21 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

A note of caution on A823 .
the power board has a coin shaped thermistor ,remove the board and check the connections to this thermistor make good any sign of dry joints and ANY sign of carbonisation .
these two things can cause a spectacular flash over. and what lives on the other side of the power unit the DECODER .and you know what happens to semiconductors when this kind of thing happens.
its not that common but I had it on 3 sets so it ended up one of the things I checked before plugging an unknown one of these in.
Rob T

Posted : 01/11/2013 11:07 am
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

The main cause for the ic,s on the decoder to fail is if the two earthing screws on the psu are not tight. The thermistor (VA1104 if i remember) should be replaced if it sparks on switch on. A company produced a replacment psu for this chassis which used a soft start circuit which did away with the thermistor. These psu,s were very poor design and gave poor ht regulation, ie- picture bounce on bright scenes.

Posted : 01/11/2013 11:54 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

I forgot about the loose screws .
on 3 or 4 ex rental sets we bought, an engineer (sic) had decided to overcome the thermistor problem by simply twisting the wires together .
Rob T

Posted : 01/11/2013 12:07 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

I also forgot to mention the earthing screws on the decoder pcb must be tight. Rob, i have also seen the thermistor shorted out by twisting the two legs todether :ccf The BT106 objects to this *mod*, Malc.

Posted : 01/11/2013 12:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Rob and Malc have been offering up good tips for the Bush CTV187S but in the PYE CT203 thread.

So as to not loose them and as I had not yet started a thread for the Bush, I decided to start a separate thread now and move their valuable tips over to here.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 01/11/2013 12:23 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Another quick warning if the line stage does not start up those big electrolytes can hold a charge for a long time guess how I found out.
Rob T

Posted : 01/11/2013 12:34 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

There should be bleed resistors across both smoothers. 47k or 470k rings a bell. I once got a belt from one off those smoothers and caught my hand on the crt base pcb, followed by a long hiss from the crt. :ccg Make sure the 56-68 ohm wirewound dropper behind the smoothers has not been bodged.

Posted : 01/11/2013 12:49 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

That's exactly what happened to me fortunately it was not a customers set but yet another ex rental.
Rob T

Posted : 01/11/2013 12:57 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Chris,

somewhere in one of my junk boxes I have a few NOS VA1104s. If you need one drop me a PM. FOC + post as usual.

Al

Posted : 01/11/2013 5:00 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Al,

Nice to know there is so much help and support out there in VRATland :aad

Chris

Posted : 01/11/2013 7:29 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

I should have NOS decoder ic.s and VA1104 thermistors in stock, Malc.

Posted : 02/11/2013 2:29 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

A rainy Saturday here so bored I decided to switch on the Bush to see what the picture was like and I got a shock ( Not electrical)

Prior to receiving the set it has only had the frame output transistors replaced along with the midpoint balance pre-set, linearity preset, line drive capacitor and resistor.

I fed the set a test card and was surprised at the quality, linearity, purity and convergence all look good.

Now I've heard that these never gave as good a picture as some of its contemporaries, I have to say it's great. Nice and bright, lots of control on brightness/contrast and colour. The verticals on the test card however are occasionally wavy and the picture bounces every now and then so some work is needed, but a pretty good basis to work from. First will be to get the power supply up to scratch then take it from there.

When I turned this set on the sound was awful like the PYE & Hitachi, I thought hang on this cannot be happening to so many sets, so I dug out my 70's Mitsubuishi a known good worker, that was the same. I have now discovered my RF modulator has developed an audio fault. It was a cheap jobby from e-bay, so I've ordered a better model now.

Anyway looks like the Bush will be a fairly straight service to eliminate the issues it has. Another bonus is the wife reckons it will look good and more in keeping with the house as our main TV ,instead of the flat panel :aad

Posted : 02/11/2013 4:37 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi chris.
Does this set have a single or two chip decoder?
In my opinion the single chip gave an excellent picture the two chip being a retrograde step.
Rob T

Posted : 02/11/2013 5:16 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Chris,

You lucky little blighter ! that Bush doesn't look bad at all :aad
Mind you after the Pye CT203/1 you deserve a break :bba

Marc.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 02/11/2013 5:38 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Trouble is the pye will now have to have its sound readjusted,
Rob T

Posted : 02/11/2013 5:49 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Yep already thought that, still at least I know its a minor twiddle of L19. As for the Bush decoder its the single version. I've done nothing other than plug it in then spend the rest of the afternoon eliminating the cause of the audio.

Posted : 02/11/2013 5:55 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Honorable Member Registered

Another bonus is the wife reckons it will look good and more in keeping with the house as our main TV ,instead of the flat panel :aad

It's funny you should mention that because when I was 15-16 I desperately wanted one of these sets in order to impress my girlfriend. Up until now I've had no way of knowing whether it might have done or not.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 02/11/2013 6:25 pm
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable Member Registered

It's looking good already Chris :) . it might mean that i'll have to get my CTV197C going :bba , but please no one hold your breath :aaj .

Cheers,Neil.

Posted : 02/11/2013 6:48 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

Is your modulator the type with 2 push buttons underneath to set the channel number?

If so, press and hold both buttons for 5 secs , and check it still says 6 on the display and not 55. I completely realigned my G8 with it accidentally set for 5.5MHZ sound :aac

Posted : 02/11/2013 9:48 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Watch out for a pitfall that anyone who has worked on this chassis will have done at least once.

It's very easy due its position to forget to plug in the degauss coils after refitting the chassis to the set, doing so will put all the current that should go via the coils through a 680ohm resistor on the power supply producing clouds of smoke. :bba

John.

Posted : 02/11/2013 10:20 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: