Notifications
Clear all

What model is this Bush TV? anyone recognise it?

Page 1 / 2

BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

I am trying to identify the model number for this empty Bush TV with no back cover. It looks to be very closely related to the TV125 based on the styling of the control panel. The reason for the question is I have a TV125 with a very poor case but tidy chassis so planned to swap everything over as it looks like physically it will all fit. However I don't really want to make up a set which looks like one model but has the internals of a very different model, hence being able to reference the original model number would be helpful. Its not a presentation I have come across before unlike the many TV125s that have survived. Thanks.

Dave

20190714 143555
20190714 143541
20190714 143535

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/08/2019 8:59 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Looks like a TV125, but the front is just that bit different.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2019 9:06 pm
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Frank, yes very similar but when you look at the 125 there are a fair few differences too, see the pic. This version looks I have  like a modernized and streamlined version.  

download

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/08/2019 9:38 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

This is a TV135LU that belongs to Andrew, Pye625, same chassis as a 125 but a Panorama CRT. Rank were must have been in the middle of changing things when these were produced.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/black-white-tvs/bush-tv135lu/

We were a Bush dealer from around 1963 but I don't remember seeing either the 135LU or your version of the set.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2019 11:00 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

When I get a day off I will look through my Bush manuals as they're in storage at the moment and usually have a picture on the front - but TV141 is coming to mind. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 3:27 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

If anyone needs to look at or inside of a TV141U let me know as I've got one. although its missing the volume/on/off knob ?.

Cheers

Neil.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 4:07 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

Not a TV141.

But hang on a minute... 

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1963-bush-tv125cu/

So at this point in time (STC) I'll say TV125U. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 4:44 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

There is the possibility that it's also a rental model, hence the different presentation. 

I'll look into it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 4:56 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

TV125R the rental version.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 5:10 pm
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Well that's interesting as I was unaware that RBM made sets at this time deliberately targeted at the rental market. So I think that we are settled that this is a TV125R so my TV125U doner set will be an ideal transplant to get this rather smart and unusual version going again. I dont think I have ever seen another so its probably quite a rarity given that most rental versions would likely been scrapped once returned from hire.  Out of interest who would have rented out this TV125R model? was it aimed at smaller independent outfits or larger multiple outlet rental companys ?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/08/2019 8:56 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @brc_3000

Well that's interesting as I was unaware that RBM made sets at this time deliberately targeted at the rental market

And even before they merged. Bush made sets like the TV81R which I think you'll find took some detective work to unearth its true origin - I believe our very own Katie Bush has one and the detective work is on this forum.

The 'R' models were usually shorn of any features and often put into cheaper cabinets too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 9:49 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

The TV125R was presented in a cabinet which had a semi gloss finish as opposed to the TV125 which had high gloss cabinet.

The TV125R was supplied to independent dealers so that they could get into the rental market, in fact the first Bush rental set was the TV83 which was housed in a leatherette style of cabinet.  The sets were supplied to the dealers at a slightly lower trade price but it's likely the rental sets didn't cost much less to make than the more up market models. 

Dealers could finance their rental business through Rank Credit Facilities.  This service helped them to rent colour TVs during the boom period in the early seventies.

Murphy was also keen to help dealers enter the rental trade. 

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/08/2019 9:54 pm
BRC 3000 liked
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Repaired a fair few of the 125, 135 and 141 back in the early 70's. Great sets and always gave a good account of themselves.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2019 8:18 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @till

in fact the first Bush rental set was the TV83 which was housed in a leatherette style of cabinet. 

I'm not entirely sure that's true. The TV83/85 were offered to the public in that leatherette cabinet (as opposed to the wooden TV84/86) on the basis of both being cheaper and as an alternative finish to dreary wood. Think of it as the modern Bakelite offering.

There were however definite rental models, with the suffix -R and with numbers that only appear in separate manuals; I'll have to check, but things like flywheel sync were omitted from the rental models. As mentioned earlier, I think there's a TV81R but I will have to go through the two huge boxes of only partly sorted original service manuals I have.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2019 2:11 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Can't remember a TV81R but we're discussing TV sets that were ten years old fifty years ago.

Way back in 1972 or was it '73 I protested to the sales rep about the price I was paying for such horrible sets like the Murphy V2023 and it's Bush equivalent.  The same sets were priced up in the discount stores for the same figures as I was paying for what was supposed to be trade prices!  His answer: " they buy a lot of sets"   Comet were offering an Arena badged version of the V2023, again very much cheaper than I could sell the Bush models for.  His answer: "the Arena set is housed in a cheaper to make cabinet". That's rubbish! the sets were made on the same production lines.   The truth is the only thing that the independent dealer had over the discounters was better service.  That's what kept us going in the seventies, and TV rental.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2019 3:17 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

The only rental version I came across in any number was the TV135RU, a completely different set to the TV135U. The non rental was about £10 more expensive but much more reliable. Signal were stages transistor with video output, sound output and timebases valve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2019 8:47 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)

Hi Frank, the TV135 employed germanium transistors in the signal processing circuits.  I seem to remember the set had exceptionally good performance in bad signal areas.

The TV135R was nothing special.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2019 9:01 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

It was a really good performer, very impressed with that TV?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/08/2019 10:39 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @till

Hi Frank, the TV135 employed germanium transistors in the signal processing circuits.  I seem to remember the set had exceptionally good performance in bad signal areas.

According to the October 1965 issue of Wireless World it had transistor-amplified AGC, transistor stabilised HT and a brightness compensation circuit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2019 1:38 am
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Having established that the case I have is for the rental version it would be nice to know what electrical circuit differences there were between the TV125 and the R version. As I intend to build this set up using a scrap TV125 it would nice to keep its circuitry historically correct, ie would this R version had flywheel sync etc. That way I could make any relevant mods to my Tv 125 chassis to keep it true to its intended purpose. I wonder if a R version manual for the TV125 survives anywhere ?

Dave

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/08/2019 8:53 pm
Page 1 / 2