12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi everyone,

Today I thought I'd try my trusty old G6 which I've owned for nearly 25 years. I was shocked when the picture didn't appear. It had a NOS loptx fitted a good many years ago having being the only fault I've had with it. All I could see was the fusable resistor down in the power section had sprung. It must have been the old solder as its running perfectly. I couldn't find my service manual so I'm. Assuming it's the ht feed.

The picture is really good on it's original green label mullard tube. One of my favourite old sets .

Regards.
Gary

Posted : 05/03/2016 4:02 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

I've still never seen one in the flesh! 

Posted : 05/03/2016 4:35 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

We had a couple of these, way back in about 1978.. One, we kept because it was such an excellent performer, the other went out on sale - never saw it again.

My own feeling was that the 22" was a better, sharper and more 'accurate' picture than any of the dozens 25" models we had.... 

Wish I still had one or two today...... 

Posted : 05/03/2016 10:36 pm
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Topic starter

Hi Marion
This set has always been one of my favourite sets .
It has also been very reliable while I've had it .
I took it to Leominster to display at our tcc convention a few years ago and it performed faultlessly for three days, it was switched on at 9am and switched off at midnight plus longer .
Not bad for a 40 year old hybrid.
Regards.
Gary.

Posted : 05/03/2016 11:32 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Gary,

Agree with that, and I always rather thought that Philips had just about perfected the G6, then ceased manufacture.. I have no doubt in my mind that the last of the S/S versions were a much improved and more dependable model that the earlier D/S versions.

What never ceased to amaze me was the fact that the same large chassis, shoehorned into a smaller cabinet, seemed to run cooler and happier than in the larger, 25" sets.

My next leap forward was to a KT3, which never once faltered in all its years of service.. I ended up hauling that one to a local auction room with a load of other sets and household miscellany.

Marion

Posted : 06/03/2016 12:20 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

Hi Gary,

My next leap forward was to a KT3, which never once faltered in all its years of service.. I ended up hauling that one to a local auction room with a load of other sets and household miscellany.

Marion

Ah, the KT3... "Wimbledon's coming, best order some Triplers".... there always seemed to be a rush on as the weather warmed up, and tennis fanatics were banished to the KT3 portable...

Posted : 06/03/2016 12:24 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)

Indeed, having worked on an original dual standard this version is a wonderful improvement with its plug in IF panel.
Yours truly fitted the NOS LOPT. The focus chain resistors had all changed in value so these were replaced.
The set worked but on setting up there was smearing one would expect from a low emission CRT, yet the image was bright. A spark was spotted in the PFL200 so was replaced. The poor picture persisted, replacing the BF108 solved the problem. A diode was used in the d/s version which caused excessive brightness when that failed.
I remember Gary encountered no colour when he got the set back. My fault as I'd set it up on a UHF modulator which is slightly off from off air reception. A slight adjustment of the Ref Osc coil was all that was needed.
This was over 10years ago. I'm pleased the set still works.
Oh yes, the 3A fuse failed on early tests. Think I used a standard 1inch mains 3A fuse which was all I had at the time. Needs a 1 1/4" anti surge type in this position.
Cheers
Brian

Posted : 06/03/2016 9:14 pm
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Topic starter

Hi Brian
I thought it was it least 10 years ago since you fitted the NOS lopt . In fact that's the last time the back was off so it's done very until yesterdays' minor fault .
I wonder if any engineers of that era can remember how reliable they were back then . I wonder how long they lasted from been installed new till their first breakdown.
Regards.
Gary.

Posted : 06/03/2016 10:08 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)

It must have been a matter of hours !! 

Posted : 07/03/2016 12:42 am
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Topic starter

Hi Malc
Blimey I thought that they might have lasted maybe a few months. Imagine what it must have been like to have been a Philips dealer then .
Regards.
Gary.

Posted : 07/03/2016 4:29 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Malc
Blimey I thought that they might have lasted maybe a few months. Imagine what it must have been like to have been a Philips dealer then .
Regards.
Gary.

There was a little mod you perform to keep a G6 running for longer - take the back off, chuck it in the bin, and put a damned big fan behind the set to blow cool air over its innards!

Failing that, only use the set on the coldest days of the year, and keep the living room window open.

Posted : 14/03/2016 11:08 pm
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Topic starter

Hi Marion
Thanks for the tip , so we safely say that the G6 wasn't very well liked ?.
Regards.
Gary.

Posted : 15/03/2016 6:11 pm
Share: