Notifications
Clear all

S22 Valve

Page 1 / 2

Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Wanted S22 working valve for my Lotus 3 valve set please.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/01/2022 10:24 am
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)

I should have said "or an equivalent"

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/01/2022 6:01 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)

If no S22 can be found, I think that B262 is a direct equivalent and that S21 and SX2 may be usable in this set.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2022 6:00 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

@boater-sam You might get away with a Cossor 215SG - like the S22, it's a true tetrode complete with the "tetrode kink" in its characteristics. Langrex have 21 of the Cossor valve according to their current stocklist.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2022 7:02 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)

@cathovisor 

Oddly Langrex  have no stock of 215SG. Confused.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/02/2022 10:14 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@boater-sam 

Just searched Langrex stock list and found the quantity 21. Is the stock list incorrect? You could try Billington export, they ask for an email for the price and availability.

4B91ABB2 0003 4106 999B 1BA389E2EDA1
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 9:07 am
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)

Is there more than one Langrex?  I go on their site and search for  the valve number and it says no result!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/02/2022 2:02 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Likely operator error 😉 

One site https://www.langrex.co.uk/stocklist/

lang
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/02/2022 2:28 pm
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Posted by: @crustytv

Likely operator error 😉 

One site https://www.langrex.co.uk/stocklist/

lang

NO, I registered. Found in stock list but how do you buy anything? Do you have to phone them every time? If you find it in the stock list why can you then not find it in the search so that you can buy?

Seriously daft site.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/02/2022 10:20 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Sam,

Looks like they haven't got all their stock loaded into the online cart system, maybe they only load in the popular parts. I imagine they have thousands of items, putting that lot into a cart system is very time-consuming.

Guess you'll have to pretend it's pre internet days and do it like you used to back in your trade days, pick up a phone and call them. I've used Langrex loads and must admit I always call, it's easier and more personable. I can't remember the chaps name I spoke to, but he's really helpful and knows his stuff, ended up having a good old vintage chin-wag. Last time I used them, he found me lots of rare Thorn 2000 LOPT transistors and all manner of other goodies.

Go on, give 'em a call, I'm sure they will get you sorted. 👍 

p.s.

Folk often call my website and forum "seriously daft" and often a lot worse. I think a lot of folk don't appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining one, let alone one selling thousands of parts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2022 10:40 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I have used Langrex a few times but not recently, always phoned and had good service from them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2022 10:52 am
Boater Sam
(@boater-sam)
Posted by: @crustytv

Hi Sam,

Looks like they haven't got all their stock loaded into the online cart system, maybe they only load in the popular parts. I imagine they have thousands of items, putting that lot into a cart system is very time-consuming.

Guess you'll have to pretend it's pre internet days and do it like you used to back in your trade days, pick up a phone and call them. I've used Langrex loads and must admit I always call, it's easier and more personable. I can't remember the chaps name I spoke to, but he's really helpful and knows his stuff, ended up having a good old vintage chin-wag. Last time I used them, he found me lots of rare Thorn 2000 LOPT transistors and all manner of other goodies.

Go on, give 'em a call, I'm sure they will get you sorted. 👍 

p.s.

Folk often call my website and forum "seriously daft" and often a lot worse. I think a lot of folk don't appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining one, let alone one selling thousands of parts.

I ran several companies. One had a stock inventory of millions of spares for 42 different manufacturers. We could find and process a stock request into an order for despatch in moments.

What is the point of Langrex having a stock list if it is not tied into the ordering platform?

It does not inspire any confidence in their trading or invoicing model.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/02/2022 3:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

OK Sam, understood, we are all just trying to help you find the valve you need, and a few of us who have used Langrex, have found them perfectly good at what they do. Equally, understand you've no confidence in them due to this online experience.

Time to move on and let you find alternatives, and leave Langrex. Good luck with your search elsewhere. 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2022 3:34 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I email them, no problems and always receive a reply. 

I knew Langrex from way back and more so when they had a warehouse in Croydon....they were a 10 minute walk from Philips head office where I worked. I can't remember the person's name now but I bought a 12K7GT and I knew him from the days when Langrex were in Streatham, South London. There was a problem with their card machine so he said 'Come through to the back and I'll sort it out in the office'. As I followed him through the 'Staff only' door I was suddenly halted by the huge....and I mean huge space behind that was full floor to ceiling with valves...they were in racks and labelled. There were boxes being delivered as I followed him through and several staff were busy sorting them out presumably to get them into stock on the shelves. There must have been thousands in that warehouse. That must have been over 20 years ago so I imagine that it's more computerised now but even so their inventory must be huge. It's quite possible that they haven't got older valves on their ordering system and they have to be hand-picked. In fact they advise to contact them if you can't find what you want.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2022 8:49 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @sideband

I can't remember the person's name now but I bought a 12K7GT and I knew him from the days when Langrex were in Streatham, South London.

Was that when they were RST Mail Order, Rich? There is an article in one of the early 80s "Television" magazines by John Narborough covering his restoration of his HMV 904/5 and I recall him saying in the article "no request for a pre-war valve ever seems to defeat the folk in Streatham!"

The last time I bought a brand-new Mazda PA20 it was from Langrex.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2022 10:51 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Yes it was! I used to live in Streatham near the common and if I needed a valve, I used to walk up to Wellfield Road which was about twenty minutes away and come back with whatever I needed. I seem to recall that they briefly moved further up to Mitcham Lane and then eventually down to Croydon....all very easily accessible....and you could walk in. It was sometime during those moves that they changed to Langrex. A lot of their valves at the time were re-branded with 6202 and they came in a red box. 6202 was I think, the last four numbers of their original telephone number. If anyone has a valve with 6202 on it, it was an RST/Langrex valve.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2022 3:34 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

If anyone has a valve with 6202 on it, it was an RST/Langrex valve.

Ah, so that's where my 6202-branded valves are from! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2022 3:45 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Yes it was! I used to live in Streatham

Hi Rich, would you happen to remember a company by the name of "Frances of Streatham" (I may have misspelt Frances/Francis).  I remember them advertising in the usual mags. I don't think we ever bought from them, but I loved to explore their adverts. If I remember rightly, their main stock in trade was audio equipment, but then, we are talking about fifty odd years ago!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2022 5:59 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Yes absolutely! Francis of Streatham were a renowned tape recorder and audio supplier. They were very helpful and I bought several things from them including some mains connectors for my (then) Akai amplifier. They had quite an impressive shop front and a few doors down they had a typewriter shop (Francis Typewriters). I remember walking back from Streatham Hill one Saturday and they had a lava lamp (as part of their window display) in their shop window. It was the first time I had seen one. 

I took my Shure V15 stylus in there to be checked (which they said was perfect). I bought my Garrard 401 and SME pickup arm from them. I remember asking about the Audio Technica AT66 cartridge (before I got the Shure) with the SME arm and they didn't think I'd be happy with it......they were right! A few weeks later I bought the Shure V15 mkIII from them (£30 in 1973) which I have to say was probably the best cartridge I ever bought.

Not sure when the business went but it was some time after I left Streatham. No idea what is there now. The shops are still there though. They were in a row of shops known 'The High' to the locals.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2022 10:30 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Excellent!

If I remember correctly, I was looking at audio recording equipment. I wanted to record some "fairground" organs and was looking for something decent. I had eyes for Uher, or Nagra, but only had pockets deep enough for Panasonic!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2022 10:36 pm
Page 1 / 2