Notifications
Clear all

What's in your pile?

Page 1 / 2

Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Just seeing Lloyd's storage unit in the '405 brigade' thread has made me wonder..........

What do you all have salted away in the darkest recesses, just waiting for their day(s) on the bench?

I have a few, though by the look of things not many compared to some, sets in storage. I stuffed a vintage (1974) touring caravan with some of my best, and first in the collection, but then ran out of space. In the cabin, there are a few more, not so many, and not enough to displace all the junk that's gravitated into there, and now I have a 20 foot ex Royal Mail parcel van body that I've been filling up since about Christmas time. As to how many sets that all adds up to is anybody's guess now, but I'll see if I can dig out my camera over the next few days and post a picture or two.

There are radios, B&W TVs, colour TVs (though not very many), a tiny few record players and a small assortment of test gear.

Perhaps a trawl through the piles will unearth something special? Or at least evoke a desire to get some on the bench?

Oh dear, what a weird thought? - We've all got piles!fright Maybe it's time to get together and find a cure.......innocentrolf_gif

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/02/2017 8:38 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Katie_Bush said
Perhaps a trawl through the piles will unearth something special? Or at least evoke a desire to get some on the bench?

Oh dear, what a weird thought? - We've all got piles!fright Maybe it's time to get together and find a cure.......innocentrolf_gif  

I wish I did have piles grin_gif......of stuff to look at that is.

I tend to get excited and have to start on something as soon as I get it home.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2017 9:24 pm
freya
(@freya)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

You and me both Andrew, still got a good two or three televisions that need niggling faults sorted.

Got another wormy Ekco TS105 coming after Harpenden which will be my excitement for the year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2017 9:17 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Hi all,

I've not been around here much lately due to work being crazy!

I have obtained a few new sets (well it was my birthday) to add to the pile, so here are a few pictures for you.

No real idea of working condition as yet, not sure when I will know either while work remains so busy. 

1st up is the dual standard Baird M664. Its a big old lump!

Baird.jpg

Next is a dual standard Ultra 6649 (I think) 1400 series.

Ultra-1.jpg

Now something a bit different from the Murphy stable. A dual standard V1913.

Murphy-V1913.jpg

Murphy-V1913-controls.jpg

Murphy-v1913-inside.jpg

Finally a couple of 1500 series in different overcoats. A Ferguson 3821 and a Marconi 4807 (I think)

Ferguson.jpgMarconi.jpg

I also have a couple of colour sets I will post in the colour section.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 2:32 am
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

Nice little selection there Jon. I do like the Baird M664, I've not seen that model before. 

Marc.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 2:48 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Hi Mark,

Me neither, it is massive!

Rear panel is a bit bashed up, but the set itself seem in tact.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 3:02 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

There is something about theses sets, they have a bit of character compared to the look of modern flat screen TV's.

I cannot tell one new TV to the next, they all look the same, well to me, no doubt others see a difference.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 6:16 am
PYE625
(@pye625)

Well Jon.... You are going to be busy with that lovely lot  winkthumb_gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 8:34 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Your not wrong there Andrew.

Plus what was in the pile before this lot arrived!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 1:56 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

The blue Murphy has had its LOPTX replaced by the look of it, the later type, the pitch ones did fail. Overall it was a good chassis and easy to fix if you had the spares on the van, very rare to take them to the workshop.

I get mixed up now with the chassis from this era, using the Bush model numbers, could never remember the Murphy ones. Is this a 141,148 or a 161 type chassis, I can see tbe A640 label.

Surprising what you remember and also forget after 40 years nearly most of those not in the TV repair job.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 6:49 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

Jon's sets are very interesting, particularly the very rare blue version of the Murphy.

Those first two sets, the Baird and Ultra 1400 chassis I suspect may have belonged to me some years ago, pre-2005 at least. I recall on my Baird the fine tuner 'skirt' was missing from the VHF control knob, as per the photo above. I remember the crt was absolutely brilliant in that one. The back cover was in good nick at that point and the set was on it's wooden legs. As for the Ultra, that was discovered discarded in a shop doorway in Leeds by a late friend of mine. The crt was flatter than flat, but we found a much better one and it became my 'daily driver' for a while. In fact I probably have a photo or two. It was a lovely telly.

I don't recall who I passed either of those sets on to, so if they are mine I'm absolutely delighted to know they survive. Where did they come from Jon? I'd love to know where they've been all these years.

Steve

PS Happy Birthday! birthday

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 8:07 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Hi Steve,

The Baird and Murphy came from a house clearance in Wilton, just outside Salisbury. That's all I know about their history, so I don't know if they might of been yours in the past.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2017 8:58 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

Hi Jon

I've found a couple of photos of my Ultra and it appears to have a little nick in the screen mask top left, the same as your set, so I'm 99.9% sure it's the same one. I'm also 99.9% sure the Baird used to be mine, as I also remember the missing bright ring on the volume control. It's too much of a coincidence for both sets to appear together. I'm sure you'll fimnd the Baird has a really superb bright crt.

The Ultra is pictured back in 1997 in my parents garage, where I had just changed the crt presumably on that tatty old tablecloth! It also came with me to my first house in 1999 and is pictured in the lounge when I'd just moved in.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how you get on with these sets.

Steve.

Ultra-1400a.jpgUltra-1400b.jpg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2017 9:31 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Hi Steve,

My mistake, I wrote Murphy and should of said Ultra.

Yes I agree it looks like it's the same set to me too.

Not sure how long it will be before they make it to the bench though.

I can't wait to give them a try and see what's what.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2017 10:22 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

nuvistor said
The blue Murphy has had its LOPTX replaced by the look of it.  

And almost everything else as far as I can see? I wouldn't even haven't recognised it as an A640 chassis but for the sticker. eek_gif

Props though to whoever replaced those parts in order to keep the set going. welld_gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2017 12:39 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

A few more additions to the pile.

Bush TV96

Ferguson 3643

Pye PTV

Ferguson 941

Pye VT4

Bush TV77

Lastly not particularly vintage, but I had one as a child a Sonetel MR-T750.

Jon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2018 12:03 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Those are some interesting additions - I look forward to following the restorations on them!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/01/2018 12:36 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Might be while Marion!

Still got loads going on at work plus my previous additions plus what was already in the queue! On the whole the sets seem in good original condition apart from the 941! It is quite wormy, but has been treated by the previous owner and will still need quite a bit cabinet work. The Sonetel was purchased for its case and a source of parts for a set I already own that was damaged quite badly due to very poor packing!

Jon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2018 12:52 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: TVJON74

A few more additions to the pile.

Ferguson 941

Ooooh you lucky xxxxx!!! I've been after one of those for ages. BBC1 only....the first TV I remember as a child. We had one when ITA started in 1956 and although I was only 4 at the time, I remember my brother bringing home something very interesting which he called a 'converter' which would allow us to watch the 'new ITA channel'. In great anticipation we waited while he connected it up. We were so close to Beulah Hill that BBC swamped the signal which caused massive herring-bone patterning (although I didn't understand any of that at the time of course) but it didn't bother us and I remember watching 'Popeye' for the first time and the fact that BBC could sometimes be seen floating faintly in the background didn't bother me one bit! By fitting interesting things called 'stubs' and 'attenuators' he eventually got rid of most of the cross mod. It actually sparked my interest in all things TV and radio......!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2018 11:35 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

I was very lucky in getting the Ferguson and it was totally by chance that it happened. While contacting a seller I was purchasing another set from, he just mentioned he had another set and was I interested? I said yes, what is it etc and that was that. When I picked it up I could hardly believe the size of it, it's a really compact little set.

Jon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2018 8:57 pm
Page 1 / 2