Trying to get a Bush Ranger 2 to work.

11 Posts
4 Users
18 Likes
Charles
(@charles)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Have one of these. Used to hook it up to a video and worked but with no sound. Then added a free view box (I live in Denmark). Great picture but no sound. Also attached a portable DVD which was hooked up to a bird box camera. Could view it on both screens. Sound from DVD player only. Then got an RF modulator and dispensed with the video machine.

All worked well. I had sound and picture from my free view on the Bush set. Also, could connect the DVD player and watch it on the T.V. I left it on the freeview and forgot about it. When I came back about 5 hours later the picture had gone.

Next day started again and got a poor quality picture but with OK sound. The nest box picture had degraded  as had the DVD picture but neither to the same extent. The TV picture when playing freeview has a series of fine horizontal lines about 1 cm apart. The picture has to be viewed with the brightness quite high. There is also a white glow from the right edge and a loss of quality from the left couple of inches.  

It seems that the TV has developed a fault. I like the set. It's fun to be using it but I suspect it needs some work. Difficult over here. Not much interest in repairing. Any thoughts. 

Thanks, Charles.

Posted : 15/04/2020 4:24 pm
Charles
(@charles)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

When I said not much interest in repairing I meant can't find anyone to do it. I am interested in fixing it. 

Thanks, Charles.

Posted : 15/04/2020 4:27 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

What experience have you with repairing TV’s? It just gives a pointer to where to start with advice.

One easy thing is to have a look inside the set, unplug from the power and check for damaged or stressed components. Electrolytic capacitors leaking or bulging, burned resistances or other burned/overheated parts. They may well be faulty and causing the fault or damaged by a faulty component.

Careful with the CRT, the base is small and easily broken, carefully also with the final anode connection, they can hold a large charge for quite a long time.

Do you have the service manual for the set? It could be worth uploading a couple of clear photos of the chassis.

Frank

Posted : 15/04/2020 6:35 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Firstly, welcome to the forum ? 

The Ranger 2 is from 1978, it uses the RRI T16A chassis (Ranger 1,2 & 3 all used it). The TV model number is BM6514 and would be visible on a silver sticker at the rear left-hand side. I have the service data for the set and will scan it for the data library, I'll e-mail a copy to Charles.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 15/04/2020 6:47 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Service data for the TV has now been scanned, its available in the site data library. Also e-mailed a copy to Charles. ? 

Posted : 15/04/2020 7:06 pm
Jayceebee, Red_to_Black, Nuvistor and 6 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

@charles

In your e-mail to me you stated you're a complete novice and will be exploring some more repair-shop leads in Denmark.

You might not be aware, but we have another member who's also located in Denmark, his name is Alex and his forum ID is @acj1980. I've no idea geographically, how far apart you guys are, but you might consider hooking up as Alex is very experienced in vintage electronic repair. You guys could form our first European "Radios-TV/VRAT" meet-up in Denmark. ? 

Just a thought, its always so much easier to learn when someone is physically looking over your shoulder.

p.s.
As I've used the mention feature, Alex will now be aware of this thread via e-mail and via the real-time site notification system.

Posted : 16/04/2020 10:48 am
Charles
(@charles)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@nuvistor

Hi Frank, not sure how to reply will just try sending this as a test.

Regards Charles.

Posted : 16/04/2020 6:21 pm
Charles
(@charles)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Frank, 

that seemed to work. I have no experience in repairing T,Vs, After a lot of huffing and puffing I can  wire up a plug. So that's the level we are at. I am quite adept with a chainsaw but I don't think that's a transferable skill.  The service data has been kindly e mailed to me by Chris . I will  take a pic of the set in action and try to get it to you both. As well as a tv novice I am not too good at the internet thing and this is my first forum. 

Thanks for your help,

Charles.

Posted : 16/04/2020 6:40 pm
Charles
(@charles)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@crustytv

Hello. Thanks for the contact. I can see that its a big advantage to have someone with you to learn from. Will try to send you a pic of the set in action so you can see the faults.

Thanks for all your help.

Charles.

Posted : 16/04/2020 6:53 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable Member Registered

If by any chance you need some parts I may be able to help as I have several of these and they're not all in good shape.

Cheers

Neil.

Posted : 19/04/2020 9:13 pm
Charles
(@charles)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

@neil1974

Hi Neil,

thats very kind of you. It might take me a while to work it out ....or more likely for someone else to diagnose the problem. But I will take you up on it.

I think its a good looking little set. 

Regards,

Charles.

Posted : 20/04/2020 7:54 pm
Share: