistor, Doz and 6 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

And as the rear back cover and base panel are fitted into place, I have to spare a thought for the people who designed and made the set's. Could any of them even still be alive?  Did any of them even for a moment consider that their work would be respected 65 years later? Would they appreciate the fact that someone like me would be interested enough to want to restore their creation? Would any of them have even cared anyway?

Who know's....we may never know now. But at least I have enjoyed it, and I hope you have enjoyed reading about it too.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 20/09/2020 6:45 am
Red_to_Black, Cathovisor, Nuvistor and 6 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @pye625

I have to spare a thought for the people who designed and made the set's. Could any of them even still be alive?  Did any of them even for a moment consider that their work would be respected 65 years later? Would they appreciate the fact that someone like me would be interested enough to want to restore their creation? Would any of them have even cared anyway?

Hi Andrew, I would be as bold to say yes but astounded too. I think everyone involved in this sets life from design, manufacture, sale, delivery right through to ownership, would be amazed.

The designer surely proud his creation had stood the test of time. The manufacture that their quality control had guaranteed it was to specification. The team of assembly lads and lasses, that they built it.  The delivery driver and shop sales assistant playing their part in getting it to the customer.

Finally the customer, who would perhaps remember the trip to the TV shop, making the choice, putting down the deposit and signing the rental agreement. Then the day, the anticipation of its installation. Sitting down in their comfy chair to watch it for the very first time, oh to be a time travelling "fly on the wall", I wonder what the first programme it showed was. The owner would have the most personal memory of all and likely be the most astounded of all, that their TV is still in use in 2020.

Now for a moment of silliness, I know its only an inanimate piece of tech, but perhaps even the set has a wry little smile in its circuits to be once again giving someone such as yourself pleasure.

Posted by: @pye625

But at least I have enjoyed it, and I hope you have enjoyed reading about it too.

Absolutely Andrew, I may not have commented in your thread, only because I had nothing intelligent to add. I always checked in whenever there were updates and always enjoy your thorough restorations. Long may they continue.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 20/09/2020 8:11 am
Red_to_Black, Cathovisor, PYE625 and 6 people reacted
1100man
(@1100man)
Eminent Member Registered

Hi Andrew,

A really nice end result and what a cracking picture! It makes you realise just how good 405 was- even now it makes for very enjoyable viewing.

I'm sure it was a pleasure to be a Sobell dealer- the sets must have sold themselves with pictures like that!

Looking forward to your next restoration journey.

All the best

Nick

Posted : 20/09/2020 8:07 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Page 6 / 6
Share: