Featured
Latest
Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

[Closed] Beau Decca Mirror-lid TV/Radio - spot the theft.

65 Posts
13 Users
0 Reactions
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

Hi all.
I hope to be picking this set up tomorrow. It looks to be in excellent condition but unfortunately, the amp robbers have been there before me and stolen the PX4 amplifier. I believe, but I'm not sure, that the amp does not power anything else so The radio and TV cane be restored to working order using a temporary amplifier. I'll look around for a replacement - I have a pair of PX4s so one without valves will do. There does seem to be a dearth of information on these sets - at least I can't find any on the web and none of my discs etc. have anything. Has anyone got anything?
I'll post some more pictures when I've got it home. It does'n look as though it will need much cleaning! Hopefully, the exterior of the cabinet is as good as the interior as I've only seen a picture of the outside taken through the shop window!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 31/01/2014 7:31 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Brian,

Well well well that does look very clean, shame about the PX but never the less that looks great inside.
So what's the outside like ? Hope it's as good as the inside.

Look forward to seeing more of it. :aad

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 31/01/2014 7:58 pm
mark pirate
(@mark-pirate)
Honorable Member Registered

Shame that the audiophools have been up to their usual tricks :aaf
Is there a power supply in the bottom of the cabinet?
I can see a twisted cable going to the bottom near the base of the CRT.

Posted : 31/01/2014 8:15 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

What a great find Brian!

http://freespace.virgin.net/brian.beer/beaudec.htm
Forum 143

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 31/01/2014 8:33 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

I'm not sure of the power arrangements yet. I hope that the amp is just that and that the other two chassis are self powered!

Hi Peter - that's the Beau Decca that David Boynes rescued from its conversion to a radiogram. He made the top panel which had been hacked about. Luckily, no such mods have been made to this one - just the theft!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 31/01/2014 8:35 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

From what I can find, about 1948 although it looks later than that from the internals. As to the longshot lead for a manual, I have already sent a PM to him. His last post was in April 2013 so there is some hope.

Forum Memorial

Posted : 31/01/2014 8:56 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

I have just established that the missing chassis is the complete PSU supplying HT, EHT and heaters and carries 2 PX4s as a push-pull output stage. so the bar-steward who half inched the chassis ended up with something that was completely useless to him/her apart from a couple of audiophoolery valves. I almost hope he switched it on and - no I don't, I'm not that vindictive or am I............ :qq1?

Forum Memorial

Posted : 31/01/2014 9:27 pm
Paul_RK
(@paul_rk)
Reputable Member Registered

Ah, that's a shame, though a fine project. As a ten or eleven tear old in 1970-71 I bought the whole guts of a Beau Decca radiogram at my local auction - amplifier, tuner in full veneered casing which would have dropped into position in the radiogram cabinet, record deck and three 'speakers - for something in the region of £0.50, but I haven't a clue after all this time what became of it all and certainly I've not owned any of the major bits in the past 35 years. Somebody probably kept the cabinet for a worthwhile project, a blanket box maybe :bbd If I'd had the whole thing I would probably have contrived to preserve it until now.

I do remember that the tuner and amplifier were connected together via a standard octal plug and socket and I'm pretty sure the tuner derived its power requirements from the amp., but I couldn't say whether the TV version would be the same.

Paul

Posted : 31/01/2014 9:31 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

It is a pain that the amplifier is missing. The rest of the set looks like it is in fantastic condition.
Looking at the ghostly footprint the amplifier once sat on I would be inclined to say that you might end up having to build an amplifier and power supply.
The footprint looks about twice the size of 25W mono block amplifier.

Posted : 31/01/2014 9:39 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

I'm sure I will have to, Ref.
Fortunately, I have a friend who, I've just found out, has the same model and will lend me the chassis so that I can build a replacement. Another project to look forward to :cch :cch . He also has the service info so that's sorted too.

Forum Memorial

Posted : 31/01/2014 9:44 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

First light in a couple of days with the loan power supply?

Posted : 31/01/2014 10:05 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Brian,
I acquired my Beau Decca TV set in 1994. My set came with the radio and power supply units but the television chassis and CRT had been removed and a cream coloured BSR record deck substituted instead.
Fortunately I had a junk Defiant console TV set model TR1247 and so that set donated it's TV chassis to the Decca. A completely new CRT assembly was made to carry the Mazda CRM121.
The power chassis supplies all the demands of the TV and radio unit including mains derived EHT. The power and audio amplifier chassis employs two PX4 triodes, it goes without saying that's why the set was robbed of the audio and power chassis.
If you require the construction details of the power chassis I'll pleased to help out. As for those PX4 triodes, it is well known that a triode connected KT66 or 6L6 has almost identical characteristics.
The HT supply rectifier is a Mazda UU8 and the EHT rectifier is a Mazda U22.
In most respects the TV is similar as the "upside down" 9" Defiant TV.
It follows I'm on the lookout for a Plessey chassis for the Defiant TV set. Even the Mk1 chassis will do.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 31/01/2014 10:54 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

It's a shame they didn't just "whip out" the PX4s, the rest is useless other than the original purpose.

it is well known that a triode connected KT66 or 6L6 has almost identical characteristics.

If only Audiophools believed. There is nothing magical about 1930s Triodes. Some are pretty to look at though :)

Posted : 31/01/2014 11:11 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

That's exactly what I said in an earlier post. The set was donated to a charity and I'm going to see if I can contact the donor so that I can offer him a hundred or so for the chassis less the PX4s but I'm not holding my breath!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 31/01/2014 11:13 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

They do indeed tend to go for the balloon shaped envelopes don't they.

Posted : 31/01/2014 11:21 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

The PX4 seems to be falling out of favour now - the "in" valve seems to be the Mazda version, the PP3/250.

Last pair sold on eBay for £906. Used but tested 100%.

Posted : 31/01/2014 11:23 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

What a load of cobblers! £900! I suppose when you're prepared to pay £180 for an IEC mains lead and £35 for a 5A fuse, £900 is quite cheap for something so old!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 31/01/2014 11:38 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

Perhaps I should go to a model shop and get some of the power pylons for a model railway to rum my speaker cables over to stop me getting coloured sound what ever that is :aak
The alternative if you are being a cheapskate it plastic drawing pins :aak

Posted : 01/02/2014 12:14 am
ianj
 ianj
(@ianj)
Estimable Member Registered

Perhaps I should go to a model shop and get some of the power pylons for a model railway to rum my speaker cables over to stop me getting coloured sound what ever that is :aak
The alternative if you are being a cheapskate it plastic drawing pins :aak

Be careful! If you puncture the wire inside, you may " aerate" the hifi sound!......... (!!)

Posted : 01/02/2014 1:29 am
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

Yes I know. Is will loose its oxygen free status if I do.

Posted : 01/02/2014 1:36 am
Page 1 / 4
Share: