Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Closed] Rochester to anywhere safe - for onward transport to Yorkshire?

Page 1 / 2

Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Illustrious V-Ratter Moderator

Hi all,

A tricky one, this, given the current virus pandemic, but is there anyone near Rochester, who could collect three Philips VCRs on my behalf, with the intention of finding onward transport to Yorkshire, or a handover at a mutually agreeable location (M-Way services etc.)?

There would be no rush or time pressure, just the need to collect and keep safe until they can be moved on.

Any expenses to me, naturally.

Thanks in anticipation of any help at all to move them - assuming I win them!

Marion

Topic starter Posted : 16/06/2020 6:52 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

I'm not sure yet when I'd be able to help, but it wouldn't be out of the question for me to transport from Rochester to, say, Donington Park? I was expecting July to be possible but August now seems more likely.

Posted : 16/06/2020 8:15 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

Hi, yes!

Well that's very good of you, thank you. I'm just pondering now over the logistics of that. My health precludes any great distances, but it might just be doable. I'll let you know as things work out.

I'm on the border of East and North Yorkshire - Derby is about 75 miles from here, Likewise Nottingham. Not sure how far Donnington is beyond that.

Cheers! ?

Topic starter Posted : 16/06/2020 9:52 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

If it's any help I'm at Ilkeston, between Nottingham and Derby, so not far from Donington Park. I could potentially hold them here until a way further up North could be worked out. Or possibly if I venture further North myself.

Steve

Posted : 17/06/2020 8:37 am
Mikey66
(@mikey66)
Active V-Ratter Registered

I'm happy to store these VCRs, When EmleyMoor collects the stuff I have for him.

Also I could probably get them to you when I visit Chris once the Covid-19 situation is under control.

Posted : 17/06/2020 10:04 am
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)

@mikey66 That possibility did enter my mind. At present I'm not sure if it will be July or August, but hopefully not too long in any case.

Posted : 17/06/2020 1:37 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

No problem EmleyMoor ? 

Posted : 17/06/2020 4:09 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

Hi all,

Thanks, everybody for your input. It looks at least like we have a way forward with these. Of course, I have to win the bid, and that's not guaranteed, but fingers crossed.

As I say, I'm not rushing, and there is no time pressure, other than possibly that of the seller wanting them collecting, but I'll check that out with them.

Great work fellas, and much appreciated.

Now, let's get my bidding hat on! - Then I'll let you all know.

Marion

Topic starter Posted : 18/06/2020 8:31 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

Okay folks,

It's squared with the seller, so all I have to do is win the bidding.

Wish luck?

Marion

>>> Edit <<<

And we're off and running!

Topic starter Posted : 18/06/2020 9:38 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

Well, they're mine!

I'm just waiting on the seller to send me some contact details, then we can get the ball rolling.

Topic starter Posted : 20/06/2020 9:28 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

Okay, so "Emley Moor" has uplifted the recorders, and they're safe at his address. It looks like we have the makings of a plan to get them here, and there are different possible routes available depending upon his travel plans.

Everything looks good so far.

Topic starter Posted : 29/06/2020 11:00 pm
EmleyMoor
(@emleymoor)

I have only ever seen four VCR machines - and three of them are here at the moment.

Posted : 30/06/2020 10:07 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Posted by: @emleymoor

I have only ever seen four VCR machines - and three of them are here at the moment.

Ah, and with these, I have ten of them - eleven, if you include the derelict N1500 that I have - twelve if you include the one that 'Cathovisor' has donated!

Topic starter Posted : 01/07/2020 10:33 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

The VCR's are with me now, ready for their journey east on Sunday

Posted : 17/07/2020 3:01 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

I shall endeavour to be at the appointed place, at the appointed time!

This is great. A fine example of 'Ratter co-operation - "makes yer proud" to be amongst the crowd!

Topic starter Posted : 17/07/2020 11:45 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

Well, they're here, and they wait in quarantine, or until I feel up to hefting them out of the car.

Me being me, I had to lift the cassette hatch on one of them - a bit dusty inside, but in nice condition. The seller described them as "all three machines have issues", and one obvious issue is that in the one machine I looked at, the video head drum is binding (stiff to turn). I'd say the servo has a big job to provide enough power to spin up the drum. I'm looking forward to working on these.

Now, I have to say very special thanks to both Phil and Mike for making this happen, and given the distance, it must have been no mean feat. I really do appreciate the effort you both put into moving these machines from Kent to Yorkshire - an excellent example of the 'FCS' as we used to know it, at work.

Also, additional thanks to Mike for the bonus of a smart-phone! No less, a 3~4 year old Moto g4 - excellent, can't wait to get to grips with that! It could be quite handy while I'm at the hospital for the day, next Tuesday. And then, one thing I wasn't expecting. Mike offered me the Thorn 1615B. It's quite a big set, and takes up a lot of space. I wasn't sure to begin with, but what the heck, it was just crying in the background, asking for a new home. How could I say no?

So all-in-all, a good haul for one day.

Topic starter Posted : 19/07/2020 9:46 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)

@katie-bush

Please let us know how you get on with them.

Posted : 19/07/2020 10:57 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Posted by: @richardfrommarple

@katie-bush

Please let us know how you get on with them.

That's the general idea! Though it may be a while before they hit the bench. I suspect I'll need three sets of belts, so there's about £60 before I even start. I do have a cheap and dirty trick to test their functionality, though it's not really suited to normal operation.

The seller said that at least two of them have good video heads, so that's a bonus to start with.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is getting my cabin back into something like useable shape! ?

Topic starter Posted : 19/07/2020 11:07 pm
Mikey66
(@mikey66)

It was good to meet up with you Marion, hopefully the VCR's won't be more than new belts & a clean (they looked like they had been stored well).

As to the phone, Motorola do put a clean version of Android on without many bells & whistles so it should still be quite usable.

Posted : 20/07/2020 7:09 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)

@mikey66

Likewise, Mike, a rare pleasure to meet another forum member, and even more so under the current climate.

Anyway . . . It's a good job you were there - otherwise I wouldn't have got the car started! ? That car battery is toast. I put it on charge when I got home, left it on charge overnight, and this morning, the charger said it's charged - yep, standing at 12.9V, but drops to 8.3V as soon as I try starting the engine.

Had a look at the phone, and went for "Fresh Start". Shortly after that, It was after installing a newer version the Android OS, and wanted to update all the apps, so I OK'd that, and it took a couple of hours (more to the point, I went for a nap after the first hour!) and it was done by the time I resurfaced.

Does this phone have contactless charging? - When I plug it in it says "Charging over USB" almost hinting that it has more than one charging method.

Everything else is still in the car.

Cheers!

Topic starter Posted : 20/07/2020 10:04 pm
Page 1 / 2