Notifications
Clear all

1971 Hitachi CSP680

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

In between waiting for some B9D valve holders turning up to finish the PYE and me deciding what television I will tackle next, I thought I would jump this 70's Hitachi up the queue and onto the bench.

The set came to me via Malc, I believe he got it in a job lot from Tow Law ( a village a few miles from here) about 30 years ago.

I think those that know these sets have a feeling about this one :qq1 Before doing anything there was a minor repair to tackle. The aerial socket had at some point been broken and the coax was floating inside. Opening up it was mucky and filthy inside, a quick blow out and soft brush got rid of most of it.

I have a few spare Belling Lee sockets so the old one was drilled out, the new one screwed onto the plate and soldered in.

Then threw the mains at it, job done, Oh well that one was taxing :aaj

Well you can see why the Jap sets kicked ass and tolled the death knell for the demise of our home brands. Forty two years later and its still ready to go. Still we didn't expect any trouble with it really did we. :cch

I do like these sets as they remind me of the American Zenith sets from the late 60's early 70's. I would love to get hold of a early 60's American colour, not much hope although my brother lives in Atlanta the shipping charges would be astronomical.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/11/2013 10:58 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Yes (early Jap sets) they were very reliable, the only problem with that being that if they did go wrong they could be tricky to fix unless it was an obvious fault (no stock faults), and also they used some rather esoteric silicon bits that did not always have a European equivalent (Sony and Panasonic especially), this usually required a special order for expensive original manufacturers spares and/or service data.

This prompted some dealers back in the day to refuse Jap sets (LLJ for one :qq1 ).

later still (even up to fairly recently) some repair shops would refuse Sony and Sharp repairs

Sometimes even if a European equivalent was found (Philips parts etc.), the reliability was often compromised as I never found European diodes/transistors lasted long when mixed with purely Jap electronics.

Later of course a lot (not all) of Jap manufacturers used European chipsets in their sets, indeed they often looked like a Philips chassis inside.

ttt:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2013 11:24 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

in the mid 80's one reason we did not do many sony sets was sony would not supply service info.
Rob T

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2013 11:46 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I spoke to soon... I've been caught out yet again.

I first fed in colour bar and test tone via my PM5515T which showed up good on the CSP680. Then I fed in the test card without tone, test card good as you can see. I've just gone back and thought lets put in some classic Morecambe & Wise, same scenario as the PYE awful sound, in fact worse just hiss and very faint audio from the video.

That's twice now, I will now remember to check audio from others sources in addition to the PM5515 tone.

I've located the IF board and will need to study the circuit from R&TS as I don't have the Hitachi manufacturers. I wonder if it will be as simple as the PYE and a twiddle on a coil will bring it back in line, or was this the fault that retired the set.

Looks like this set does offer an opportunity for a lesson. :aad

ReplyQuote

Topic starter Posted : 01/11/2013 11:49 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

in the mid 80's one reason we did not do many sony sets was sony would not supply service info.
Rob T

We could always get Sony info (manuals only) Rob, even though we were non-dealers, we had to go through SES which was Sony's service division (Trevor aka MurphyV310 worked for them), true we could not get hardly any spares through the usual wholesalers at the time, I don't know when that policy actually changed, was it due to EU trading laws some time in the 90's ?

Hitachi and Sanyo specific spares were available from CHS, and SEME did Panasonic, and Willowvale did Sharp, most of them did all of the common parts of the other Japanese makes.

This was in the late 80's and 90's.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2013 11:53 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account

We had accounts wth CHS willow vale grandata ect I cant remember why sony was so reticent.
so most of our sony repairs ended up with Shar in sloper rd. Cardiff.
Rob T

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/11/2013 12:02 am
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

I cant remember why sony was so reticent.
so most of our sony repairs ended up with Shar in sloper rd. Cardiff.
Rob T

Hi Rob,
Sony was always a bit stuck up (their own ar*e :qq1 ) IMO, they said it was to maintain their high standards and their reputation, which was high at the time to be fair, but I still think it was to maintain their dealer network prices to a large extent (expensive!).

Later Sony stuff wasn't built to anywhere near their original very high standards, and they sadly ended up with just an expensive overly complex product that was similar in longevity terms to their contemporaries (mid to high end named brands), and were no longer something special.
Their earlier sets being built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/11/2013 12:19 am
Jamie
(@jskinner97)

I didn't realize you had this set Chris! I also have this set (a freebie from a member on here)
It now lacks colour which I shall have to look at when I have time/patience!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2014 9:36 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Jamie,

Yes I quite liked the sixties American feel the Hitachi sports. It looks influenced by Zenith among other sets from that period. Now I would love to get a real American colour roundie.

If you've not wandered through my collection, its here. Theres a lot of early Single Standard colour and a fair few dual standard colour. They now out number the B&W as I continue to reduce them, I used to have 50+ 405's now I'm down to 20. Trouble is I'm rapidly running out of room as these big colour beasties take up a large footprint.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/11/2014 9:51 pm
Focus Diode
(@focus)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Great result. Reminds me of the Sanyo CTP 370 hybrid portable I have in a way, must dig that one out.

Cheers,
Brian

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2014 11:44 am
Lloyd
(@lloyd)

Nice telly!

I have 2 of the CFP-470, which look like little versions of this set. Both very good, but the tuner is knackered on one of them as the plastic bits inside have gone brittle and fallen apart.

Regards,
Lloyd.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2014 10:20 pm