Thorn 1500 VT10 type TVT 7

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Anyone know a suitable replacement for the above? The Radio & TV Servicing info gives suitable replacement types for all diodes and transistors bar this one. It's used as the flywheel DC amp and is a NPN type.

Cheers,
Brian

Posted : 08/06/2016 12:12 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Easy, TVT7 was Thorns internal component Id naming system, the transistor in question was a BC117. Quite why Thorn did this alternative naming is beyond me, it just introduced another layer of unnecessary complexity.

Anyway that's history, if you don't have any BC117 you can use a BF257 or a BF297

Edit: I'm working on a page for the main website that will help folk decode all Thorns internal Id's for components. I'll extend the scope of the document to include earlier B&W chassis.
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/brcthorn-component-guide/

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 08/06/2016 12:29 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The BC117 is a high voltage transistor, a suggested replacement is the BF178.
Hi Brian, if you are needing a BC117 I might have one somewhere.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 08/06/2016 12:45 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

That's brilliant, many thanks to you both!
Cheers
Brian

Posted : 08/06/2016 1:03 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Easy, TVT7 was Thorns internal component Id naming system, the transistor in question was a BC117. Quite why Thorn did this alternative naming is beyond me, it just introduced another layer of unnecessary complexity.

The idea was that any transistor designated as 'TVT7' by Thorn could be fitted in this position, regardless of the actual type number or manufacturer. The idea was it made it simpler for the dealer - you just said "I'd like 10 TVT7s, please" and you'd get whatever was the flavour of the month - or was available - with Thorn.

Posted : 08/06/2016 5:23 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

you've solved a puzzle for me, I have a little filing cabinet full of Thorn components which are all in envelopes. At the top of the envelope is the Thorn code, some have card inserts. Now I know why under the code the packets contain so many different types.

I was finding it very confusing whilst trying to document the codes when some transistors/diodes were turning up all over the place.
:ccb

Thank You :thumb

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 08/06/2016 5:42 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

De rien :qq1

Posted : 08/06/2016 5:49 pm