What is this Defiant TV?

23 Posts
6 Users
24 Reactions
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

Does anyone know what model this is. I think it's probably early 1960s and it's been in my parent's garage for years. It's now mine and I'm trying to decide it's fate. Is it worthy of restoration. By the way, it doesn't work at the moment. When I switched it on nothing appeared to happen (no valves glowed) for a few seconds then there were a couple of sparks, then I switched it off!

20180708 111841[165580]
20180708 111804[165579]

Posted : 08/07/2018 10:57 am
Alex728, ntscuser, Alex728 and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

First of all, a very warm welcome to the forum.  ? 

This is a 1958 Defiant 7109 405-line television receiver and was manufactured by the Co-op, it uses the Plessey chassis. I had the Pageant version of this set that I restored six years ago, it used the exact same chassis,  you can follow it here on our old forum http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1417 . It will give you an idea of what the set looks like inside, what is entailed in a repair and the type of results you can hope to achieve when its finished.

Valve Line-up

• V1 30L1 RF amp
  • V2 30C1 Osc Mixer
  • V3 EF85 Common IF Amp
  • V4 30F5 Vision IF Amp
  • V5 6D2 Vision detector & interlace diode
  • V6 30F5 Video Amp
  • V7 30FL1 ½ line osc & Sync Separator
  • V8 PCL82 Frame Osc and output
  • V9 30F5 Sound IF Amp
  • V10 6D2 sound interference limiter & AGC clamp diode
  • V11 30PL1 Sound amp & output
  • V12 30P4 ½ line osc & line output
  • V13 U191 Efficiency Diode
  • V14 U26 EHT rectifier
  • V15 CME-1702 17" CRT
  • V16 PY32 HT rectifier

As for what you should do with it? That depends on how you feel and what your experience is? What tools you have to hand? If you're new to TV repair its not an impossible task, you will find lots of help here and advice to you keep you and the set safe. Members will be more than happy to talk you through all the necessary steps.

One thing to note, if you wish to use it to watch TV or DVD's on this set you will need to buy a "standards converter". This unit is called an Aurora , it takes a 625-line signal ( from say a DVD player, FreeView or VHS player) and converts it to what this TV needs, namely 405-lines. This Aurora box will set you back £200. 

Now you have to decide if you wish to proceed.

p.s.

Unless you have some sort of appreciation and or understanding of vintage electronics and the associated risks, you should not really power it up again without seeking further advice. You could cause untold damage to the set or worse still yourself. Old TV's can be replaced, there are many, there is only one you!

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 08/07/2018 11:18 am
Alex728, ntscuser, Alex728 and 3 people reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Yes , welcome to the forum, no point in repeating Chris’s good advice. The cabinet looks in nice condition, it’s not always the case.

Frank

Posted : 08/07/2018 12:03 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi Chris. Thank you for all the information. I'm not surprised by the Co-op link, my parents seemed to buy everything from there. To be honest, electronics aren't my forte and looking at its insides, I wouldn't know where to start. If it was made of wood I would be more up my street. I also don't have the tools to repair it or the space to keep it when restored. But I just don't want to take it to the dump. I'm happy to give it away to a good home if someone out there would like to restore it. All I would ask is they send me photos or video of the restored set.

Posted : 08/07/2018 7:32 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: defianttv57

[..]  I just don't want to take it to the dump. I'm happy to give it away to a good home if someone out there would like to restore it. All I would ask is they send me photos or video of the restored set.

That's a very thoughtful and kind offer  ? many would not have hesitated to just bin it and that would be such a shame for a set that has survived 60 years.

If you could give an indication of what county you're in, I'm sure its highly probable one of our TV members will be within travelling distance of you. I'm equally sure they would post a repair thread here where you could follow the TV's return to working order.

The service data is already in our technical library so the new owner will have all the info they require to make a start on it.

I hope you find someone willing to take it off your hands.

