Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Centre fine-tuning knob forBush TV75

Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Hi all,

I'm looking for one of the above - I don't know if it's the same as the one fitted to the TV5x and TV6x sets, but if anyone can help I'd be grateful.

All costs met, naturally.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/12/2020 9:42 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Hi Mike,

I had a feeling there was one of those knocking around here. A dig in the garage found an inner and an outer knob which I think is from that series of sets. Trouble is, the inner is marked 'volume' - and I'm not sure if the shaft is the same size as that on the tuner. I have a feeling the fine tuner has a smaller D-shaft. Anyway if either of these are any good to you, consider them yours foc.

Steve

K1
K2
K3

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2020 10:35 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Not a very good picture of a Bush TV75 but at least it proves that the inner control knobs are different from ones fitted on the TV63/66.

Bush  TV75

Till Eulenspiegel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2020 1:34 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Ah, thanks Till. It's a slightly later set than I was thinking of.

Steve

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2020 3:58 pm
freya
(@freya)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

This is very odd, this is the second time today a request for an inner knob for a TV75, from two totally different people !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2020 7:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

@freya so where's the second request Stephen? I've looked, Its not here or over on UKVRRR, so your post I do find odd. 😉 Care to add some context to your statement?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2020 7:27 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Illustrious V-Ratter Moderator

These would be what I affectionately refer to as the "Cupcake" knobs - They are conical, and fluted! They are also very fragile.

These knobs differ greatly from all of the earlier Bush TV knobs. The control shafts are recessed out of reach, so no nasty electric shocks from exposed shafts if the set is powered up with its knobs removed. Also, the inner and outer knobs came as an assembly, with the inner knob retained inside the outer by way of the outer knob's bright. The outer knob is secured to its control shaft by way of a small wrap around clamp, whilst the inner knob has a' 'D' shaped sleeve to mate onto the inner control shaft. Unfortunately, the sleeve was prone to stripping its D hole, or in the case of the fine tune knob, breaking off if turned too forcefully.

I'd expect them to be very brittle by now, and hard to find. I don't think this style of knob had a very long career, and on later versions, eg, TV82, were rendered redundant as a result of the use of the "Bush Button" tuner, and were usurped by a pair of smaller single knobs for on/off/volume, and brightness.

There were ways of reviving broken knobs, but there were no official fixes, other than to replace the the assembly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2020 9:54 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

The TV75 came into the shops late 1957.  The set wasn't the only Bush TV to employ the newly introduced Mullard AW43-80 CRT. The company cobbled up the T67 console set which employed the new tube and modified units from the TV63/66 range of models.  The timebase unit was similar to that fitted in the 21" models.

Till Eulenspiegel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2020 10:21 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

The person for whom this request was made has now resolved the matter so thanks for all those offering help - you can close the thread, Chris/mods.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/12/2020 1:40 pm
freya
(@freya)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Just to let everyone know, the brand new old stock Knobs are with the set. here are a couple of pictures. not very exciting but they were almost certainly the very last NOS ones anywhere in the world.

JPEG 20210205 150520 1212535478 (1)
JPEG 20210205 150539 241375543 (1)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2021 7:52 pm