Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Test Recording

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Not sure I really need this but it does no harm to ask, would any Philips N1500 owners with a working player, be able to provide me with a test recording. This is to assist with the repair of my N1500 thread see here  and in particular the sync fault condition exhibited here.

Failing that would any of the said owners be able to comment or confirm my proposition here about checking and setting up the eddy current braking.

Topic starter Posted : 17/01/2019 11:33 am
Topic Tags
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Hi Chris, no doubt you are aware of a small selection of used N1500 tapes on ebay.

A gamble, naturally, as their condition plus N1500/1700 versions may not be known. But there is a chance they might help of course. ? 

Posted : 19/01/2019 12:14 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the input, indeed I'm aware. I've already bought and have in my possession, half a dozen tapes including two brand new NOS cleaning tapes, that's what I've been using. I actually posted about their acquisition in the N1500 thread on the 12th/12/2018 here ?

All these tape types as you correctly say are capable of being used to record on an N1500 or N1700. It would appear all of mine have been used on an N1700. There's little point in buying yet another box full on the off chance one might have an N1500 tape. I get the impression N1500 recordings may be thin on the ground as N1700 machines seem to be in more abundance than N1500. Couple that with the fragility and inherent problems of the N1500, many have gone the way of the dodo and the tapes used up on N1700's, still never say never.

On that note a forum member has contacted me privately and informs me he has spoken to an engineer who worked on these machines back in the day. This engineer has stated he may be able to provide me with a test tape, English manual and some spares. Now that really would make my day on all fronts.

Topic starter Posted : 19/01/2019 10:04 am