Posted : 08/07/2018 7:42 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I would be more than willing to offer the set a good home and perform repairs/restoration etc plus naturally post it all here, but of course it depends upon the location. If there is someone nearer who may want it, then no problem of course. ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 08/07/2018 8:02 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Hello again

I'm in Suffolk. Is there anyone out there close enough to give the set a good home?

Posted : 09/07/2018 6:08 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Well now....Suffolk is next County so to speak, I live near to Ely in Cambs.

Give it a few day's, and unless anyone else steps in, I will gladly have the set if that is ok ?

Posted : 09/07/2018 6:54 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I'd just like to say that if the set ends up with a member on this forum, its future is assured - as you may have seen, we have some talented restorers here who can recover a set from a gutted cabinet upwards to a working set.

Stick around and you'll see it back to its former glory again.

Posted : 09/07/2018 10:33 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Following on from Cathovisor's comments above you can be well assured that Andrew (PYE625) would be an extremely safe pair of hands to take care of your television and you'll be able to follow the Defiant's progress right here on the forum too.  ? 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 09/07/2018 10:45 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The name Defiant has a bit of a story to it, known by the regular members but perhaps new to you.

The well known makes Ekco, Bush etc used dealerships to sell and maintain their sets, discounting the price was not allowed if the dealer wanted to keep the agency. The Coop gave a yearly or half yearly dividend to its members depending on how much they spent.

The Coop approached the set makers but were given the cold shoulder due to the Divi, the Coop then used Plessey to build its radios and TV’s and took the name Defiant to show what they thought of the ‘big’ names in the industry.

Years later Defiant badged radios and TV’s were made by the big set makers.

As others have stated,  Andrew will be a safe pair of hands to restore the TV.

Frank

Posted : 09/07/2018 11:18 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Thank you all for your interest and I feel the set will be in good hands with PYE625. Thank you Nuvistor for the history of the name. As well as being very interesting and amusing and I suppose it also showed the power of the Coop at the time that they could go to a manufacturer and commission their own brand.

PYE625 - so how shall we do this handover?

Posted : 10/07/2018 7:24 am
Alex728, Alex728 and Alex728 reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

To protect your privacy as this is a public thread, its best now to use the forums private messaging system to conclude the transfer.

If you are unfamiliar with this forum software, a guide can be found in our FAQ section here  https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/faq-members-only/how-to-access-and-use-the-pm-system/

Posted : 10/07/2018 9:43 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

PM received/sent.   ? 

Suffolk is a large county and I was relieved to discover the town where the set resides is not too far away. ? 

It will be an interesting set and of some significance too as I used to work for a CO-OP service dept. in Peterborough. However, by 1987 when I was there, set's like this were certainly not still being rented out !  

Posted : 10/07/2018 5:10 pm
Alex728, Alex728 and Alex728 reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: PYE625

PM received/sent.   ? 

Suffolk is a large county and I was relieved to discover the town where the set resides is not too far away. ? 

Not in Felixstowe then! ? 

Looking forward to seeing a 405-line set restoration on here again.

Posted : 10/07/2018 5:26 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Knowing my luck, it could well have been.... but thankfully not lol.

Rest assured, every detail of the set will be posted here.....I am quite excited about it. Rather like the Baird from before last Christmas, it is a nice surprise out of the blue so to speak.

Posted : 10/07/2018 5:28 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Whilst sniffing around the old forum, I found a similar chassis set restored by our founder.... ? 

Posted : 10/07/2018 6:02 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Whilst sniffing around the old forum, I found a similar chassis set restored by our founder.... ? 

And may be of interest to one of our members:

http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1417&start=75#p22183

Posted : 10/07/2018 6:14 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

As already mentioned and linked to in my response to Chris (defianttv57), in post  #2 of this thread

Posted : 10/07/2018 6:17 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

Oh bother...yes, I've missed something yet again...think I'll go and hide for a while in embarrassment  ? 

Wish I could rewind and erase the tape from 7pm  ? 

Posted : 10/07/2018 7:02 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: