Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wanted Loudspeaker for Bush TV33

LSmith
(@lsmith)
New V-Ratter Registered

Having now soak tested my Bush TV33 for a while, it is clear that the Celestion loudspeaker has a problem in that the voice coil appears to be fouling on the magnet and preventing quieter sounds and bass from coming through properly. I have tested the speaker on my Bush VHF54 extension speaker socket which has confirmed the problem. There appears to be no way of removing the magnet to remove any corrosion and re-centre it, therefore I am looking for an alternative speaker that would fit. The dimensions of the speaker are 6.25 x 4.25 inches with a depth of 2.5 inches.

I am assuming there is no way of being able to repair the original speaker.

Thanks, Laurence

TV33 Speaker

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/07/2021 10:01 pm
freya
(@freya)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

You may be lucky finding a suitable replacement, but its worth trying to get yours better. The cone can be carefully manipulated in and out by hand actually making the voice coil rub more on the rust, this will remove the rust in most cases leaving a perfect smooth action.  I have seen speakers almost falling apart on their frames with frozen coils come back this way.

Stephen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 8:04 am
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

If you carefully pop the center dust cap off the cone you can clean one side of the gap with a piece of paper and blow out any grit with an air line.

If its rust it is of course magnetic. Using a very strong neodymium magnet you may be able to drag the particles out or at least away from where they are rubbing.

Boater Sam
BVWS Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 8:57 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

The same loudspeaker is used in a number of Bush table radios as well - VHF70 and VHF90 come to mind. I'll have a look around at home and report back.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 9:30 am
LSmith
(@lsmith)
New V-Ratter Registered

Thank you for the advice. Upon further inspection it is clear that the spider has become completely detached from the speaker frame which will be the cause of the poor sound. What would be the best kind of adhesive to use to re-attach it? Superglue?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/07/2021 9:46 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Hello Laurence, I would think that a slower setting glue to enable you time to centralise the voice coil would be best. Araldite perhaps will allow this and strips of paper inserted between the voice coil and inner magnet while it sets should keep it central.

Superglue is good for sticking the fingers together and little else, I usually find.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 10:01 pm
LSmith liked
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)

I center the coil with 3 strips of paper down the gap and use uhu glue.  Put the dust cap back after testing with the same glue.

Boater Sam
BVWS Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 10:34 pm
LSmith
(@lsmith)
New V-Ratter Registered

Thank you. The dust cap has been glued on very firmly indeed and forcing it off would probably destroy the cone. I could try cutting off the cap instead as this would be the only way of gaining access without damaging the cone.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/07/2021 2:07 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)

@lsmith

Try a bit of heat from a soldering iron, they usually come off easily then.

Boater Sam
BVWS Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/07/2021 8:54 am
LSmith
(@lsmith)
New V-Ratter Registered

The cap came off easily after heating with a hair dryer. I glued the spider back with araldite and the speaker sounds good now, so I no longer require a replacement. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/07/2021 1:07 pm
PYE625 and Nuvistor liked
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Excellent news !

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/07/2021 9:53 pm
LSmith liked
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)

Good to repair rather than replace, glad it worked for you.

Boater Sam
BVWS Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2021 8:17 am