Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Wanted: Thorn 8000 Chassis based CTV to complete collection

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi folks, 

A long shot I know but if you don't ask......

As you all probably know BRC/Thorn features quite prominently in my TV collection, I would dearly like to add a couple of missing chassis' to make it complete for me. green= got, black=need, red=jury out

2000, 3000, 3500, 4000, 8000, 8500, 8800, 9000, 9905, 9600, 9800.

The 4000 is highly unlikely to ever surface, the 9800 is something that I might think about at some point in the future. What I'm looking for and in the title of this wanted thread is an 8000 series chassis and to make it an even harder objective, a dead set, not really interested in working examples. Sets with bits missing, dead doublers, robbed of transistors. i.c's are OK.  The only requirement is a reasonable CRT, anything rusty, crusty and generally in poor condition that's been sitting in the corner of your shed for years, will be perfect.

So a Ferguson 3712, 3727 HMV 2712 or Marconi 4712.

ferg3712
hmv2712
Marc4712

Topic starter Posted : 14/05/2018 9:37 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

If one turns up in this neck of the woods, you have transport. The Marconiphone is definitely the best-looking of the three IMO.

Posted : 14/05/2018 10:38 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

likewise Chris, if I come across an 8000 you'll be the first to know.

Posted : 14/05/2018 11:59 pm
Marcus 3700
(@marcus-3700)
Member Deactivated Account

One of my old Friends has the very rare "only made in 1977 in small numbers" Ferguson 8004 I think it had been used for spares, because the last time I saw it most of the boards had been removed. I haven't spoke to him in years and with him living in Norfolk don't get the chance to call.

I will try and find out if he still has it.

Posted : 15/05/2018 12:39 am
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

I have the 17 inch Ferguson version. Missing its timbase board and back cover sadly. case not too bad. If its of interest let me know.

Dave

Posted : 05/06/2018 8:54 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Dave,

@brc_3000

That sounds absolutely perfect and I would be very interested.  ? 

I suspect you're at the other end of the country to me so I would have to see what I could arrange via the forum courier service. John (jayceebee) gets about a fair bit due to his job so he might be able to help.

Topic starter Posted : 05/06/2018 9:02 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Hi Dave, as Chris says I get around a bit. I'm currently in Derby at the moment doing some company training until tomorrow evening, where are you located?

John.

Posted : 05/06/2018 9:56 pm
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Hi John.  Im  in Poole Dorset . Not sure if you venture this far south? 

Posted : 05/06/2018 10:57 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Hi Dave, I've worked overtime down there many times, usually around Brighton at very short notice but not for a while now. We've lost a number of staff in the south recently so a trip down there in the near future could be on the cards. Unfortunate timing but one of my colleagues who I've met several times is on the course at the moment and is from Portsmouth.

John.

Posted : 05/06/2018 11:09 pm
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Ok. Well its in my store and not in the way so as and when is fine. I will take some pics next time im there to make sure its what Chris wants.

Dave

Posted : 06/06/2018 7:33 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Cheers Dave, 

I'm sure it will be perfectly fine for me, I've taken on real basket cases before, in fact one was just a cabinet and a necked crt. That underwent a total rebuild and became the most prized TV in my Thorn collection, the Baird 8724, the story is here. I'm sure yours is nowhere near as bad as that.

I just so happen to have a timebase module in stock (state unknown) and I should be able to sort a back out from another larger set with some modification. It will fill the long missing hole in my Thorn collection, this is something  I was beginning to think was not going to happen. That will just leave the elusive 4000 to hunt down, I think I've more chance taming a unicorn on that one though!

Sods law, just found out my wife's boss was in Dorset on hols last week ! ? 

Please pm me your details and how much I owe you as I don't expect a freebie, more than happy to pay.

Once again many, many thanks for coming to the aid of my request. Hopefully in the not too distant future it will feature up top in my TV collection repair blogs ? 

Topic starter Posted : 06/06/2018 8:27 am
Marcus 3700
(@marcus-3700)

Hello Chris,

This week I called at my old friends and sat looking rather sorry for it's self was the old 8004 chassis minus it's chassis, tube necked, but does have it's original back. A guy from London purchased some test equipment and asked if he could possibly use the chassis, to fault find on his set, and he would fetch back the Ferguson chassis in due coarse... that was in 2011. He never came back!

I have now bought this cabinet for the grand some of £20 and I'm more than willing to donate to you for free, I don't use "paypal" so this would make my donation to you instead of "cash Paypal donate" Will take pictures of the tv later on today if you want this rather empty tv, your Baird springs to mind!

For now, it will be residing in my unused workshop at my parents house in South Yorkshire, and when I get chance to move it closer to you, via Katie Bush, or Marc in Wakefield if they can accommodate a small set. Sadly my partner has MS so not quite sure when I can move this tv to you, but will be later on this year.

I have also decided to not bother contacting Aidan, regarding the two Decca CS1830 sets. One is olive one is teak, both incomplete. One has damage to the side, I think the darker olive set is the earlier model and I'm sure Cathovisor was looking for this set too! How about one each?

Regards,

Marcus.     

Posted : 19/06/2018 5:23 am
BRC 3000
(@brc_3000)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Hi Chris. Tried to send you a pm but could not find your name in the list of contacts. I expect i was doing something wrwrong. If you want to drop me a pm I will reply with contact details.  Dave

Posted : 19/06/2018 7:29 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Dave, a pm has been sent. 

Regarding the pm system, have a look here for details of how to send a message. 

Topic starter Posted : 19/06/2018 8:01 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: Marcus 3700

Hello Chris,

[..] old 8004 chassis minus it's chassis, tube necked, but does have it's original back.  I have now bought this cabinet for the grand some of £20 and I'm more than willing to donate to you.

Hi Marcus,

I hope you will not be offended that I respectfully decline the kind offer of the "8004" shell.

Your 8004 is a too much of a basket case and as Dave (BRC 3000) has already offered me a Fergy 3712 8000 series, I'm now sorted. The set Dave has kindly offered is only missing a single board and a rear cover, therefore a more viable rebuild/repair than trying to source a chassis, modules and a CRT.

Regards
Chris

Topic starter Posted : 19/06/2018 8:20 am
Marcus 3700
(@marcus-3700)

Hi Chris,

Glad you're sorted regarding the 8000 series sets, was probably for the best, the set you are getting from Dave sounds just the ticket ! and I wish you well getting it running up to full working order 🙂 I'm kinda feeling sorry for this old 8004 set, so hopefully I should get it going again, after begging parts from my old tv chums. The tube may possibly prove challenging to obtain, but with it being quite a low serial number 0164 I'm now determined to complete this sets rebuild, back to the land of the living, and hopefully watching.

With you not saying yes to the two CS1830 also offered in the "wanted 8000 series sets" I can only assume you now have this set too, so will offer my incomplete sets to a guy in the Lake District, who wanted them.

Look forward to reading your exploits with your 8000 set 🙂

Marcus.

Posted : 20/06/2018 3:16 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: Marcus 3700

With you not saying yes to the two CS1830 also offered in the "wanted 8000 series sets" I can only assume you now have this set too, so will offer my incomplete sets to a guy in the Lake District, who wanted them.

Hi Marcus,

No I haven't got a CS1830.

I did not say anything yesterday as I wanted to speak to Catho ( Mike) first but he's not contactable for a few days. The reason for speaking to Mike was due to you suggesting they should be split, one to Mike and one to me, I wanted to see if he was agreeable to toss for them. The reason being I think one person should have both, exactly as you now intend for your mate in the Lake District. You see this way there's a greater chance of getting one working set as I seriously doubt any spares will be found now, better one working than two dead.  I was then going to find out what you were asking for as you didn't say, after all you might want £20 or £200, always best to get this clear. I also didn't realise there was a rush to respond but no worries, just glad they're going to a good new home.  ? 

As this threads goal was to find an 8000 and that goal now achieved, I will now close this thread. Any further arrangements to move the 8000 from Dave's location to mine can be sorted via the pm system. Thanks to all who contributed.  ? 

Topic starter Posted : 20/06/2018 6:57 am