[Closed] Philips 663A

34 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

Lots of leaky black caps and, on the PSU chassis, loads of the european threaded buss type electrolytics to rebuild! Quite a challenge. As to Blumlein, is there nothing he either patented, improved or suggested? What a crying shame that he was so tragically killed in his prime.

Forum Memorial

Posted : 17/11/2012 11:17 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

I now have the full Philips service manual for the 663A so I'm OK for the data. I will get round to scanning the manual soon and will offer the files to whoever would like a copy. Chris and Jon, for sure. I also got a manual for the 6027A, the fancy projection set too!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 20/11/2012 12:43 am
Duke Nukem
(@duke-nukem)
Reputable Member Registered

Thanks Brian,

The manual for the 663A is on my website but would love to add the 6027 to it.

That 563A - and presumably that also means the 663A - are certainly complicated looking beasts. Flamin' heavy too ! Can't wait to see some light on that tube (is the tube made in Holland?).

TTFN,
Jon

Posted : 20/11/2012 9:22 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The MW22-7 CRT was made in Holland. The 563A is a difficult chassis to work on, what with that radio tuning scale gantry. It might be a good idea to make up a service jig. Today, it's all those HT electrolytic caps which are to receive attention.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 20/11/2012 10:54 am
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

OK Jon. I have started scanning the 6027A manual and will forward it to you when it is finished. What I will do is to burn the high-res files onto a CDROM and post it to you rather than messing with sending 70 or 80 MB by email!
I have made several service jigs for the sets I've restored, Till. Mainly either steel or brass rods with threaded holes at their ends which can be screwed to the chassis fixing brackets with studding or even using two to clamp onto a mounting flange again with studding. One "kit" I have made consists of four lengths of flat bar stock with tapped and clear holes placed as required to enable a short length of bar, again with tapped and clear holes, to be used as a clamp, rather like a toolmakers clamp which grips the chassis walls holding the four lengths vertical. These, of course, act as legs to keep the chassis in virtually any position. I don't know if you have noticed, but the early EMI chassis have 0BA hank bushes in each of the four corners. I have cut and drilled bits of alloy angle "legs" which make use of these holes. I can see no other purpose for them so perhaps this is what they were for!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 20/11/2012 12:41 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

OK Jon. I have started scanning the 6027A manual and will forward it to you when it is finished. What I will do is to burn the high-res files onto a CDROM and post it to you rather than messing with sending 70 or 80 MB by email!

Brian, even easier to to use Dropbox!

I think you start with 3GB of web storage these days (it was only 2GB when I opened my account) - more than enough for sharing 80MB files!

Use this link http://db.tt/aiSQRza to set up an account (free!) then put the files in the Public folder and send Jon the link(s) - or post here if you don't mind making the information publicly available.

Dropbox is very useful for sharing large files as well as backing up information. If you have more than one PC in the house (we both have laptops and there is a desktop PC too) it will synchronise files between all the machines.

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 20/11/2012 1:26 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

Thanks for that Terry. I've tried dropbox some time ago to transfer files to Jon but I couldn't get it to work. I think it's time to try again!

Forum Memorial

Posted : 20/11/2012 4:26 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Here's some pictures of the Philips 563A chassis. Some of the wiring is in very poor condition as can be seen from picture of the leads feeding the EM34 tuning indicator. Check out all those wet electrolytic capacitors. The Mullard MW22-7 CRT.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 21/11/2012 12:02 am
Duke Nukem
(@duke-nukem)
Reputable Member Registered

Good grief that's a good few caps ! I would have expected to find a few of them replaced already during the sets working life.

With the little 9" tube out, that chassis looks four times bigger.

TTFN,
Jon

Posted : 21/11/2012 9:22 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Close up of the perished wiring.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 21/11/2012 11:41 am
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

That's just like all the rubber wiring in my Cossor 54 - One move and it's (you're) dead! I will be shortly embarking on a mammoth Philips wet electrolytic stuffing spree for the 663A.

Forum Memorial

Posted : 21/11/2012 12:37 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

I've connected the 563A to the mains through a 1N4007 diode + two 22K resistors and supplied some volts to the HT line. Give the set a taste of electricity so to speak. Over time I'll reduce the value of the series resistor to see what happens. At the time of writing this the voltage at the HT reservoir capacitor is 75V.
Switch off the supply and it takes quite some time for the voltage to fall to zero.
The first picture shows a disconnected wire to one of the tag strips which carry the wires between the two chassis assemblies. looks like it was never properly soldered.
Both pictures were taken two days ago.

Tll Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 25/11/2012 12:33 am
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Trevor, I assumed from this (my emphasis) ...

... At the time of writing this the voltage at the HT reservoir capacitor is 75V.
Switch off the supply and it takes quite some time for the voltage to fall to zero ...

... that the electrolytics are holding up fine - the low voltage is due to the two 22k resistors - a wise precaution, I'd have thought!

Or have I missed something ...? :?:

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 25/11/2012 1:06 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace
Topic starter

I love the picture Till. An excellent way of applying a few volts to wake up those caps. However, I think our H&S fans might have a few things to say about your implementation of the method :=D

Forum Memorial

Posted : 25/11/2012 1:39 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: