TV Identity

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
KW2000A
(@kw2000a)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Bit of a long shot. Badged as AFTRON not too many reach Europe...so far. Can anyone identify the original design? No markings on the PCB or elsewhere.....Sorry about the picture quality.Many thanks.

Posted : 07/09/2015 6:26 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Wish I could help but its all a bit too new for me to be able to offer any thoughts. Hopefully one of the other members who worked in the latter years of the trade, might recognise it.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 07/09/2015 10:02 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

To me it has a Samsung or Toshiba look about it, any photos of the print side and back cover label?

John.

John.

Posted : 07/09/2015 10:38 pm
KW2000A
(@kw2000a)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Thank you Gentlemen.I did have Samsung in mind too. Here's three more photos - hasten to add this is more academic than urgent since ths receiver is working perfectly well. Many thanks...

Posted : 08/09/2015 4:34 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

After seeing the print side I'm pretty sure now that the chassis is of Samsung manufacture, the length of the model number is also a clue. Looking at the vertical PCB with the two inductors in your original pic I had a suspicion it was fitted with a very wide angle "Slim Fit" CRT, your picture of the CRT label confirms that.

John.

John.

Posted : 08/09/2015 9:06 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

I worked for Mastercare for 23 years and have worked on lots of unusual sets but never seen this chassis before, Malc.

Posted : 08/09/2015 11:10 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Hi Malc,

Slim Fit was the last gasp for CRT sets in this country introduced around 2006, the deflection angle was I think 120 degrees and in 4:3 format they were just about acceptable. In 16:9 they were appalling and very heavy, purity and convergence were dreadful all to save a couple on inches on the back cover. There was an experimental CRT at an insane 140 degrees produced by Thomson but it was a non starter.

I believe you can still buy them in Asia, I have relatives in Thailand and visited them about three years ago. Plenty different makes and models in Tesco Lotus and Big C (think Asda) but only available in 4:3 format.

John

John.

Posted : 09/09/2015 12:17 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Hi John, i serviced loads of the Samsung Slimfit sets at work. The few which had the crt,s made in Korea gave a very good display, but most of the crt,s were made in Hungary and the purity/convergence was bad. Lots of problems with the loptx/line output stage. Missing or wrong colours due to faulty resistors on crt base was very common. Very heavy set needed a two man lift, Malc.

Posted : 09/09/2015 10:12 am
KW2000A
(@kw2000a)
Active Member Registered
Topic starter

Grateful thanks to all. Most helpful.Mods: this thread may usefully now be closed.

Posted : 11/09/2015 11:50 am
Share: