Notifications
Clear all

Service Manuals For Sale

TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Hi all,

I know these are probably too new for people here, but I have for sale a fairly large collecton of service manuals.

I don't have a list as there are so many of them, but they cover TV, Video, Hi-Fi & camcorders mainly from the the 90's.

All sorts from Aiwa to Zanussi. Many never used. To give an idea of numbers, there are aprox 40 lever arch files plus two 4 drawer cabinets full.

I have no idea of value (either for the lot or per manual)

If a list is required I could create one, but it would take some time to generate.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/07/2018 8:02 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Jon,

I could be interested in a few selected Sony manuals, assuming you have them, and can spare the time to sort them out?

I'd need to explore my archive of neo-classic TV, VCR and DVD models to see what I have, but there aren't very many.

Equally useful would be the method of entry to the various 'service man' / 'setup' menus/controls.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2018 11:38 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Hi Marion,

There are quite a few Sony TV manuals. Not sure how many VCR, but no DVD manuals. I will have a look next time I'm in the workshop.

I think I'm going to have to make a list, but not looking forward to that job!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/07/2018 10:53 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Its at times like these I'm reminded that I wish I/we could afford a scanning bureau service. Back in my old I.T. life we contracted a company called Pafec EDM to scan many thousands of documents into our system. We had dedicated teams on site at two different campuses for months, if not almost a year, solely scanning day in day out. 

Like you I have countless folders, manuals, books and cabinets full of physical data. Almost all of mine the period we deal with, yet I've barely scratched the surface in porting them to digital format.  As I've said many times before, If I dedicated my time to scanning it all I would have little or no time left for other things or to enjoy the hobby. Hence why I adopted the pragmatic approach of scan on demand.

As I see it, all this data we hold is destined to be dumped and lost forever as no one single person can or will try to scan it all. Equally very few others take the time to scan what little they have either. I suppose the reality is nobody really will care, just the few, the minority of folk like us, a group that as time passes diminishes in numbers without replacement. 

All tech savvy  folk of the future will be looking for will be circuits for iPads and iMacs or Galaxy this and Galaxy that, none will care about (their words) crappy old CRT TV's or valve radios.

I wonder if all our data could be shipped to China where they could scan it for us in a couple of months. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2018 11:16 am
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Hi Marion,

I think I remember seeing a few TV/VCR combi manuals too.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/07/2018 12:06 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Posted by: Chris

Its at times like these I'm reminded that I wish I/we could afford a scanning bureau service. Back in my old I.T. life we contracted a company called Pafec EDM to scan many thousands of documents into our system. We had dedicated teams on site at two different campuses for months, if not almost a year, solely scanning day in day out. 

Like you I have countless folders, manuals, books and cabinets full of physical data. Almost all of mine the period we deal with, yet I've barely scratched the surface in porting them to digital format.  As I've said many times before, If I dedicated my time to scanning it all I would have little or no time left for other things or to enjoy the hobby. Hence why I adopted the pragmatic approach of scan on demand.

As I see it, all this data we hold is destined to be dumped and lost forever as no one single person can or will try to scan it all. Equally very few others take the time to scan what little they have either. I suppose the reality is nobody really will care, just the few, the minority of folk like us, a group that as time passes diminishes in numbers without replacement. 

All tech savvy  folk of the future will be looking for will be circuits for iPads and iMacs or Galaxy this and Galaxy that, none will care about (their words) crappy old CRT TV's or valve radios.

I wonder if all our data could be shipped to China where they could scan it for us in a couple of months. 

I wonder if they will even be bothered with manuals for iPod's and the like? It's easier to just go and get a new one!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/07/2018 12:09 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Yes there are such circuits available but via clandestine ways, which I won't go into to here. There's a young chap ( Louis) I follow on youtube, he carries on the tradition of true component level fault finding and repairs, to these modern devices and tries to educate others to think and do so themselves.

Though the big companies like Apple do their damnedest to put a stop to it. They say something cannot be repaired and would rather sell a new one. There is new legislation trying to be passed in the U.S. the "Right to Repair" Bill. 

Louis Rossman and Jessa Jones from iPad Rehab are two who continue the tradition of repair.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2018 12:23 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that, and I do have a (one!) TV/VCR combo by Sony.

Some of my Sony hoard are workers, but there are some that I took pity on and rescued in their death throes. One or two are my own that have died in service but were considered not worth repairing - perhaps one day they'll get their long deserved return to functionality.

Anyway, and stepping forward, sorry I haven't had a chance to look over my stash this week. It was meant to be MOT preparation week, but turned out to be a life and death battle for my Chester, a 'bullet nut' of a cat who got himself into a battle with a car, and came off second best - literally, every day at the vets' making agonising decisions over his fate and administering his physiotherapy, so not much else done beyond rounding up a few car parts in anticipation of this weekend/next week.

I will, however, get back on the trail just as soon as the car(s) are MOT assured.

Meanwhile, Chester is soldiering on, albeit a long way from normal - and me nearly £1k on my credit card!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/08/2018 9:40 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Hi Marion,

Sorry to hear about Chester! I hope he will be OK.

Tonight I will start on the list of manuals, not looking forward to it!

I will start on the Sony manuals first.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/08/2018 9:50 pm