1970 HMV 2703: BRC/Thorn 3000 MKII Chassis

89 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
18 K Views
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable Member Registered

How did you get on with the stuck/split core?

Posted : 08/10/2016 9:25 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Tas,

apologies for not responding sooner, my excuse is I had my head buried in a thorn PSU repair followed by a rare twin LTB 3K module then a repair of an HMV 2725.

In answer to you query, I did nothing. Fearful of making matters worse I left it for another day. To be honest the picture is OK and the Ident tweak can wait for another day. I will get back to though.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 15/10/2016 2:13 pm
Forum 142
 Bob
(@Bob)

I was a dab hand at repairing the 3000/3500 series during my time as an apprentice with the North Eastern CO-OP. That was the start of almost 25years in the TV trade and how I'd love to go back and do it all again. Happy, happy days

Posted : 11/03/2018 6:37 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Bob,

welcome and thanks for posting ?

I have to admit the 3000/3500 is my favourite chassis to work on. A trade publication from August 1980 states the 3000/3500 had the greatest number of sales of any CTV in the 70's with many still in use right into the 80's.

Posted by Bob

Happy days

Glad to hear you say that, many gripe and moan but equally many like yourself enjoyed those days.

Posted : 11/03/2018 6:51 pm
Forum 142
 Bob
(@Bob)

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. The COOP used a lot of BRC / Rank / Grundig /Phillips gear and when I started out in 1977 we still had lots of mono sets, even some dual standards ! I left the repair side of things in 1999 then worked for Sky for a couple of years and now if anyone asked me to look at a TV, I wouldn't even know how to take the back off lol

Posted : 12/03/2018 7:33 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Bob,

if you've not already found it, hover your mouse over the "Television" section of the main website (not the forum) and you will find a whole load of stuff to interest you from brochures to trade publications and which reports etc.

You will also find my TV collection with many photo's of their insides, I'm sure it will all come flooding back.

tvs

p.s.

There are quite a few ex trade members on here and many from the North East, some worked for the various big names and some had their own shops. You might consider registering and becoming a full member. No pressure though as I do understand some folk prefer not to which is why I opened up guest posting. 

Another thing you may find fun to have a gander at is the trade tales section here  https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/category/trade-tales/

There's about 70 stories in there thus far, If you have any tales to tell please do share them by using the submission form. Its an attempt to try and capture those long lost days of the Radio/TV service engineer.

Posted : 12/03/2018 8:25 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Bob,

I was in the trade from 1962 to 1980, there is so much I have forgotten but manage some snippets from time to time in the forum. Brands I dealt with were Ekco/Pye and their other names, RBM, ITT, Hitachi, Toshiba and some audio equipment. Rogers, probably others now forgotten. I did see a few Thorn BW sets, the odd CTV, 3500, 8000 but was by then ready to leave the trade and had no interest in learning how the Thorn CTV sets worked, just fixed them and forgot about them.

The thing I remember about the Thorn BW sets in the middle 60’s they were so easy to fix, just not has reliable as the other makes we dealt with. Not that the other makes were difficult, it’s just the Thorn sets had more stock faults. Of course that’s my experience, others no doubt will be different.

Definitely have a look at the trade tales on the website, sure to bring a smile.

Like me you may have been long out of the trade but you will have something to contribute even if you don’t actively fix the ******* anymore, my interest doesn’t include fixing them either.

Look forward to reading your posts if you decide to join.

Frank

Posted : 12/03/2018 9:33 am
Forum 142
 Bob
(@Bob)

I always thought the Thorn 1500 mono was a lovely chassis to work on. Excellent picture quality much better than the RBM A774 chassis that the CO-OP had hundreds of. If I recall the 3 pots on the back Frame / Contrast and Line hold used to give problems .... I'm definitely gonna join because this is bringing back so many memories 🙂

Posted : 12/03/2018 8:16 pm
Forum 142
 Bob
(@Bob)

Chris how do I register ? I've looked high and low but can't see how to do it. I'm sure I'm missing something that's right under my nose lol

Moderator Note: Off topic posts moved

Regarding where to register, see here

Regarding black & white TV's, see here

Posted : 12/03/2018 8:28 pm
Page 5 / 5
Share: