The Secret Life Of Machines - The Television

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

I just came across this episode of the above Channel 4 series made in 1988.
It was quite interesting and showed a novel way to open your TV up!
Also included an interview with Gerry Wells showing off some of his early TVs and his large standards convertor which at the time was housed next to his bed due to it's large size.
I wasn't sure how to embed the Youtube Video so here is the link
Those of a nervous disposition should avoid watching the very end of the programme....

Andy

Posted : 20/10/2013 7:35 pm
Pamphonica
(@pamphonica)
Estimable Member Registered

The ending was un-necessarily brutal I felt, but overall it was a reasonable intro to tellies for the layman.
I wonder how many took out their chainsaws and tried to cut tubes in half afterwards!
And by the way, the standards converter rack still sits beside Gerry's bed!
- Jeremy

Jeremy
G8MLK, BVWS member, BVWTVM Friend
For Pamphonic information have a look at http://www.pamphonic.co.uk

Posted : 20/10/2013 8:08 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

There is another version which seems to be of better quality at a quick glance.

Part one is here:

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 20/10/2013 10:32 pm
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered

I watched that series when it was first aired. I thought at the time that incinerating the old TVs was a bit harsh, as back then they still had some resale value. I used to sell similar sets for £20 or so, that I had salvaged and repaired.

One thing I wondered was how they made a plasma globe out of old TV parts. I wanted to do that! Plasma globes were a trendy but expensive item then. In 1990 I bought a commercially made plasma globe. Opening it revealed what looked like a line output transformer from one of those cheap 5" mono TV sets. Making the electronics at home appeared to be possible, but how could Rex and Tim have made the glass globe?

Tim Hunkin, who created the series, gave his permission for people to download it freely. You can download all the episodes here: http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/
The downloads can be saved and watched offline. They're all quite entertaining and informative.

Posted : 21/10/2013 7:50 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

Youtube is awash with videos demosntrating how to use LOPTs to power tesla coils and other high voltage experiments which means of course there will be fewer available to restore old TV sets. :bbd

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 24/10/2013 9:31 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)

I remember the programme well. There was also a series made by Granada I think around the same time which involved many old sets being destroyed, a Thorn 1500 was left intact, working to display the title of the programme. Don't recall the title of it now.

Cheers,
Brian

Posted : 31/10/2013 4:42 pm
Share: