Share:
Notifications
Clear all

NEC Colour Display Tube

Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

Hi

I have been given a brand new item, never in a device, and it consists of a small colour CRT and its scan coils.

It's up for grabs and the first claim gets it foc. The numbers on it are:

M19JLC01X22 COLOUR DISPLAY TUBE

S/No. 21000069

NEC Corporation

Display1.jpgDisplay2.jpg

I have no idea for what sort of device this is intended except I did hear Hitachi when I was fairly near the skip brigade and was able to save it from being committed to the skip!

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/05/2017 11:36 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Hi Brian,

What size is the tube? I've been googling it, but nothing mentions how big it is! I did find that it fits a 'Rohde & Schwarz FSAD ESMI EMI Analyzer' whatever one of those is...

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 5:14 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Going by the  crt type number suggests 19cm diagonally across the face Lloyd, so approximately a 7 1/2 inch tube, grin_gif

"This is my multimeter. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My multimeter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multimeter is useless. Without my multimeter, I am useless."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 5:49 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Brian Cuff said
I have been given a brand new item, never in a device, and it consists of a small colour CRT and its scan coils.

Wow, nice catch! Complete with scan yoke and convergence magnets, too!

Probably intended for a test set (a quick Google search brings up Rhode and Schwartz) Certainly would kick-start a hacking project, it can probably be married to a small colour TV chassis with little effort.

Next step would be to find or borrow the service manual for the intended R&S application, to learn more about what voltages and signals it would need.

Unlucky (or lucky...) for me I'm not a local that might want to play with this one!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 9:03 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

It crossed my mind of building a colour TV chassis around this tube, maybe even with valves.

Now wouldn't that be an interesting project for someone !  wink

Anyone brave enough to make a colour  Perdio Portarama ?  grin_gif

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 9:14 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

PYE625 said
It crossed my mind of building a colour TV chassis around this tube, maybe even with valves.

Now wouldn't that be an interesting project for someone !

Anyone brave enough to make a colour  Perdio Portarama ?

I think we should talk Lloyd into doing it...!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 9:18 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

FordAnglia said

Now that  had also crossed my mind !   grin_gif

It's oh so simple really....just take a D/S Phillips G6 and scale it down....  doh_gif

Poor Lloyd...... so it now has to be all valve, dual standard plus a shunt stabilised valve EHT stage, oh, and in a wooden cabinet too.

Mind you, with the lower EHT, X-Rays should not be too much of a worry.

So then Lloyd..... all done by this weekend??   laugh

Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 9:25 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

PYE625 said

FordAnglia said

Now that  had also crossed my mind !   grin_gif

It's oh so simple really....just take a Phillips G6 and scale it down....

I know nothing about the 'Philips G6' - unfortunately your humour was lost on me. You were joking, right?

But a small screen CTV chassis as donor would certainly work. This is a PIL tube judging by the magnet ring on its neck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 9:51 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

Here is Chris's very own Philips G6..... Quite a formidable set.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1967-philips-g25k502/

Yes, I was joking, but the possibility of something more sensible is certainly viable.

Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 9:57 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

grin_gif

you lot are giving me daft idea's!! You know, a few years ago I was offered the mangled remains of a Philips 10" portable, the one with the FST tube in it, it had been dropped and the tube necked. I turned it down unfortunately! It would have been interesting to try and marry up this little CRT with that chassis, probably quite easy too. I now have 2 fully working examples of that set, one in grey, and one in white.

Now, if this tube fitted in a Portarama, that could be an interesting project! And why bother with dual standard? Go the whole hog and make it worldwide standard, 240, 405, 525 and 625! Imagine the system switching arrangement on that...

Saving old (or indeed new!) CRT's is my thing, I have a box in storage with some in, biggest 14", I used to have some from VGA monitors too, but unfortunately I ditched them during the move (silly idea.. Don't know why I did), if no one else wants this tube I'd be happy to re-home it, it's just the logistics of getting it here that concern me!

Brian, I hate to ask, but could it be boxed up for shipping? Or alternatively, I'm going to the NVCF on Sunday, if you're going?

If anyone else has a better use for this tube, then I'm happy to step aside!

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2017 11:50 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Lloyd said
And why bother with dual standard? Go the whole hog and make it worldwide standard, 240, 405, 525 and 625! Imagine the system switching arrangement on that...

The purists (err... me) would like to add 441/50 and 819/50 France's System E. The CBS Sequential colour (405/24) might be tricky.

You get a break on the 180/25 standard as its quite old and forgotten, but extra credit if you can manage a Nipkow Disk.

Doesn't the Aurora standards converter cover most of these?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2017 12:55 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

I knew I'd forgotten some!

The CBS sequential colour system shouldn't be too hard to overcome, not too sure on the Nipkow disk though, unless the CRT is just used as a light source behind the disk!

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2017 1:15 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Lloyd said
I knew I'd forgotten some!

The CBS sequential colour system shouldn't be too hard to overcome, not too sure on the Nipkow disk though, unless the CRT is just used as a light source behind the disk!

One step at a time, how about lighting up the CRT (without burning the phosphor) by lashing it to a donor CTV chassis?

As for the Nipkow Disk, it was a mechanical scanning mechanism, and yes the single light source is not moving. The brightness is changed to generate a greyscale (although many early televisors used a special flat plate neon gas discharge bulb) so more of an orange-scale image.

In the CBS field sequential system the disk moves colour filters in front of a monochrome CRT. No convergence issues!!

The Gray Research 1101 Field Sequential Monitor at the ETF, using the CBS Field Sequential Color system, is very impressive.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2017 1:38 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

PYE625 said
Here is Chris's very own Philips G6..... Quite a formidable set.

Quite a beast! Thanks for the link and Chris' G6 story.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2017 1:46 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Lovely old things, those G6s. We had loads of 'em at one time - granddad's shed was bursting at the seams back in the 1970s. Not until about 1986 did they begin to ... er, disperse.

The dual standard could be a bit unwieldy, but by the time Philips had evolved the latest single standard, they were quite tameable - you even keep them as pets! The only snag with a G6 is its similarity to Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you were never sure what you were going to get - it was a chassis that was continuously being modified on the fly, so even straight out of the works, you could get two, three, four or more sets that weren't the same, but the mods weren't always published straight away, or in some cases, ever!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2017 10:46 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

Lloyd said
Brian, I hate to ask, but could it be boxed up for shipping? Or alternatively, I'm going to the NVCF on Sunday, if you're going?.

It's yours Lloyd. I will bring it with me on Sunday.

Cheers

Brian

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/05/2017 3:31 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Hi Brian,

That's great! Thankyou very much smile

I'll drop you a PM!

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2017 12:06 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

A very big thankyou to Brian for bringing the little CRT to the NVCF on Sunday, it's made it safely to Coningsby, and is residing on the shelf in the workshop, and an even bigger thankyou for the 12" Mullard! That's going to bring the Ekco T.U.211 project back to life grin_gif

Nice to meet you, and put a face to a name!

The little colour tube looks like it would make a good TV, the phosphor is arranged in dots of a very fine pitch, so should give a very high resolution picture.

Regards,

Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/05/2017 11:31 pm