Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wanted Wanted: STR54041M IC

Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Has anybody got one of these ICs available? Note the 'M' suffix - apparently they were a special for Panasonic (I'm assuming M = Matsushita).

My much-loved CRT telly has developed a fault which sounds almost like arcing inside the SMPSU transformer - and it's visible on screen. So I'm having to slum it with a 32" Panasonic panel: the HD pictures are superb I have to say, but the sound leaves me realising just how good the sound on the "Prism" set was.

I've gone over the three transformers (LOPT, line driver and SMPSU) for dry joints but to no avail.

Can anyone help? All costs met, of course (and before anyone mentions it, Donberg don't have any).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/07/2021 2:33 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Is the 'M' suffix of any significance Mike? I ask as all I have is a standard STR54041 in stock.

20210711 144119[1]
ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2021 2:45 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I can't find any info on 'M' type, plenty of non 'M' about.

Cricklewood

Donberg

Amazon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2021 3:09 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @crustytv

Is the 'M' suffix of any significance Mike? I ask as all I have is a standard STR54041 in stock.

20210711 144119[1]

Apparently they were a special for Panasonic (I'm assuming M = Matsushita). I did mention that in my post 😉

From what little I've gleaned from the 'net, a regular 54041 won't last long. Plenty of people have the regular STR54041 (good ol' Cricklewood, for one) but I really am very concerned about the noise from the transformer, which appears within a minute of switch-on. I could try just an ordinary STR54041 as a test, but I think it's unlikely to be that.

With that in mind, rather than deplete your stock I'll buy one from Cricklewood but thank you for the offer nonetheless, it's very kind of you 🙂 And there was me thinking that the days of the PL38M and the TY86 were long gone!

I do have an identical set I can swap components from, but at the moment a complete lack of tidiness prevents me from getting access to it and also... I'm not in the right frame of mind for doing this sort of work. I've lost a lot (and I mean a lot) of interest in all matters TV and radio, vintage and modern these last few months.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/07/2021 3:17 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @cathovisor

Apparently they were a special for Panasonic (I'm assuming M = Matsushita). I did mention that in my post 😉

I know you did, I read it. I was mainly enquiring if you were aware of anything of significance other than manufacturer. From your further info above, it's a hardened version, think you're going to have a devil of a job finding an 'M'. Best of luck, I know the agonies of finding hens teeth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2021 3:29 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @crustytv
Posted by: @cathovisor

I know you did, I read it. I was mainly enquiring if you were aware of anything of significance other than manufacturer. From your further info above, it's a hardened version, think you're going to have a devil of a job finding an 'M'. Best of luck, I know the agonies of finding hens teeth.

Well, I did buy that other Panasonic set as a parts set to keep this one going so maybe that will be happening in the future. Somehow I think my luck won't match yours - by the way, I was really disappointed to read about that Salora F chassis manual going AWOL. I'm still kicking myself over all those export Bush radio manuals getting binned when my house was emptied for refurbishment in 2014 - if only I'd moved the bloody things up to storage... 🤬

I also have a spare Salora K chassis to get my Mum's 24K77 going again. One day...

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/07/2021 4:51 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

IIRC the "M" versions of the common STR chips also had the pins staggered the opposite way around, and I think you are correct in that the normal versions (legs bent to fit) didn't last too long in a Panasonic set.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2021 6:45 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

@cathovisor

What model is this please ? It sounds like an Alpha2 chassis as they used that STR chopper chip.

I have had to actually remove the line driver transformer on these before to re-solder the actual windings to the pins, plus when re-soldering the Lopt and chopper transformers you had to make sure that you didn't only re-solder the pins to rivet but also the rivets that the pins go through to the actual PCB lands as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2021 9:29 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

It's a TX24A1, which does indeed use the Alpha 2 chassis.

I've already had the line driver transformer out, cleaned and resoldered - I think next it will be the LOPT and chopper transformer to receive the same treatment.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/07/2021 11:01 am