Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] A large Murphy in the North East.

PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Well I have spied a large Murphy console on ebay in Newcastle Upon Tyne and you might guess my silly question..... Could anyone locally collect it with a view to assisting it southwards eventually?

I bit of a big ask I know.....but worth a try I guess.

I think it is a V280 variety of set.

Many thanks for looking (and laughing perhaps?)  ? 

Topic starter Posted : 20/11/2019 11:17 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

V280AD. 

http://www.murphy-radio.co.uk/murphybilia/cats/1956.pdf

Posted : 21/11/2019 12:32 pm
PYE625 liked
PYE625
(@pye625)

I am of the opinion that it is unreasonable to ask something like this due to the size of the set, few people would have a vehicle suitable let alone the manpower to shift it around. Then of course the agro of getting it all the way down here.

I have therefore decided to get quotes from Shiply, and if fortunate to win the set for a sensible price, will then consider the quotes for transport of the set to my home.

Topic starter Posted : 21/11/2019 7:01 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Illustrious V-Ratter Moderator

Now then,

If that set could be brought to my part of the world, I could offer harbourage for you, and still having to arrange to connect with Mike (Catho) to bring my trailer home, and if he's up for it, perhaps we could yet get it at least as far as Peterborough?

I wonder if David might be able collect, and bring the set to my spot?

Posted : 21/11/2019 7:24 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

Don't forget that a telly comes with the trailer, Marion 🙂

Lovely to see you up and about again.

Posted : 21/11/2019 8:11 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @pye625

few people would have a vehicle suitable let alone the manpower to shift it around. Then of course the agro of getting it all the way down here.

You've not seen me get an Ekco ARG399 out of Clarabelle single-handed, have you? Or a Dynatron Ether Sovereign out of a van on my own (okay, the chassis were out of that one).

It may, however, be best done via Shiply which can be very reasonable.

Posted : 21/11/2019 8:21 pm
PYE625 liked
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Posted by: @cathovisor

Don't forget that a telly comes with the trailer, Marion 🙂

Lovely to see you up and about again.

Hi Mike,

I hadn't forgotten the Murph' - I was just thinking aloud. I've had a large Murphy console in back of Oliver, and without having to "remove the 'andles, and the fings wot old the candles". The Murph' at your end would, I imagine, ride home in the trailer?

As to being up and about. . . I take it day-by-day, and nothing is for granted, bearing in mind that I will need to sort things out with doctors at some point soon.

Granted, if Shiply can do that job at a price that suits, then it quite probably is the best way to go.

Posted : 21/11/2019 9:25 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

That's the idea, Marion - it comes up in Big Bertha. I've noticed my neighbour is busily involved sorting out an ex-caravan chassis for the local Christmas float: I wonder if I can rope him into helping me get your  trailer kicked into touch so that the bearings are properly cleaned and greased and the brakes working? Hmmm.... he has a nice covered garage too!

Posted : 21/11/2019 9:44 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Posted by: @cathovisor

Hmmm.... he has a nice covered garage too!

There's nothing like a nice covered garage, especially a heated one, and at this time of the year. . . . That's probably the bit I notice most since my brother upped sticks all those years ago.

Posted : 21/11/2019 10:16 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)

Good to hear from you Marion....hope you are as well as can be, under the circumstances. ? 

Shiply quotes started off at £161 and now are down to £50.

Topic starter Posted : 22/11/2019 10:51 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

That's what usually happens with Shiply - starts expensive and rapidly falls. I couldn't drive it for £50, even though the Panzer is still surprisingly frugal after 271,000 miles! 

Posted : 23/11/2019 12:42 am
PYE625
(@pye625)

I was outbid and so have lost the Murphy. I hope it will go to a good home.

It is a two edged sword because on the one hand I would have liked the set of course, but on the other, it is rather large and I have a nice set with this type of chassis already. So there. Shouldn't be greedy. ?

Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2019 8:55 pm