Share:
Notifications
Clear all

1" square IFT cans with 1/4" formers

Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

Hi all.

I'm on the scrounge again!  Unfortunately, I need a minimum of 5 for the modified Argus if I do the Vision receiver and leave the sound receiver as the original design. These transformers used to be so very, very common and were used in many kits and commercial equipment (the Jason FMT1, for example).

A reasonable price paid and all costs met, of course.

For interest, I could not find wire-wrap wire in UK but Digikey in the US had small reels. I ordered a couple on Sunday morning and received the shipment this afternoon - incredible!

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/10/2016 9:55 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Brian Cuff said
Hi all.

I'm on the scrounge again!  Unfortunately, I need a minimum of 5 for the modified Argus if I do the Vision receiver and leave the sound receiver as the original design. These transformers used to be so very, very common and were used in many kits and commercial equipment (the Jason FMT1, for example).

Are the IFTs used in a Bush TV24 any use? I can happily kill a set for those if they are, or some other sacrificial lamb...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2016 10:51 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)

Those cans are the right cross section but too low. I need the full height jobbies. Thanks anyway Cathy - another TV24 saved from the grim reaper!

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/10/2016 1:17 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Brian Cuff said
Those cans are the right cross section but too low. I need the full height jobbies. Thanks anyway Cathy - another TV24 saved from the grim reaper!

I've got four and a half of the bl**dy things - it'd be no loss and you didn't specify the height.

Anyway, I went and looked at the scrap Ultra VT8-15 chassis in the garden and that's a no-no too. I'm off to the store shortly to look for a Kikusui XY display, I'll look there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2016 2:10 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Brian,

How tall do those cans need to be? - I have a selection of late 1950's scrapped radio chassis and wondered if there might be anything of use among them.

I don't mind having a dig about to see what I can find, and I'm fairly certain the cans are 1" square - if not, then they're close to.  It's just the height that might be the bugbear, so, if you have a specific height in mind?...............

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2016 7:51 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)

Hello Marion

The IF cans I need seem to be about 65mm high and 20mm square.

I'm not sure where I got the 25mm figure from but I guess it was from memory.

The above dimensions are from a Jason FMT1 which uses the same cans for the IFs and limiter with a larger can for the discriminator transformer (ratio detector??). Sorry about that guys.

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/10/2016 9:59 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Brian,

I'll try to have a dig over the next couple of days - with any luck, tomorrow, and see what I can find.

Do they all need to look identical? I'm just thinking in terms of what can be recovered from these old chassis.  Being radios, probably only two or three from each, at most.  In any case, if I can find some, I'll try to pick out the ones that best match each other.

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2016 10:39 pm
mendipviews
(@mendipviews)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Hi Brian,
don't know if you have found suitable IF Cans yet but in case you haven't I have these on a old television chassis
in the workshop.
Dimensions are 65mm tall and 20mm square

IF-Cans-Chassis.jpg

Regards

Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2016 8:25 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)

Luke - they are the exact type I require.

Can I ask you to remove them from the chassis and send them to me? I will, of course, pay a decent price and shipping for them as they will enable me to carry on with the project (PM me with what you would like - or maybe I have something to swap). If you can, I would like all the 60mm high cans and formers, even the ones with the tuning knobs on the top. They fit on the chassis with 2 6BA screws which also lock the tabs of the cans underneath the base of the formers.

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/11/2016 9:57 pm
mendipviews
(@mendipviews)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

No problem Brian, glad they can be of some use.
I will get them unbolted tomorrow and get them in the post

Many Thanks
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/11/2016 6:58 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)

Hi Luke

The cans arrived this morning - many, many thanks. As I thought, they are exactly what I require. I will start winding the vision coils tomorrow with some bifilar wire I have sourced. I have also sourced some wire-wrap wire so that I can try some coils as in Argos' post.

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/11/2016 3:22 pm