13 Posts
3 Users
6 Likes
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Here's one for you all...

...back in the late 1950s Bush adopted the use of a 'Bush Baby', or a galago, as a marketing device for their televisions. The idea being "You'd see more with a Bush". Bush dealers could buy a toy bush baby as a sales aid for their displays.

I've finally managed to buy one that isn't in truly abysmal condition but sadly, the paws have long since rotted away as they look like they were made out of leather. I have an offer of help to recreate the paws, but the person will need a photo to work from and I don't actually have one – does anybody out there have one, perhaps in a trade magazine or something?

Bush Baby with documents

It'd be great if someone could help get my Bush Baby sitting on top of my TV77!

Posted : 23/08/2018 7:02 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
nadiabclm
(@nadiabclm)
Active Member Registered

@cathovisor Hello - I've been trying to track down a Bush Baby advert. Do you by any chance have a clearer image of the bush babies in that leaflet? Thanks. 

(And sorry, I can't help with your query! I think the toys were made by Chad Valley in conjunction with Bush, but that's all I know). 

Posted : 31/10/2022 11:07 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

@nadiabclm As it happens, I do have a cardboard "standee" of a "Bush Baby" designed to sit upon a TV set with its tail hanging down ('thereby hangs a tail' is the caption). I'll try and take a photograph of it for you presently.

May I ask what your interest is?

Posted : 31/10/2022 6:34 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: @nadiabclm

(And sorry, I can't help with your query! I think the toys were made by Chad Valley in conjunction with Bush, but that's all I know). 

The label on my "Bush Baby" says

"BUSH BABY

Made by Chad Valley in arrangement with Bush Radio Ltd."

Posted : 01/11/2022 10:48 am
nadiabclm
(@nadiabclm)
Active Member Registered

Aha, so it is Chad Valley! Great. 

It's great that you have a 'standee'. If possible I would really appreciate a scanned copy? I work at a museum and we are recreating a 1950s music shop, which had these Bush Baby signs on display. I would be happy to give you my work contact details? 

Posted : 01/11/2022 3:26 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Leave it with me - I'll try and dig mine out to scan it but I'll post a photo shortly.

Posted : 01/11/2022 3:38 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Here is a photo of the complete Bush Baby sign to stand on a TV - I'll try and scan the Bush Baby individually, I think he'll fit on the A3 scanner.

Forum 142

As you can see, the backing is circular and 18" in diameter. The Bush Baby is joined to the backing in such a fashion that it hinges forward parallel to the backing and allows the sign to stand freely.

If I can find/scan a leaflet, I'll do that too.

Would I be right in assuming from your user name that you're part of the Black Country Living Museum?

Posted : 02/11/2022 3:04 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

A gallery of images here.

First, the Bush Baby from the standee:

Forum 143

Next, TV leaflets.

Forum 144

Forum 145

Finally, a record player but sadly from 1964ish so a bit late.

Forum 146

I can send you direct links to the full-size images which are all scanned at 200dpi.

Posted : 02/11/2022 6:52 pm
nadiabclm
(@nadiabclm)
Active Member Registered

Thank you so much, these are just what I've been looking for! It's especially helpful to see them all in colour (rather than just in black and white photographs!) This will really help us to bring things to life.

Yes, I work at the Black Country Living Museum. Should you like to know more about what we are doing google Stanton's Music shop.   

Thanks again 🙂 

Posted : 04/11/2022 3:14 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

No problem, I'll send you a private message to the links to the full-size images. 

Bit out of time but I *might* have some record player/radiogram literature, some Bush and some Dansette. 

Posted : 04/11/2022 4:52 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered

Here is a link to the real thing!

Forum 147

They are quite common in Sydney's leafier suburbs to the point where they can become a pest. In New Zealand they are an introduced species, officially a pest and are trapped for their pelt. Protected species in Australia.

I well remember holding our Cocker Spaniel back from taking one on. Poor Oskar would have been torn to shreds!

They are definitely NOT cute and cuddly!

The tails allow them to walk along power lines.

Posted : 15/11/2022 8:06 am
nadiabclm reacted
nadiabclm
(@nadiabclm)
Active Member Registered

They are curious and deceptively cute little fellows! I note that I should never cuddle one! 😆 

Posted : 15/11/2022 11:34 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered

When driving in Australia you may come across the aerial bridges built by conservation groups across freeways and some secondary roads. To stop them becoming road kill..

Where I lived previously in Frenchs Forest there was a major electrical high voltage switching yard a few km away across the valley. One night, there was a huge blue-green flash that lit the sky like day. That was a possum that got too close to the 330kV.

Timber power poles usually have a sheet metal "garter" part-way up the pole to deter possums from climbing them. As well as little rotating fixtures on the wires near the insulators to stop them going too far.

We were hosts to several of them that found their way into our walls between the bricks and the drywall. One night one of them decided to enlarge his cramped quarters by scratching a hole in the drywall, only to encounter our faithful cocker-spaniel who was anxious to rid us of this unwanted intruder.

For Oskar, "possum" was a key word like "squirrel" in other parts of the world!

Bush sold "Bush-Simpson" TVs in Australia as part of the Simpson appliance group (Simpson washing machines were highly respected) up until the credit squeeze of 1961 which saw more than half the TV makers fail. They were made in Adelaide in South Australia and used local designs with a few imported components, notably a push-button tuner.

But I never saw that possum in any local advertising - strange.....

Posted : 16/11/2022 2:17 am
Share: