Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Washing TV Chassis --In The Bath....?

Page 1 / 2

Alastair
(@alastair)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

I was reading--Over there,--a thread where Mr Phelan was claiming he used to renovate Philips G6 sets, when they were two a penny 'give-aways' with other sets at second-hand outlets...

He claims he used to remove the chassis and wash it in the bath.....

Now--The thing is, it was not elaborated on whether he removed any of the boards, LOPT or other items before the washing.
--It seems pointless --just to wash the metalwork of the chassis, and rather detrimental to immerse the boards in any water, particularly those with small inductors and fine wire coils/connections....

Maybe it was just a sorta weird joke or something.....

Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2013 10:01 pm
Jamie
(@jskinner97)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I prefer the softer approach with a tooth brush! :O

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2013 10:18 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Illustrious V-Ratter Deactivated Account

In the 1980s the Factory part of where I did R&D replaced Freon/Trike with plain water wash for assembled PCBs. Certain parts come with sealing labels to be removed after cleaning.

If there is a final rinse with pure water and then forced air drying most parts will not have time to corrode.

But some parts might need pre-sealing with grease/wax/petroleum jelly etc.

Unless the chassis/PCB was too bad to work on I wouldn't bother. I do have a stiff artist's brush.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2013 10:21 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I put my TV chassis in the washing machine and set it on programme 11 went shopping and when I came back the misses had ironed it as well. ::::)

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2013 10:23 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)

Well--I might just give this a try.

Ive a pretty grubby Murphy (Bush TV145) that has an iffy LOPT currently in the airing cupboard....
--Think I'll pull the timebase board--assuming its plugged--and give this a try.

It really is pretty grubby, be nice to see the board instead of crud and gunk! :=D

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2013 10:50 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)

Well--Its now soaking in hot soapy water.....

I'll leave it stew for a little while then flush with lots of fresh-water and dry.... We see how it ends up.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/05/2013 11:11 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I've done it before today, and the pressure washer bit as well.. Mind you, I inadvertantly blew all the dag off a tube in a Philips KT3 that way - it still worked OK though!

I use a compressed airline to 'chase' water off the boards and chassis, and out of IF cans and transformers etc.. But, my secret weapon is the dehumidifier, which I leave running for a few days, with the chassis in the direct flow of air from the vents.. Alternatively, a large airing cupboard will serve edmirably well, and possibly, even better.

The main thing is not wash the chassis, then plug it straight into the mains ::::)

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2013 11:11 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)

Well--Its certainly Clean!--Which is nice.

--Almost looks new--except for the discolouration around the valve-bases of the PCL805 and the PL509...

Even those solid carbon flesh-colour resistors that always seem to look dirty and nasty look like new.
The blue and white Dubilier caps look almost 'nice'

This board did work OK, giving a good field and line-scan for the short time the LOPT allowed the set to work. We'll see what its like in the next few weeks, as the LOPT has only been in the airing-cupboard for a few days so far--Maybe that'll help it, maybe not...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/05/2013 12:01 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

I use a compressed airline to 'chase' water off the boards and chassis, and out of IF cans and transformers etc.. But, my secret weapon is the dehumidifier, which I leave running for a few days, with the chassis in the direct flow of air from the vents..

Thank goodness for that, I was beginning to think I was the only person here who owned a dehumidifier? It's also a useful source of distilled water for steam irons and the like to stop them from scaling up.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2013 2:09 am
Refugee
(@refugee)
Famed V-Ratter Deactivated Account

I have seen scope boards being cleaned with foam cleaner and scrubbing brush then they were immersed in tap water to rinse.
They were left in a converted filing cabinet with a fan heater blowing in through a hole in the side at the bottom for several days.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2013 3:19 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)

When i worked on the Rediffusion MK1 test rig the dirty panels were washed with foam cleaner and rinsed under the tap. They were then dried in front of a fan heater. 8))

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2013 9:47 am
Refugee
(@refugee)

I take the PCB and switches out of my old PS2 keyboards before they get a scrub in the sink.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2013 10:47 am
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)
Reputable V-Ratter Deactivated Account

I find the best way to clean a chassis is in the dishwasher, they really come up like new, I do remove any transformers first though!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2013 1:21 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

Years ago i put an injector pump from a Perkins diesel engine in our dishwasher to de-grease it. It came out looking like new but you should have seen the state of the dishwasher. Er indoors went off it!! :omg:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2013 1:28 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)

Years ago i put an injector pump from a Perkins diesel engine in our dishwasher to de-grease it. It came out looking like new but you should have seen the state of the dishwasher. Er indoors went off it!! :omg:

Ouch :( ::::) :(

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2013 2:30 pm
Spot-Wobble
(@spot-wobble)
Honorable V-Ratter Deactivated Account

In the past I have had to wash pcbs in hot soapy water and a hot plain water rinse afterwards.
The only way of getting pussy pee off the board before it rotted the components. Got rid of the nasty smell too!

Andy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2013 11:27 am
Alastair
(@alastair)

Seeing the timebase board came up so well, I think I'll do the IF Strip too.... :thumbr:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/05/2013 1:49 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Seeing the timebase board came up so well, I think I'll do the IF Strip too.... :thumbr:

Hi.
IF boards will need a lot longer in the airing cupboard or fan heater. Use a dehumidifier if you have one.

A compressor and airline are very effective at 'chasing' water off PC boards (and chassis) and with care, from in and around the IF cans :thumbr:

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2013 10:13 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Illustrious V-Ratter Deactivated Account

I wonder if the handheld steam cleaner I have would be of any use for cleaning up old kit. It has a small nozzle so can be directed quite accurately at problem areas. I can see both advantage and disadvantage in using one of these. The advantage is that the steam should should not contain any metallic ions that could cause subsequent breakdown. The disadvantage I can forsee is that steam may penetrate further into components and make it difficult to dry them out without changing their properties.

Most of the work that I do is on test equipment and amplifiers so I rarely come across any thing that needs more than a brush out or a little light compressed air.

Al

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2013 11:53 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I wonder if the handheld steam cleaner I have would be of any use for cleaning up old kit.
Al

I'd be a tad concerned about the high teperatures, and the potential to damage certain parts, and especially, plastic parts.. I think any waxies would just melt away in the presence of steam.

Steam cleaning would be very effective, but I'd be a bit fearful of being able to keep the steam away from sensitive items.

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/05/2013 12:10 am
Page 1 / 2