Notifications
Clear all

Sell/offer [Closed] Thorn 8924 VCR Offer

Daniel
(@daniel)
New V-Ratter Registered

Hi

I have a Thorn 8924 / Ferguson 3V23 (clone of JVC HR-7700) with DER branding. Complete with manual and remote control.

As far as I know it still works. It fast forwards, rewinds and plays etc, but as I no longer have an analog TV I do not know what the picture quality is like (it was okay in the past.)

There have been two small holes cut into a panel on the back for access to screws.

I live in Manchester and can deliver locally (up to about 45 minutes drive away.) 

Any financial offer would be appreciated, but I would rather it go to a good home than be taken to the tip for recycling.

Cheers

Daniel

DER 8924 video back
DER 8924 video back panel
DER 8924 Video Manuel
DER 8924 Video front top
DER 8924 Video front
Topic starter Posted : 25/09/2020 1:06 pm
untune
(@untune)
New V-Ratter Registered

@daniel

Hi Daniel, long shot here as this is 6 months old but is this still available by any chance?

Posted : 11/03/2021 2:19 pm
Daniel
(@daniel)
New V-Ratter Registered

Hi @untune

Yes, it is still available.

Apologies for not responding sooner, I did not see your post.

I have sent you a direct message.

Best wishes
Daniel

Topic starter Posted : 08/05/2021 7:40 pm
untune
(@untune)
New V-Ratter Registered

@daniel

I had an email saying you had messaged me but the PM system doesn't seem to work, just keeps sending me in circles to the homepage!  Apologies but I can't see what you've sent

Posted : 08/05/2021 7:59 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @untune

PM system doesn't seem to work, just keeps sending me in circles

Hi Lee, that's an incorrect assumption, but I can see why you would assume that.

The PM system is actually working, the problem being as a new user with only two posts, you do not yet have permission to use it. This was covered in the rules that every new member is required to tick they've read when they've registered, otherwise registration failed. I can only assume you either have forgotten or did not actually read them.

Extract: full rules are here

4. New Members: All new user Members are put in the “New members” group, this means your posts will require moderator approval. Once confidence is established you will be moved to the “Registered” group, thereafter you will be able to post freely in accordance with this rule-set. Access to the private messaging system is barred until a member has made five posts

We restrict the PM system not out of malice but for security, some people only register with the intent to cause mayhem. I have now enabled you account with PM access, so you can conclude your dealings with Daniel. I hope thereafter you may stay with us and be part of the community, there's a lot of experience here and of course the more you post other services will become available to you such as access to our service data library.

Finally, apologies to both you and Daniel for not sorting this sooner, I've been rather busy with a TV repair and neglected to process my admin duties.

Posted : 11/05/2021 8:19 am
untune
(@untune)
New V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @crustytv
Posted by: @untune

PM system doesn't seem to work, just keeps sending me in circles

Hi Lee, that's an incorrect assumption, but I can see why you would assume that.

The PM system is actually working, the problem being as a new user with only two posts, you do not yet have permission to use it. This was covered in the rules that every new member is required to tick they've read when they've registered, otherwise registration failed. I can only assume you either have forgotten or did not actually read them.

Extract: full rules are here

4. New Members: All new user Members are put in the “New members” group, this means your posts will require moderator approval. Once confidence is established you will be moved to the “Registered” group, thereafter you will be able to post freely in accordance with this rule-set. Access to the private messaging system is barred until a member has made five posts

We restrict the PM system not out of malice but for security, some people only register with the intent to cause mayhem. I have now enabled you account with PM access, so you can conclude your dealings with Daniel. I hope thereafter you may stay with us and be part of the community, there's a lot of experience here and of course the more you post other services will become available to you such as access to our service data library.

Finally, apologies to both you and Daniel for not sorting this sooner, I've been rather busy with a TV repair and neglected to process my admin duties.

Apologies if my reply seemed a bit rash, it wasn't my intention; I should have known better considering I've been around forums by now to know how new member restrictions work!  And I apologise also for missing the rules, I did read through them when I joined but alas, in the meantime it had slipped my mind.

Thankyou for granting me access, it is very much appreciated and I do hope to get more involved in coming months, I'm hoping to start a new valve amplifier project and sites such as this are invaluable for their community technical knowledge and guidance.

Best regards!

Posted : 11/05/2021 8:37 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

I once had on of these! - And to be honest, if all else fails, I wouldn't say no to this one, if the above dealings don't work out.

It's big beast of a machine, lots of features, but the bottom line is that the video quality is still only equal to its smaller siblings, limited by the technical standards of the day.

If I recall, they had some nice 'trick' features like single frame advance, still picture (freeze frame) free from noise, slow motion in both forward and reverse, X2 video playback (double speed) and half speed playback, and I think, perhaps a long play feature.

Posted : 11/05/2021 2:33 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Hi Marion, no long play on these machines I'm afraid and also the playback quality could vary quite a lot between machines, there is also a hidden earth screw which if loose can give symptom similar to poor heads. I have one which I got up and running while I was recovering from my back operation, missing tracking control knobs were kindly supplied by one of our Scandinavian members and a remote was kindly donated just recently by Ed Dinning. I'm still after a square make badge if anyone has one.

You can see the repair here, it performs extremely well.

Posted : 11/05/2021 7:59 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @jayceebee

Hi Marion, no long play on these machines.

Aye, well I wasn't sure about that, which is why I said "I think, perhaps".

Posted by: @jayceebee

also the playback quality could vary quite a lot between machines.

Indeed it did, but what meant was, that despite all the bells and whistles, all machines were designed within a set of technical specifications, and extra features didn't automatically bring better image quality. My old Sony SLV-70E was a pretty basic machine, but it produced exceptional image quality - Way better than my Aiwa (whatever model it was) with all the fancy gizmology and control panel as big as a football field.

Tape quality seemed to play quite a part in that as well?

Posted : 11/05/2021 8:16 pm
Daniel
(@daniel)
New V-Ratter Registered

This machine has now gone to a good, new home.

Thank you V-Rat for saving it from becoming WEEE! 

Best wishes

Daniel

Topic starter Posted : 20/05/2021 9:15 pm