Notifications
Clear all

Help Do we have a member in the USA willing to help me ?

Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Basically I am currently restoring an old Sharp reel to reel. A Sharp RD-708 and I need a belt kit. After much searching I found what I need in the USA on Amazon of all places.

The Problem is the same listing isn't on Amazon UK and I can't make the purchase. I have even been directly to the source who manufacture these belts to original specs. I contacted them and the reply was sorry, but we do not ship to the UK.

So basically I'm out of luck unless I can find some kind individual prepared to buy the 30 dollar kit and send it to me in the UK by conventional post. Actually $27.50 but I rounded it up.

I would of course pay up front by PayPal and later pay any additional postage costs once they have possession of the belt kit. An exercise in logistics if you will. This is the kit in question www.amazon.com/Complete-Belt-Kit-Sharp-RD-708/dp/B0713ZLJS6

Regards and thanks for any help offered.

VS

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/03/2021 12:34 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

As far as I can recall, no members of Vrat are from the USA. The reality is of our tiny membership, only have a handful of them are international members.

You're far better off joining http://videokarma.org/ this is the USA equivalent of all the UK vintage forums and had been running for almost 20 years now.

See if one of their members can help you over there. Bear in mind some might be reluctant to do so for a totally new and unknown member, worth a try though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/03/2021 10:43 am
Vipersan
(@vipersan)

@crustytv

Fair enough Chris it was worth am ask, thanks for replying.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/03/2021 12:13 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Or, there is a chap in Budapest who makes up kits of belts for all sorts of equipment, and sells his N1500 and N1700 kits via eBay. Last time I had contact with him, he stated that he does sometimes make up set on request, but it may take a little while, and he must first find the belt data, without which he can't make up the set.

Forum rules prohibit posting links to eBay, but if you search for belt kits foe Philips N1700, you should find him, and he's the only one based in Hungary.  His kits are always good. Priced about the same as your American seller, and the postage is not astronomical.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/03/2021 6:45 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

WES in Australia have an extraordinary range of repair parts including belts. If you can't get it here it doesn't exist. And yes they will ship OS.

The catalog is a bit painful to use though.

https://www.wes.com.au/mediapub/ebook/wescat2020np/1342/

If you look at pages 11-16 and 11-17 I think you will find what you need.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2021 8:03 am
jcdaze liked
Vipersan
(@vipersan)

Many thanks for the suggestions, I do foresee a problem with the flat belt that drives the take-up spool from the motor. This flat belt is only rubber on one surface the other appears to be a sort of close woven cloth or material of some sort of dual layer belt rubber on cloth.

The other 2 are supply spool and counter and although the first of these two is a little unconventional, approx 10 cm diameter not unlike a sewing machine drive belt it is thinner than that and round section. The only conventional belt being the counter belt easily replaced. I don't have access to info on the type and manufacturers specifications sadly.

Regards

VS

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/03/2021 2:57 pm