7 Users
42 Likes
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi All,

A while ago I requested some service info for the diminutive Sony 9-306UB set, which Chris was gracious enough to provide via the library.

I thought some of you may wish to see what's happened so far ....

The video is rather long and, quite frankly a little boring. Great if you're suffering from insomnia!

Part II coming soon!

All the best,

Doz.

Posted : 23/04/2019 9:39 am
glenz75, Alex728, PYE625 and 9 people reacted
Topic Tags
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Far from boring Andy, personally loved every minute of it, looking forward to part II. ? 

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 23/04/2019 5:45 pm
glenz75, Doz, glenz75 and 3 people reacted
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Part II should be up in a couple of days.

625 works well enough now. There's something smearing the video a bit on both standards, but I haven't tackled the signals board yet. 

405 not so good. Line linearity is awful. Frame lin isn't great either, and the settings that work OK on 625, aren't happy on 405...

I haven't had much time to attempt a proper set up as yet.

IMG 20190423 002910000 (1)

Posted : 25/04/2019 9:19 am
glenz75, glenz75 and glenz75 reacted
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered

I also watched Part 1 with some interest, having one of these sets on my 'to do' pile. I've had a brief look at it. Mine has a frame fault on 625, two pictures can be seen at once, one slightly squashed above the other. 405 not tested. I took the same approach, changed a couple of 20uF capacitors on the timebase board which measured out of spec, but the fault remains.

Just a comment: I don't usually replace old unsleeved 13A plugs unless they're badly damaged. Having a modern plug on a vintage appliance seems a bit odd to me. However, I do replace 13A fuses with something more suitable.

Posted : 25/04/2019 11:54 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

With regard to unsleeved 13A plugs......these can still be used as long as they are in good condition of course and you can continue to use them on your own equipment. What you can't do is pass the equipment on to someone else with the old style plug fitted. So if you do pass it on or if you are repairing something for someone else then you have to change the plug for a new sleeved type. You can give the old plug back to the customer who is quite at liberty to refit it and use it. 

In short, it's not illegal to use these on your own equipment. 

Posted : 26/04/2019 8:15 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

The plug had a chunk out of the plastic too... it's skip fodder.

Posted : 26/04/2019 8:34 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Part II of this epic trilogy (at least) is now up on YouTube for you viewing pleasure on this damp Saturday!

Posted : 27/04/2019 2:45 pm
glenz75, PYE625, crustytv and 6 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Can't wait for episode - Where, if memory serves me, Meg finds Sandy in the broom cupboard with Amy Turtle?

Now, you can bet your bottom dollar, if that had been my telly, I'd have had wires pinging off the boards all over the place, and would have fried those irreplaceable Japanese transistors.

Posted : 29/04/2019 6:25 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Posted by: Katie Bush

Can't wait for episode - Where, if memory serves me, Meg finds Sandy in the broom cupboard with Amy Turtle?

Now, you can bet your bottom dollar, if that had been my telly, I'd have had wires pinging off the boards all over the place, and would have fried those irreplaceable Japanese transistors.

I'll give you a clue, it's not professor plum in the drawing room with a 2SC41.

Spoiler alert... damn thing gives me a belt in the next episode!

Posted : 29/04/2019 11:08 pm
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi Andy, have been enjoying your videos on this little Sony so far 🙂 I revived a similar model in the same era as yours a 9-304UE and ended replacing every single electrolytic in the thing they were all off the scale! Needless to say the things performance vastly improved afterwards and I also battled with getting those caps out of the boards with their folded legs and trying not to lift the tracks in the process! If you're interested in seeing some videos I did on it have a look at my You Tube channel 🙂

Look forward to your next episode on the Sony ? 

Cheers, Glen.

My You Tube Channel for those suffering from insomina - Youtube Glenz1975

Posted : 30/04/2019 12:38 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Posted by: glenz75

Hi Andy, have been enjoying your videos on this little Sony so far 🙂 I revived a similar model in the same era as yours a 9-304UE and ended replacing every single electrolytic in the thing they were all off the scale! Needless to say the things performance vastly improved afterwards and I also battled with getting those caps out of the boards with their folded legs and trying not to lift the tracks in the process! If you're interested in seeing some videos I did on it have a look at my You Tube channel 🙂

Look forward to your next episode on the Sony ? 

Cheers, Glen.

That timebase panel looks very familiar! What are the two big transistors top right? I must watch the video all the way through later (probably while my part 3 is rendering!)

Posted : 30/04/2019 12:59 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Part 3 is done! Enjoy. (There are some outtakes at the end for a giggle)

Posted : 30/04/2019 9:08 pm
Alex728, PYE625, Alex728 and 3 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Did that shirt attract any greenfly?  ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 30/04/2019 9:22 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Posted by: PYE625

Did that shirt attract any greenfly?  ? 

... you should see today's ! ? ? 

Posted : 30/04/2019 9:27 pm
glenz75
(@glenz75)

Hi Andy, I think from memory with those two large bits of silicon, one is the lineoutput and the other may be a power supply regulator? Am not 100% on that will have to relook myself! ? 

Posted : 01/05/2019 12:28 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Hi Andy, I think from memory with those two large bits of silicon, one is the lineoutput and the other may be a power supply regulator? Am not 100% on that will have to relook myself! ? 

Power supply regulator... now there's posh. Mine has no such refinement! If the other transistor is the line output device, what's top right of the timebase board? That's where my lineo utput transistor is (a 2SC41) , and yours appears to be populated there too.

Posted : 01/05/2019 9:19 am
glenz75
(@glenz75)

Well it turns out I was totally wrong! ? After consulting the street map, the two transistors top right 2SC41's are both for the horizontal output and the other one the single heatsink near the middle of the board 2SB232 is the vertical output. Did you ever find out what gave you that arm jerking belt in Part 3?

Posted : 03/05/2019 12:57 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Well it turns out I was totally wrong! ? After consulting the street map, the two transistors top right 2SC41's are both for the horizontal output and the other one the single heatsink near the middle of the board 2SB232 is the vertical output. Did you ever find out what gave you that arm jerking belt in Part 3?

Thanks Glen. I didn't get to the bottom of it... I've just put it down to experience...

Posted : 04/05/2019 1:16 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Topic starter

Disaster has struck.

Just about to film the last bit of part 4, having given the IF a fresh new supply of electrolytic capacitors. Pictures were really good. All of the nasty smearing eliminated... Just as I'm about to press record on the camcorder, something goes "crack".... sounded a bit like a touch of EHT flash-over.

No sound or video on 625 .. a bit of sound on 405.

Tracing through with the spec-an, and I've lost the first IF transistor. It's a 2SA456. Germanium IF: 1 mA; US: 0.5 V; Isp: 30 µA; ß (beta): 48; N: 60 mW; Imax(Ic): 10 mA; Umax(Uce): -(22) V; f g(FT): 300 MHz; tmax j: 85 °C; 0.6 pF.

Has anyone got or suggest an obtainable replacement?

IMG 20190506 223459761

Posted : 06/05/2019 9:23 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Doz, sorry to read the above.

I believe an AF239 is an equivalent and there are a selection on ebay at not too silly prices.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 06/05/2019 10:07 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: