38 Posts
8 Users
12 Likes
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi all,

Just a little taster/teaser of a TV set I collected today, but your mission, should you chose to take it, is to identify the chassis - what make/what model are we looking at? - I already know of course, and to be truthful, I doubt it will be much of a challenge to the seasoned campaigner.

See the pictures below........

DSCN1743 (Custom)
DSCN1764 (Custom)
DSCN1745 (Custom)
DSCN1761 (Custom)
DSCN1762 (Custom)
DSCN1758 (Custom)

Name that set!

Now the "guess the chassis" game has revealed the set, the thread title has been updated, topic tags added and the topic moved to the B&W TV section. This makes sense to aid local searching and google indexing point of view.

Posted : 03/11/2018 10:17 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Honorable Member Registered

Bush TV115?

Cheers,
Trevor.
MM0KJJ. RSGB, GQRP, WACRAL, K&LARC. Member

Posted : 03/11/2018 10:36 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Trevor,

Certainly the right era, but not the 115. It is however a Bush. ? 

A little personal disclaimer - I'm not altogether certain of how all the variants of this chassis are tied together, so can't say 100% that it wouldn't appear as the 115 in another incarnation.

Keep trying!

Posted : 03/11/2018 11:05 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Looks very TV125 or 128 to me    ? 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 03/11/2018 11:08 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: Marc

Looks very TV125 or 128 to me    ? 

You rotter, you cad..... You've ruined my little teaser!

It is indeed a 125 (T125 C), and I'm curious about it too. It would appear to be functionally dual standard in all but a UHF tuner - i.e. it has a switchable I.F. strip as well as switchable timebase section, such that it looks as if you could mount and plug in a UHF tuner and it would be fully functional.

Now, who's the actor most likely to use the opening line of this post? Tenuously linked to the Rank Organisation, and appeared in quite a number of British films.

Posted : 03/11/2018 11:22 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

I reckon the TV125 with the 19" tube is the nicest size rather than the huge 23" version (TV128)

So it'll be out with the LOPT and re-insulate the overwind then  ?  

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 03/11/2018 11:38 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Nice easy conversion to UHF, sold many TV125 sets, some with the valve UHF tuner already installed.

Link, could it be Leslie Phillips?

Frank

Posted : 03/11/2018 11:48 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

The 115 didn't have the switchable IF strip and the VHF channel buttons were horizontal unlike the 125 that had vertical, same tuner or very similar. The line stage of the 115 was switchable unlike the very similar 105 that had no switching but a lever marked 405/625 connected to nothing.

The 105 and 115 were reliable sets the 125 decent but not as reliable as the earlier models, or at least that was my experience.

Frank

Posted : 03/11/2018 11:58 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

It's a very nice sized telly, and will be the 19" jobbie.....

Take a look at the last photo (LOPT) - it was changed not too long before the set was taken out of service, no nasty pitch covered overwind. The soldering of the connecting leads is clearly not factory, and the tape insulation is very clean and modern (as in 1970's type of modern) There is evidence of a few caps being changed in its past, about three, I could see. There are a couple of waxies, and a grey 'dubious' Dubilier and one of those blue/red electrolytics still in situ. The smoothers don't look too bad either - at least they're not bulging at the rubber bung!

The biggest issue is woodworm, and the cabinet bottom is to say the least, well ventilated. The seller has doused it in worm killer, but on taking the back cover off, I could see a whole lot more had been lunching on the side panels too. It really needs totally de-bagging and giving a full on bug hunt - it wouldn't hurt to clean out the cabinet anyway, and get rid of all the spider webs and dust, and clean the glass at the same time.

You know...... It's almost tempting to think it could be powered up as is, but I don't think it'll be getting that. Oh, and believe it or not, it still has a two pin (round pin) plug on it!

DSCN1769 (Custom)
DSCN1773 (Custom)
DSCN1758 (Custom)

Posted : 04/11/2018 12:03 am
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi Frank,

I can see how the system switching could lead to unreliability, and I seriously expected to see it all soldered up in the 405 position. It's a mucky looking switch with almost every single contact looking sooty black, and yet there is little evidence of smoke ingress - either from a coal fire, or from cigarettes. In fact, webs and dust aside, the chassis is quite clean.

The actor? - I had in mind Terry Thomas, but it could equally have been Leslie Philips. Two quite different characters, but with a similar manner of speech.

Posted : 04/11/2018 12:10 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I love these sets, so stylish. I kept very few B&W TV in my collection but still have my 1963 TV125CU. The "U" denoting it does have the UHF tuner fitted. 

If your set has not had the TH32 modification its very much advised to do so. This involves swapping the positions of TH32 (Thermistor ) with R358 , then changing R358 to a 10R-10W. This will have the effect of saving the thermistor, as in this new configuration it now only carries heater current.

You can have a read all about that and see more, in my TV125CU blog repair page here.

Look forward to yours making it to the bench.

p.s

You'll find some great tips covering the Bush/Murphy TV125-V849 in the blogs service department, Black & White servicing the sets section here

Also the Bush TV125 trader data already resides in the data library

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 04/11/2018 8:49 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I never could understand why they put a 300ma thermistor in series with both the heater string and HT line. The thermistors did fall apart with the excessive load, at least the modification was easy to do, only problem was that the old thermistor would fall apart when doing the job and new parts were required, easier just to fit new components.

Though not easy to find new parts these days.

Frank

Posted : 04/11/2018 9:05 am
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)

Blimey, I should have recognized it straight away. I passed on a TV128 a few years ago to one of the chaps here. Silly me ?

Cheers,
Trevor.

Posted : 04/11/2018 9:33 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

A chassis I am now quite familiar with....good NOT to see a horrible molten black pitch overwind on that LOPT ?  

PS, The PCL82 has yellow print, but hanging upside down will destroy any audio benefit the yellow print may invoke.    ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 04/11/2018 10:09 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I got it first off but missed the post until everyone else had answered! Repaired lots of these at my first job after leaving school. Good sets to work on as I recall but haven't seen one for something like 50 years.

Posted : 04/11/2018 10:18 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

From the sticker on the EHT rectifier socket it appears to be an OEM one, any identification on the LOPTX?

Frank

Posted : 04/11/2018 10:18 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Posted by: crustytv

I love these sets, so stylish. I kept very few B&W TV in my collection but still have my 1963 TV125CU. The "U" denoting it does have the UHF tuner fitted. 

If your set has not had the TH32 modification its very much advised to do so. This involves swapping the positions of TH32 (Thermistor ) with R358 , then changing R358 to a 10R-10W. This will have the effect of saving the thermistor, as in this new configuration it now only carries heater current.

You can have a read all about that and see more, in my TV125CU blog repair page here.

Look forward to yours making it to the bench.

Hi Chris,

I'd quite forgotten that you had one of these in your collection. One reason for my buying it was to save it from conversion into a drinks cabinet, and it was only about a 40 minute drive from here - I felt compelled to save it for future generations.

I'm not sure when it will get any bench time, but it is a real tempter, I have to say. To be honest, it's me who could do with some bench time! - On my back and aching joints, but we'll what happens with this set since it looks like an easy one to work on. The biggest problem is the sheer size of the thing - for a relatively small screen size it's a mighty big cabinet, and inch for inch, it's a bulkier set than my '53 Murphy V216C.

At the moment the set resides in the back of my Volvo V70, and I do need to shift it out of there pretty soon lest it becomes a shed for storing tellies. The prime concern at this stage is to rid the set of woodworm, which, if the weather permits I might look at tomorrow. Once 'de-bugged' it can join the other sets in my container for the moment.

And a nasty thought has just crossed my mind..... These Volvo cars have a wooden deck on the load space floor! I hope those little bugs don't start munching on that!

Posted : 04/11/2018 9:27 pm
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)

DSCF8222

This is the TV128C I passed on a few years ago, I think it was Marc it went to Via David Boynes.

Also some when the set arrived here

DSCF7641
DSCF7640
DSCF7639
DSCF7638
DSCF7637

Cheers,
Trevor.

Posted : 04/11/2018 9:53 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Trevor,

Yes it did eventually end up with me after it's very long  journey with David.

And here it is a couple of years ago mixed in with other sets in my collection....

DSCF3379 (Medium)

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 04/11/2018 10:44 pm
PYE625, MurphyV310, PYE625 and 3 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Oh aye, I have the legs for mine too!

Looking at some of the other pictures I've taken (not yet shown here), it would benefit from a new dropper. I also spotted a couple of 'Suflex' caps - not sure about their reliability?

If I could get it into a place where I could work on it/walk round it, I'd have a go at at it!... Let's see how enthused I become when I evict the spiders and woodworm.

Posted : 04/11/2018 10:53 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: