Stella ST1093A.. (Philips 150 chassis.)

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

I got this set by a circuitous route. Initially it belonged to another collector but he couldn't quite get it to work, so he brought it down to Cottered for me to have a look at. The problem was a fairly simple one and I thought it would be simple to sort out. Nothing on 625 lines. Signals on 405 looked OK as far as he could tell.

So back off, give it some power and a signal and see what transpired. There was nothing on 625 and what looked like inverse video on 405. The IF board has a large system switch in the middle and every time I tapped it or the board, we would get hum on sound and flashes on the screen. So it all pointed to the system switch, which I told him to take apart and clean. Simple job I thought, and I left him to do it because I only have one hand and he has two.

He then spent an evening redoing the system switch and also he had previously put the vision signal diode in wrong too he said. So he then reassembled it, put an aerial in the back of it and tuned around for signals on 625.

Still nothing. I said something rude about it at this end and said I would take another look at the next Rusty Radios meet.

The next meet came and he moved it into my car for it's permanent journey to Bush House. On the kitchen table it went and I started from scratch. 405 went through OK but 625 did nothing. So I was back to the troublesome IF board, which worked great on 405 but didn't want to know on 625. Has this set been round the houses, I thought. At least the system switch was OK now, I thought.

Actually, 625 wasn't completely dead. On Channel 39, which my UHF modulator is on, I found that in one place I could hear the sound, very faintly. So I looked around the IF board again and heaved a sigh as I went for the signal generator.

Then I stopped and thought. Most things had probably been tried, so I resorted to cunning and a touch of my famous cowboy trickery. The IF for the most part was OK, so we were looking at 625 sections only. With two screwdrivers, a metal and a non metal one, I looked at the cans again, and when I pushed the metallic screwdriver into one of the cans, the sound became louder. I removed the cover of the can and looked inside it. I tried moving the IFT's inside about with my bare hands and suddenly the 625 line section burst into life. When the IFT was moved to the left, it worked. Let go and it stopped.

This particular can as the one to the left of the system switch and it had L228, L227 and L226 inside it, as well as the vision detector diode and a few capacitors. Close inspection revealed a break in one of the coils. The system switch later on actually chose one of two paths our of here and the break in L227 was enough to stop the signal going down the 625 path.

So the IF board came out and went to a mate of mine to be resoldered. IFT's are ticklish and I only have one hand, so it was best left to somebody with two!

It came back a couple of days later and I refitted it to the set. Then I fitted it right and it started to work on both standards. I changed the valves in the UHF tuner and the sync separator valve as they were all past their best. We now had good pictures on all standards, which aren't that clear below because of my digital camera.

Then I was off with the polish to make the set look reasonable apart from the three knobs on the front. There was one complete and two others, and they looked a mess. I didn't have any of the original knobs, but I did have a set of knobs from a Philips 170 series set. These quickly went on the front of the set and although not original, they look OK.

So this set finally worked. Sometimes, test equipment doesn't work as well as cunning and luck. Let me give you a tip from being in a workshop for years. Sometimes, the simplest of faults can be very confusing. Stop, put the meter down and think. Don't dive in.

Cheers,

Steve P.

Forum 142
Forum 143

Posted : 03/08/2011 9:55 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks for an interesting story and especially the wise words at the end.

- Joe

Posted : 03/08/2011 10:12 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Steve,

Thanks for write up, I remember this set well with it's original owner and the issues it was giving him. Well done on tracing the elusive cause of the problem and a very valid point you make about stepping back, downing tools and engaging the the little grey cells.

Another very nice dual standard back in service, if you get a chance post a picture of the original knob, I have quite a few TV knobs and you never know. Although as you say the replacements look remarkably good from the photo.

Chris

EDIT: That clip in the last shot, I seem to remember a 70's comedy about a chap (from doctor in the house) who was a night school English language teacher for immigrants, is it that show?

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 03/08/2011 10:13 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Joe,

That's the one, that takes me back, I was watching love thy neighbour the other night on one of my old sets.

The transmission is most likely on 405, via the Aurora, via a dvd.

See Joe another reason to get an old 405 TV, get an aurora, hook up your dvd's and you can enjoy vintage shows on a vintage TV and you still don't need a TV license. You can't say there's rubbish on TV again as you're the schedule controller.

Chris

Posted : 03/08/2011 10:44 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Knob attached, minus the gold end.

Yes it was 'Mind Your Language' and it was on 625 as that is where the set's problems were.

Cheers,

Steve P.

Forum 144

Forum 145

Posted : 03/08/2011 11:15 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Steve,

Its your lucky day :) not gold ended but silver but the knobs look identical to yours and you could gold spray the caps. The knob body is an aged white, they will probably clean up better, although your VHF & UHF knobs are probably aged as well.

I suppose before getting too carried away to be sure, we should discuss some measurements.

See pic's below, for knobs and dimension legend

The shaft diameter is 7mm,
The hole in the centre is about 4mm,
The shaft length is about 27mm,
The knob end is 19mm from the end of the cap to then end of the fluted part and 14mm across the silver face

Forum 146

Forum 147

Chris

Posted : 03/08/2011 11:47 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable Member Registered

A nice write up and a good result. OTT seems to have come up trups for the knobs too. Nice one :D

How about a couple of internal pics?

ATVB,
Tas

Posted : 04/08/2011 7:35 pm
FRANK.C
(@frank-c)
Reputable Member Registered

Hi Steve
Thanks for a captivating read. A difficult fault to find what a great result in the end.

Frank

www.electronics.frankcuffe.ovh

Posted : 04/08/2011 9:01 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes please OldTickTock. Need three. You've got my address.

Next time it's apart, I will.

Cheers,

Steve P.

Posted : 05/08/2011 1:12 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Steve,

I have just put the knobs in the post, all being well you should have them before the week is out.

Updated picky would be good to see.

Chris

Posted : 09/08/2011 10:23 am
Share: