Featured
Latest
1967/8 HMV 2700 - D...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

1967/8 HMV 2700 - Dual standard Colour (Thorn 2000)

51 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

This morning I managed to get something I thought would not be possible, I spent all my spare pennies on a HMV 2700 dual standard, colour from 1968 It also has an exact replica stand that I just need stain with Teak oil.

The chap has another set I wanted but as I had raided my piggy bank, I couldn't afford it at the same time. The chap is a real gent and he has put it by for me to save up for. I hope to get that early next year, another wonderful dual standard, Colour Hybrid, Decca CTV25.

Have I got the colour bug? Yes...... Istill love working with 405 and will continue to do so but these sets offer further challenges and the best of both worlds for me, 405 and 625, on a hybrid, you still get the thermionic fun too.

Therefore I have after careful consideration, decided to thin down my single standard 405 collection and try and bring a bit of focus ( Excuse the pun) to the collecting. My 405's currently stand at 30 sets, the plan is to try and reduce this by half. I may well be putting some up here or on e-bay to realise some cash to fund the Colour dual standards. keeping about 15, 405 only sets and concentrating in B&W Duals, Colour Duals and single standard 625.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 18/11/2013 3:45 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

Oh dear, oh dear  

Posted : 18/11/2013 3:48 pm
freya
(@freya)

OMG lock up your transistors, Chris has got the colour bug 

Posted : 18/11/2013 4:15 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

I'm getting another Pink Floyd vibe here (see the thread on the KB d/s here), but I think this time we're dealing with more than A Momentary Lapse Of Reason... 

Posted : 18/11/2013 4:28 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi Chris. Have you sorted the attic out yet cause if you do get any more large colour tvs you'll need the space.

Cheers,Neil.

Posted : 18/11/2013 4:41 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed Member Moderator

I'm getting another Pink Floyd vibe here

You could say that he's getting rid of some of his Relics and getting More colour sets to Meddle with. Although sometimes the faults are Obscured By Clouds and he would Wish You Were Here to help him.....

Sorry.....

Rich

Posted : 18/11/2013 4:56 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

Brilliant - I used to have one of these when I was at school. My mate's dad was a TV service man and it found it's way up to my bedroom. sadly I dumped it when I left home in 1980.

Ging

Posted : 18/11/2013 5:47 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable Member Registered

What a beautiful example, HMV were certainly the luxury end of the BRC group. Great condition too.
Noticed a lot of those Black/silver Callins horrors which will have to be replaced.

Cheers,
Brian

Posted : 18/11/2013 6:04 pm
Brian Cuff
(@briancuff)
Member Rest in Peace

Hi Chris. Have you sorted the attic out yet cause if you do get any more large colour tvs you'll need the space  .

And a couple of RSJs.

The CTV25 is about the only Colour set I have a hankering for! Don't let it get away, Chris.

Forum Memorial

Posted : 18/11/2013 6:15 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

Do I see a jelly pot LOPT in there?

Posted : 18/11/2013 6:41 pm
Refugee
(@refugee)
Noble Member Registered

They are reliable enough that even three of them should not be a problem.

Posted : 18/11/2013 6:51 pm
freya
(@freya)

And a couple of RSJs.

I typed that exact sentence out Brian but changed my mind as i already had my earlier cheeky jest.

Posted : 18/11/2013 7:00 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Chris. Have you sorted the attic out yet cause if you do get any more large colour tvs you'll need the space.

And a couple of RSJs.

No need.

Chris moves into the loft, tellies stay downstairs in the warm. Problem solved!

Posted : 18/11/2013 7:10 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

The system switching I take it is via solenoid, so which set of controls are 405 and 625? Probably a numpty question so forgive me, no I've not read the 2000 service data in the library yet but will be.

I take it the first three are 625, BBC2, BBC1 and ITV. I guessed as this it's very odd to see BBC2 listed first, I've never seen that on a TV before.

The second lot BBC1, ITV1 and ITV2 are for 405 ?

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 18/11/2013 7:53 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

That explains why it's BBC2.

Posted : 18/11/2013 8:14 pm
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Estimable Member Registered

Wow! That is one nice looking set. 1967/8 and fully solid state..this is a true 'classic' example and in such good condition too. Looking forward to seeing this one being started on. Hope the CRT is good! Cheers Glen

My You Tube Channel for those suffering from insomina - Youtube Glenz1975

Posted : 18/11/2013 9:13 pm
glenz75
(@glenz75)
Estimable Member Registered

Well thought out... I like it!

I'm getting another Pink Floyd vibe here

You could say that he's getting rid of some of his Relics and getting More colour sets to Meddle with. Although sometimes the faults are Obscured By Clouds and he would Wish You Were Here to help him.....

Sorry.....

Rich

My You Tube Channel for those suffering from insomina - Youtube Glenz1975

Posted : 18/11/2013 9:14 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Prominent Member Banned

Fantastic!, I am looking forward to the write up for this.

You have been well and truly bitten by the colour bug now Chris.

Posted : 18/11/2013 11:07 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Chris,

I think you're going to enjoy yourself on this one, and straight on to three legged beasties as well!

At least valves would have had an element of the comfort zone, however, transistors do at least (as a rule) run cooler, and at lower voltages.. Just remember the socking great EHT is the same as in valve/hybrid sets.

Marion

Posted : 18/11/2013 11:40 pm
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered

Oh dear ... you've definitely been bitten by the old telly bug.

Having said that, the HMV is definitely a piece of history - the world's first solid-state colour TV chassis - and a wonderful addition to the old telly collection.

Your example looks in remarkably good condition. There seems no sign of rust or dirt. It appears to have been kept in a clean, dry environment. Do you know anything about the history of the set? Like when was it last used, or what caused it to be taken out of service? This may give you an idea of the work involved in restoring it.

Already the photos reveal a number of the dreaded Callins capacitors often used by Thorn during this era. See Till's HMV radiogram thread for another example of these little black horrors: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6963
You might need to stock up on replacement electrolytics. It should be a interesting and challenging project though. I look forward to following your progress.

I understand about downsizing your 405 collection. Some of them are still listed as "requires restoration". Having taken on a few more colour TVs recently, I feared some of your old mono's would be forgotten about. It seems reasonable to pass on sets which won't get looked at.

Posted : 19/11/2013 2:10 am
Page 1 / 3
Share: