Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Wanted: VR2022 Upper Video Head/Drum

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I'm looking for a replacement upper head drum as the one in mine has drum corrosion, its lost some of its chrome surface. This I believe due to the VCR prior to my purchasing, having been stored in a loft. The loss of large parts of the chrome surface through corrosion, results in the tape sticking to the head drum, causing intermittent but increasingly frequent protection shutdown. Other than that the player is in mint condition, just the upper drum seems to have suffered.

Topic starter Posted : 04/04/2019 2:49 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Five years after getting this player and 1+ year after placing this wanted advert, I finally sourced a brand new "Old Stock" VR2022 video head drum. Cost twice as much as I paid for the VCR ? but its worth it as other than the original drum losing its chrome surface, its a mint machine. I may even be able to salvage the actual heads from the old for spares. we shall see.

Anyway, when I have my workshop back, I'll set about installing the new one, that'll no doubt be fun! Only head drums I've replaced thus far are Philips N1500 and N1700. Anyone ever done a V2000 back in the day?

vh 1
vh 2

Topic starter Posted : 05/09/2020 9:31 am
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Chris,

It feels like hundreds of years since I repaired one of these! Actually I think drum replacement is fairly straightforward but keep the new head in the plastic container because I think the top part acts as a location jig. I think its a question of removing the old head, dropping the new head in place and using the locating pin to line up two holes, one in the head and one on the chassis. Tighten the screw on the head shaft, remove the top plastic jig and pin and job done.

Posted : 05/09/2020 10:18 am
Nuvistor and crustytv liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Wow! Thanks for the insider info Rich, much appreciated. ?

I had hoped you might know having been a Philips engineer. I thought there might have been instructions in the box but all that was there was a little ziplock bag (in photo 2) with a tiny plastic post and the head drum in its case. I'd no idea the case was part of the jig alignment.

The VR2022 service manual is in the library, I'll have to check that, maybe they provide further guidance in there but your recollections are just what I needed.

Topic starter Posted : 05/09/2020 10:25 am
freya
(@freya)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Could be worth a Youtube video showing the process....if it works ?, 

Posted : 05/09/2020 12:28 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Well it's been about 300 years since I did one but I think because the way the heads work on their little piezo-electric platforms, all that's needed afterwards is a set-up of playback and record levels. Don't take the above as gospel. I think the peg might be to lock the head motor in the correct position.

Posted : 05/09/2020 2:41 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Lots of info here but there's certainly no shims in my box just the locking pin. I can see this might be as I suggested a lot of fun!

Topic starter Posted : 05/09/2020 3:18 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hmmm....not sure about shims being used for these. I think that might have been the Charley and Turbo VHS decks. Like I said it WAS a long time ago. I can't even remember when I last repaired a VCR apart from my own.....

Posted : 06/09/2020 10:25 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Head drum replacement procedure can be found here, supplied with thanks by @jcdaze

Topic starter Posted : 06/09/2020 11:56 am