2 Users
0 Likes
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

these 2 mono sets are I think quite unusual 

the first is an Invicta 7166 & PYE model 31 clone 

never come across this model before , I have the PYE 31 & the transportable pye 32 & the ferranti version.i understand that there is an Ekco & Dynatron but never found any info on the Invicta .

image.jpeg image-1.jpeg

the other set I got was a PYE tv1 but badged pioneer , I understand that pioneer was PYE's pioneer set of its time having fully functional 405 & 625 systems.for a set of around 1962 ish I suppose it was a pioneer . The set uses the PYE V700D chassis in a  grey plastic  cabinet but it uses a 17 inch CRT where most manufacturers of that time used the 19 inch CRT .

this set is different from the PYE  TV1 & TV2 the PYE TV1 has a wood grain effect plastic case & the TV2 has a wooden case & nether of the PYE's have UHF tuners fitted 

image-2.jpegimage-3.jpegimage-4.jpeg

Posted : 01/01/2017 12:30 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Are they on the " to do" pile or are they first on the bench, be good to see them working, 50 odd years since they were introduced.

There was a rental organisation near here that used to refurbish ex-rental sets with the Pye integrated tuner/IF panel, they claimed to have solved the instability and pattering problems but I never saw one to verify it.

Still it's a piece of history that you have saved.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 01/01/2017 3:04 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Frank 

they are on the to do pile , unfortunately they could be there for some time as my mum has just been taken into hospital with a broken leg ,She only tried to go up the loft at 80 year old but you can't tell them off at that age can you 

the sets will make good addition to my PYE collection, they haven't been stored in the best of conditions so the loptx may take some time to dry out

i have a PYE 31 with an integrated tuner & haven't had any stability problems with that one but it may have been sorted previously 

they are a nice compact set ( in my opinion) but I find most of the PYE sets to be like that 

chris

Posted : 02/01/2017 10:04 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Chris,

Hope your mum gets sorted out quickly, and no you can't tell us. I am not as old as your mum but my daughter get exasperated with me at times. I just don't tell her when I have been up the ladder cleaning windows. Still expects me to keep up with my 8 year old twin granddaughters though, that can be tiring.

Your Pye31 may have been sorted out, we just never found them that good. The next model in the range that had a new designed IF strip bolted to the side of the main chassis with the same tuner worked very well. They had sorted out most of the button problems by then.

The Ferranti model, there may also have been other brands, had a rotary tuner. That had a lever with a quadrant gear to turn the tuning capacitor. The first design of the gear was thin metal for the gear, it stripped the cog on the tuner, jammed and the customer would break the knob trying to turn it. The design was changed to a wider diecast gear and that solved most of the problems. I always had the parts on the van, easy to sort out in the house.

Frank

Frank

Posted : 02/01/2017 10:19 am
Share: