Notifications
Clear all

S22 Valve

Page 2 / 2

sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Actually I've just Googled Francis Of Streatham and it appears that there is still a shop there (169 Streatham High Road) selling Hi Fi and Audio gear. Whether it has any connection with the original family-run business I have no idea. When I used Google Earth (street view) to check it out, there is a huge London bus stuck right outside so not possible to see the shop directly. I very much doubt it has any connection with the original shop.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2022 11:05 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

They were Uher stockists and had a Uher Report in the window. I presume these portable recorders were used by journalists and the like.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2022 11:13 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @sideband

They were Uher stockists and had a Uher Report in the window. I presume these portable recorders were used by journalists and the like.

BBC Leeds used them for their local news reporters.  There were mono and stereo versions, as I recall. I remember the "Report 2000" but can't remember if it was stereo, or mono, but the sound quality was to die for. I think there was a Report 1000, but I'm not sure. I know I eventually bought a couple of the mono versions (Ex BBC Leeds) that found their way to the local refuse collection centre, but that was about 30 years after I wanted one! Anyway, one worked, the other had issues, but sort of worked. Even the rechargeable lead/acid batteries were still good. I think I paid about £5 for the pair "off the skips" but by then my enthusiasms had shifted elsewhere, and the magic was gone - I sold them at a local car boot sale for about £20, before I realised what they might have been worth. Anyway, water under the bridge, but the audio quality was still superb even then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2022 11:59 pm
Alex728 liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@sideband 

Streatham Electronics is at 169, computer and mobile phone selling and repairs.

https://streatham-eletronics-ltd.ueniweb.com/#gallery

#Chris if you want to remove this post after Rich has seen it, save space#

8344789F DCCD 4916 9FB9 2A230FF14BE6
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2022 9:36 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hmm yes! Typical grotty shop of the area now.....Nothing to do with Francis despite what Google says!  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2022 2:48 pm
Sundog
(@sundog)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @katie-bush

Excellent!

If I remember correctly, I was looking at audio recording equipment. I wanted to record some "fairground" organs and was looking for something decent. I had eyes for Uher, or Nagra, but only had pockets deep enough for Panasonic!

How true!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2022 9:18 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @katie-bush
Posted by: @sideband

BBC Leeds used them for their local news reporters.  There were mono and stereo versions, as I recall. I remember the "Report 2000" but can't remember if it was stereo, or mono, but the sound quality was to die for. I think there was a Report 1000, but I'm not sure. I know I eventually bought a couple of the mono versions (Ex BBC Leeds) that found their way to the local refuse collection centre, but that was about 30 years after I wanted one! Anyway, one worked, the other had issues, but sort of worked. Even the rechargeable lead/acid batteries were still good. I think I paid about £5 for the pair "off the skips" but by then my enthusiasms had shifted elsewhere, and the magic was gone - I sold them at a local car boot sale for about £20, before I realised what they might have been worth. Anyway, water under the bridge, but the audio quality was still superb even then.

They were used by Auntie well into the mid 1990s, although by that time physical editing of the tape had given way to the audio being ingested into SADIE (digital audio editing suite). A few years after that, Minidiscs took over for portable recording purposes until replaced by digital recorders..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2022 3:27 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @alex728

They were used by Auntie well into the mid 1990s, although by that time physical editing of the tape had given way to the audio being ingested into SADIE (digital audio editing suite).

When TC closed, I was given what looked like an unissued one, complete with leather case.

Interestingly, it had been modified so that only the fastest tape speed was available for use - 7.5ips.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/02/2022 11:35 am
Alex728 liked
Page 2 / 2