Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Radio & TV Servicing Books FS

Page 1 / 2

Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Noble V-Ratter Rest in Peace

I am rationalising my service data collection and have no need of any service info after 1954! I have the red books up to about 1978 so would like to get shot of the 1955-1978 books for £1 each, the money being paid to the Dulwich museum. All but one of the books are in near mint condition. Collection only or one of the meets.

I will also be disposing of early PTV & PR magazines (about a 2ft stack) very cheaply, again for the museum. PM me if interested.

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/01/2017 3:12 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Brian,

I would consider it an honour to take these, though getting them from Berkshire to Yorkshire could prove interesting.

The sad part is that I have a very 'gappy' collection of red books, and not in the best of condition. Yours would make a very welcome, and by the sound of it, presentable and uniform replacement set - sans gaps.grin_gif

So, if you'd be willing to pop my name in the hat, I'll see if I can find some transport.

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2017 6:25 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

That answers a question for me, I never knew which years they ran from and to. I have a set myself that includes pre 1954/5 models, then all the books up to 1972.

I often used to sit and read them in bed at night as they were, and are, a mine of information.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2017 6:35 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Just as a side note and no intent to hijack the thread intended.

PYE625 said
That answers a question for me, I never knew which years they ran from and to.

Andrew the R&TS series books ran way beyond 1978, up into the 90's and changed in size too. Radio and Television Servicing books were periodically released as sets ( I've many inserts in my television mags offering sets) over the years and as a result, much confusion has developed around what was released and constitutes a full set.

My personal collection (see below) runs from post war to 1983 ( 34 books) which is at the point when I lose interest, so stopped collecting them. I also have the red book which contains "blue-Print" circuits (1st book top shelf) for Radios and TV's along with trouble shooting charts. I also have a dedicated tape machine volume ( last book top shelf).

Stan as far as I know when I last saw his workshop, had the full collection right up into the 90's.

rts1.jpg

rts2.jpg

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2017 7:00 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

Cheers Chris, I must plead ignorance lol. Many of mine just have the years on the spine and are not numbered like your ones in the picture.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2017 7:41 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

Chris said

Andrew the R&TS series books ran way beyond 1978, up into the 90's and changed in size too. Radio and Television Servicing books were periodically released as sets ( I've many inserts in my television mags offering sets) over the years and as a result, much confusion has developed around what was released and constitutes a full set.

Am I mistaken or was it first necessary to purchase a set of books before being allowed to buy the annual updates?

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2017 8:36 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

IIRC R&TS stopped in 1987-88; then a company in Doncaster (U-View?) started publishing similar compilation volumes, which now included VCRs and in a format that stopped a circuit being split over several pages.

I don't have the dedicated tape machine volume, but I do have the small electrical appliances one which covers clocks, irons and the like.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2017 9:20 pm
Electrical
(@electrical)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

Hello Brian

I would be interested in the Practical Television magazines, as I have large gaps in the ones I have and the quality of some of mine is very poor. As you know I will scan all the magazines and put the PDF copies in the Library for everyone to use. The only problem would be the transport of the magazines or if you would be willing to post.

Regards Stan.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/01/2017 3:05 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)

Katie_Bush said
Hi Brian,

I would consider it an honour to take these, though getting them from Berkshire to Yorkshire could prove interesting.

The sad part is that I have a very 'gappy' collection of red books, and not in the best of condition. Yours would make a very welcome, and by the sound of it, presentable and uniform replacement set - sans gaps.grin_gif

So, if you'd be willing to pop my name in the hat, I'll see if I can find some transport.

Marion

They're yours, Marion.

I will be going to Royal Wooton Bassett this coming Sunday so if someone is coming down from up north, I could hand them to them. The only other person showing interest has dropped out so you're on your own, young lady. Contact me by PM if you can arrange something.

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/01/2017 9:19 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

Brian,

I've got a couple of CRTs to deliver to Marc, along with a number of radios to divers friends who all inhabit the white rose county in the very near future, so it looks rather like it's YPC and the Panzer to the rescue - again!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2017 9:24 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)

That's great, Cathy. I'll bring the tomes for Marion with me.

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/02/2017 10:46 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Brian and Mike,

That is excellent, guys, and thank you both so much.... I've never really been able to figure out how things sometimes seem to work out, and to be frank (no, hang on, Frank doesn't live here!) I had my doubts about this coming off.

Now I can't say if people have nine lives, a la chat, or if this has just been a lucky January for me, for a change.... First off, one of my two kittens disappeared in the night and seemed lost for good, but just before dark next day was seen gambolling about in the lane and following a dog walking friend of mine - a quick rescue mission snaffled him up and saw him safely home.. Next, my blue badge parking permit is due to expire in April. Expecting to have to jump through hoops to get a replacement, I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that although I don't qualify for an automatic renewal, mine was just a simple manual 'reassertion' and a £10 fee.

And now, this! - I might just do a lottery ticket this year......innocent

PMs coming shortly.

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2017 10:04 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Oops, Sorry....!embarassed

I got a bit distracted last night and forgot to get back to you both, so to keep it short and simple...

Brian, could you PM me and let me know how much I owe you? Then I can either send it via PayPal, or make alternative arrangements.

Mike, could you let me know of any costs you might incur on your mission on my behalf? Likewise as above with regard to payment.

Sorry I have to cut and run, but it's my physio session at York tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2017 10:34 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)

Katie_Bush said
Brian, could you PM me and let me know how much I owe you? Then I can either send it via PayPal, or make alternative arrangements. Marion

foc, Marion. I'm glad to get rid of them in one go. If you want to, give a donation to the Dulwich museum - if you can, suggest that it's for TV and not radio - it might work!

Forum Memorial

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/02/2017 5:02 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Brian Cuff said

foc, Marion. I'm glad to get rid of them in one go. If you want to, give a donation to the Dulwich museum - if you can, suggest that it's for TV and not radio - it might work!

Hi Brian,

That's very generous of you, and I'll make that donation. It may take a day or two to sort out, but it will get there.

I'll be very pleased to own the books, and I really must get, or make, a bookshelf to keep them in. I can say though, it won't be a converted/upcycled (or whatever) TV cabinet!

Many thanks indeed,

Marion

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2017 9:54 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

They're in the back of the Panzer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2017 9:49 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Cathovisor said
They're in the back of the Panzer.

Excellent work, Mike, many thanks indeed....thumb_gif

I bet that lot weighed down the old tank then?.....grin_gif

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2017 10:11 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

Katie_Bush said

I bet that lot weighed down the old tank then?.....grin_gif

Not really - it was also stuffed with a '34 Ferranti Arcadiagram (back seat) and a '34 Ferranti Gloria (in boot with the books/mags), a Murphy A46, a GER Mighty Midget, a Taylor RC bridge and a Roberts RCS80 amongst others. Didn't even bother adjusting the headlights!

No - weighed down was when I was packing boxes with books to go into storage. Each box weighed about 25kg, and eight fitted neatly across the floor of Clarabelle....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2017 10:30 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

Hi Marion,

Those books can have a go at the self levelling suspension on my old barrow during there third leg of the journey, nothing else has bothered it yet. smile

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/02/2017 10:41 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)

Hi Brian and Marion,

Thanks to Catho's help the books are now with me and will be making their way to Marion's shortly.

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/04/2017 8:58 pm
Page 1 / 2