TV On Film

29 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

We've seen several TV sets on films and television programmes over the years, usually in the background or glimpses of one. Sometimes I've seen black and white sets with superimposed colour pictures.

Here's an interesting one from the 1969 film, "The Killing of Sister George" shown on Taking Pictures TV recently.

This shows a Rediffusion model which appears to be a variant of a Bush TV135, though with a turret type VHF tuner.

Brian

IMG 20180517 060934

Posted : 17/05/2018 12:38 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Topic starter

Anyone else watch the three part series with Hugh Grant playing Jeremy Thorpe? Can't recall the title at the moment.

They magically ''Converted" a GEC 2013(?) and a Thorn 1500 into colour sets!

IMG 20180604 105327
IMG 20180604 105236

Posted : 04/06/2018 11:01 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Amazing what a bit of cheating can do eh?

Or was it the "magic" plastic that was stuck on, like this one below. Anyone recognise the Ogden's set?

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 04/06/2018 11:13 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: Focus Diode

Anyone else watch the three part series with Hugh Grant playing Jeremy Thorpe? Can't recall the title at the moment.

A Very English Scandal.

I'm astonished the production company didn't use real colour TVs - it's not like there aren't any hire companies that can supply 'workers'...

From a review in The Independent:

I especially relished the forensic attention to period detail – the authentic Hoovers, the Austin Allegro police car, the disco music – Gonzalez (“Haven’t Stopped Dancing yet”), Amii Stewart (“Knock on Wood”) – people smoking on the bus, and the BBC Radio 2 jingle. It took me back, I must say.

Posted : 04/06/2018 11:18 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Posted by: Cathovisor

A Very English Scandal.

I'm astonished the production company didn't use real colour TVs - it's not like there aren't any hire companies that can supply 'workers'...

I have been told that whether it be a mono or colour television set that is required to be shown working on a program all the production company require is a raster to be visible on the screen of the TV in question, the telly doesn't need to be fully working just so long as there is something to light the tube and they add what ever footage is needed later. All cleaver stuff to me but I guess Catho will be familiar with how it works.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 04/06/2018 11:44 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

They magically ''Converted" a GEC 2013(?) and a Thorn 1500 into colour sets!

IMG 20180604 105327
IMG 20180604 105236

I've seen a Thorn 1500 set displaying a colour picture on program recently, but I can't remember what it was, but it wasn't the programme mentioned here.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 04/06/2018 12:53 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Topic starter

Jon- the 1971 film, "Percy" also saw a 1500 set displaying a colour picture. Come to think of it the 3000s were similarly styled with just one extra knob. The 1500s are much lighter in weight though!

They were some colour sets displaying pictures on, "A Very British Scandal" too, mainly portables.

A closer look at the GEC set also reveals it's switched to a VHF 405-line channel!

Posted : 04/06/2018 3:55 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

I have a feeling it was on one of those "It was OK in the 70's" type programmes.

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 04/06/2018 6:28 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: PYE625

Amazing what a bit of cheating can do eh?

Or was it the "magic" plastic that was stuck on, like this one below. Anyone recognise the Ogden's set?

Aye, an' wot wor that radio wot wer just visible wen 'Ilda slapped yon cullerred plastic on Eddie's chest?

I do remember those filters, and I recall there were several versions, including one with three bands, blue at the top, brown/beige in the middle and green at the bottom. More sophisticated versions also had vertical coloured sections at the sides of the screen.

You might just about get away with an episode of Emmerdale Farm where Jack was out ploughing in the far field, but far less so if watching the Snooker, or the Nine o' clock News. Oh, and if Jack brought his Fordson Major right up to the camera, it was supposed to be blue, with orange wheels!

"And for those of you watching in black and white, the blue ball is next to the green......."

Now then, how much did Eddie say it costs for a colour telly? - Was that right? I seem to recall a new set was a lot more than that.

Posted : 04/06/2018 8:38 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Topic starter

I used to watch snooker in black and white. One came accustomed to the difference shades of the balls.

Posted : 04/06/2018 8:45 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I used to watch snooker in black and white. One came accustomed to the difference shades of the balls.

Indeed, and if truth be told, colour telly wasn't much of an enhancement in the early days, especially on long camera shots - colour almost lost, often out of register with the luma, and even in the last days of analogue TV (2012) I can remember it being difficult at times, in long shots, to distinguish the brown from the reds, and sometimes the green from the blue. Remove the colour and all was revealed in glorious shades of grey!

Of course, Eddie Yates' coloured filter would have made a total banjax out of that!

Posted : 04/06/2018 8:52 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I thought the radio was a "Defiant", but not sure now.

The program showing on their TV set was "Crown Court" ?  A rather boring program that came on at lunch time after Pipkins or whatever lol.... Or after Pebble Mill at One perhaps ?  

Posted : 04/06/2018 9:19 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Topic starter

Think it was, "Crown Court". Would make sense seeing that was made by Granada as well!

The TV looks like a Thorn 1400. In an earlier episode the same (or an identical model) was seen close up and was seen to bear the old style Granada arrow badge.

Posted : 05/06/2018 10:56 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I watched an episode of Crown Court on youtube this evening and I have to admit it was only slightly more interesting to me now than back when I was a nipper.  ? 

Posted : 05/06/2018 8:30 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I feel I must take back my above insinuation that Crown Court is boring.

This particular episode was rather good I thought....

Apologies for straying from the original topic somewhat.

Posted : 05/06/2018 9:50 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Fulchester. This is the programme where Viz got the name from.

Posted : 05/06/2018 9:59 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Loved watching the ones with John Barron playing the judge.

John.

Posted : 05/06/2018 10:17 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Topic starter

I remember the jury were selected from members of the public rather than scripted guilty or not guilty verdicts. What made it so good.

John Barron was always my favourite judge.

Posted : 06/06/2018 10:17 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Topic starter

Currently enjoying the 1971 London Weekend drama, "The Guardians" via the Network DVD set.

Some interesting sets including this rather tatty Ferguson 3000 chassis with the Ferguson branding concealed by black PVC tape. The set couldn't have been more than two years old.

The current episode I'm watching deals with tracking down a pirate channel. Nice shots of aerials and a distant shot of the EBC1 test card from a Sony portable.

A great series, highly recommended.

IMG 20180702 101251
IMG 20180702 101149
IMG 20180702 100020

Posted : 02/07/2018 9:18 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Sorry Brian not a 3000 but a 17" 8000 or later 8000A version of the Ferguson 3712, a set Chris would dearly love to get hold of although I believe he has been promised an incomplete Marconi equivalent. 

John.

Posted : 02/07/2018 1:22 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: