Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wanted Integrated Circuits Reference Book

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Can anyone recommend or indeed, if they have one for sale, an Integrated Circuits reference book?

I'm thinking on the lines of the superb TITS 😊 Towers International Transistor Selector. Or The Mullard Technical Handbooks, all of which I have and use frequently. I would be excellent if it also contained data sheets for the package, not just basic info. I suspect this might mean there will be volumes to collect.

It would need to reference old ic's say 1967 - 1987 not modern packages.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/09/2021 9:38 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Dumb question, but have you tried Google?

It's surprising sometimes what turns up. There are quite a lot of old tech enthusiasts in Japan for example.

My job involves the "refreshing" of old designs at times and the well-crafted internet search is my most valuable tool.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2021 9:46 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @irob2345

Dumb question, but have you tried Google?

Yes, frequently, and I'm sick and tired of using it. I much prefer to leaf through books which I can also have open on the bench for quick, easy reference. Much the same as I prefer to work from paper circuits than a PDF.

p.s.

I do appreciate the marvels of what is out there, and we would be lost without it. Guess I'm just a dinosaur who prefers paper. This is just some of my library, there are many filing cabinets elsewhere with thousands more.

20210911 100712
20210911 100343

Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/09/2021 9:49 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)

I lost my library in a basement flood over 10 years ago. Everything is now on disc. Backed up too.

Much quicker to find stuff too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2021 10:40 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @crustytv

Yes, frequently, and I'm sick and tired of using it. I much prefer to leaf through books which I can also have open on the bench for quick, easy reference. Much the same as I prefer to work from paper circuits than a PDF.

With you 100% on that. These days there is so much chaff littering the Internet that I prefer a book - and always have done. I certainly CANNOT work from a screen and it's difficult to append notes to a screen.

Nah - paper diagrams every time.

I remember we had some data books like that at work years ago, but can I remember who published them? If I see any looking lost and forlorn at work I'll grab them because let's be honest, they'll be no use to anyone nowadays.

In the meantime, I'd suggest Abebooks.

(as an example https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30609358580&searchurl=ds%3D20%26kn%3Dintegrated%2Bcircuit%2Bdata%26sortby%3D17&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title9 )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2021 11:17 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Following on from the comment above - does anyone else lament the passing of paper catalogues from RS and Farnell? The search facilities on their websites are complete crap utterly frustrating because unless you know the exact terminology for the part you're looking for, you don't stand a cat in Hell's chance of finding it!

I've been having this problem recently with certain hardware and it is so frustrating.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2021 9:37 am
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Very much so- no doubt they would proudly tell us how many trees, tons of diesel etc etc had been saved by not sending physical catalogues out to all and sundry but they must also have lost so many sales simply because folk were plain unable to easily find what they were looking for! I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that the superceded catalogues from the well-known suppliers like Farnell, RS and others also served as recreational browsing and inspiration time and time again. Farnell's search structure in particular I find irritatingly obstructive (though it has improved a little since introduction)- a shame, as I used to use them a lot for both work and hobby stuff in the paper catalogue days. (I went off RS not for technical but for presentation reasons- they used to do those glossy product circulars (monthly?) written in a particularly nauseating, sleeve-tugging, clever-dick, faux-matey sort of way that really gets up my nose- who were they hoping to impress with that tone of drivel? I didn't feel I could trust a goods peddler who spouted complacent cliches and cheesey doggerel, it felt as if they regarded their potential customers as impressionable simpletons....)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2021 10:43 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)

Well I use the Farnell / Element 14 site extensively when designing just about anything. I normally have several suppliers' sites open on the right-hand screen at the same time. I find the Element 14 search to be excellent when trying to narrow down parts that are likely to be available now, and in 6 and 12 months time. At the best price.

I do need a fast internet connection though. Both at home and at work.

I would never go back to paper catalogs, they are tedious for what I need to do in my job. Haven't used one in nearly 20 years!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2021 9:16 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

There was a TV integrated circuits book, published (I think) by the same people who did the fault finding guides. It had a blue cover, and was excellent, had typical circuits in. Invaluable in the 90's when service information was expensive and couldn't be justified if you had some odd set in for repair. Sorry I can't provide more info.

I have to say I'm quite happy working from a PDF these days, and google is my friend. I have a tablet computer on the bench, both at home and at work which suits me just fine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2021 9:39 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

20210915 205644

@Doz

This one?

ISBN 0 7506 2899 5

Newnes

Butterworth-Heinemann

"This is my multimeter. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My multimeter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multimeter is useless. Without my multimeter, I am useless."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2021 9:05 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

@red_to_black that's the badger!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2021 9:08 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

It was written by John Edwards, a regular TV mag contributor at the time.

It showed quite a few of the functions of various pins of common ICs of the time, helpfully it also had typical voltage readings taken under working conditions in various sets.

It was very useful at the time, although sadly not as comprehensive in chip coverage as I would have liked 😋  , there were also a few mistakes in it as I found out using it, as you say better than nothing (at the time) though.

I doubt I would buy it again now, I would/did give it about 5 out of 10, however we are spoilt for choice with the internet now, having said that it was a help in those days, just a bit limited at the time even then IMO.

Not too bad for the price though!

"This is my multimeter. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My multimeter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multimeter is useless. Without my multimeter, I am useless."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2021 9:21 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

20210915 212914

An example of what you would see within the pages, the arrows designate in and out signals and are self explanatory

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/09/2021 9:36 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Thanks for all the input chaps, I've now managed to find a couple of what appear to be suitable books.

The first is a huge Philips IC reference book from 1980 for television and VCR ICs. The second is a Babini equivalents & substitutes IC Handbook, I've the transistor version which has proved very useful. Finally, I've nabbed a copy of the book Doz recommended above, Television IC Data Files. We'll see how I get along with all those. 👍

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/09/2021 8:31 am