Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Ekco TS46 Television

freya
(@freya)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Wanted;

I'm sure most forumites who know me know I am looking for a TS46 to sensibly complete  my collection of 23 tabletop Ekco sets.

If everyone can keep an eye out please, condition not important, got a spare tube, cabinet work is my thing so no worries there.

Thanks

Stephen

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/03/2017 6:37 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Will certainly keep and eye out for you Stephen.

freya said
my collection of 23 tabletop Ekco sets.

Wow! Do you have a website to show case them all?

It would be interesting to see them if you do as there's not a lot out there covering just EKCO. If its something you can't be bothered with perhaps a thread here show casing your EKCO collection. I'm sure it would go down very well and be extremely interesting. I'll stop there so as to not take your wanted thread too off-topic. If you or others wish to discuss this further we can split off.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2017 6:59 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Chris said

perhaps a thread here show casing your EKCO collection. I'm sure it would go down very well and be extremely interesting.

I'll second that.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/03/2017 7:12 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

Yes please Stephen. Pictures of your collection would be a fantastic addition to the forum.

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 2:27 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

Hi Stephen,

I'd love to see your collection of Ekco sets too and yes I'll keep my eye's pealed for any stray TS46's lurking around.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 3:21 pm
freya
(@freya)

Well I have news;

The gods were looking down on me all week and I won this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282392771250?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Its now collected and getting ready for its journey south west after the NVCF.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/03/2017 10:14 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

Brilliant !!   And a bargain win at that.... Well done  welld_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 10:21 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

freya said
I won this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282392771250

Ha, more than just won - you SNIPED it with just seconds to spare! Well done, sir!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 10:36 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

Well spotted Stephen, Great stuff. thumb_gif

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/03/2017 10:36 pm
freya
(@freya)

Will post some pictures when they get emailed to me, initial report is everything is there and the tube looks intact but the chassis has some rust.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/03/2017 7:58 am
freya
(@freya)

Steven-123.jpgSteven-118.jpgSteven-119.jpgSome pictures as promised, I will do a full write up when I get the set here in cornwall. As you can see there is a rust issue especially around the mains connector. So I need to source a two pin mains kettle/iron plug and an almost impossible knob (contrast)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/03/2017 7:57 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

freya said

So I need to source a two pin mains kettle/iron plug and an almost impossible knob (contrast)

The 'kettle' connector's easy enough - I might even have one spare myself. I'll have a look on Friday. Used on their pre-war radio sets as well: my 1939 sets use the same connector.

Not sure about the "Scruits" on the loudspeaker wires though!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/03/2017 9:35 pm
freya
(@freya)

Apparently the "Scruits" are factory fit and they all have them, if you do have a spare connector I would be very grateful.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/03/2017 9:45 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

That's one of the easier to accommodate and easier on the eye veteran(?!) tellies around, good luck with the restoration.

ISTR the Scruits join the wire ends of the mains transformer's EHT rectifier winding to the wires going to the rectifier base in the LW jammer, sorry RF EHT generator box. It looks as if two of the wires are in a sleeve to assist with insulation. This heater winding is (obviously necessarily!) in highly insulated wiring wound on a transformer limb separately from the other windings. Presumably, the RF generator had its work cut out in supplying EHT power without having to run the rectifier heater as well. RF EHT is an interesting transient in TV history- I assume that the economics of its brief post-war flowering were at least partially assisted by the availability of large numbers of surplus valves of the appropriate type after war's end. I think an SP61 or the like was used here, 6V6Gs got used elsewhere and the country would have been knee-deep in both at the time. I can't help thinking that the multiple pie-windings must have been very prone to insulation and core hygroscopy knocking Q on the head and upping losses, though.

Mains EHT must have been something of an expensive Achilles' heel for manufacturers that they were keen to get away from. Telefunken's (just!) pre-war E1 used flyback EHT to supply its very advanced-looking CRT, I wonder if it was one of those things that was quietly taken up, almost as "war-booty", without too much acknowledgement. The cavity magnetron was a German patent of 1935, I always found the story of Randall and Boots 1940 work slightly lacking in background!

Whilst line flyback EHT (largely) obviated the sinusoidal HF generator in normal TVs, it lived on for a few decades in scopes- my ol' HP180 has a single transistor class C power oscillator running at around 30kHz and presumably pissing off the local bats.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2017 8:00 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

turretslug said

Telefunken's (just!) pre-war E1 used flyback EHT to supply its very advanced-looking CRT, I wonder if it was one of those things that was quietly taken up, almost as "war-booty", without too much acknowledgement.

If memory serves me right, some of Telefunken's engineers ended up working for Pye, as there were ties between the two companies before the war. Pye marketed the rather fancy Telefunken TO1001 pickup in the UK: I'm not sure that it wasn't used in the rather swanky "Paramphonic" radiogram.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/telefunken_tonabnehmer_to_1001to100.html

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/03/2017 9:18 am