[Closed] 1973 ASA CT5003 22" CT5004 26": Hybrid CTV

7 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Part of my interests and included in my CTV collection are continental sets. These as you well know were sets that filled the gap in the British market during the colour boom of the early seventies, when our manufacturers could not keep pace with demand. I spotted one such rare set turn up on e-bay down in Bristol, I didn't bid due to the distance. It sold today for well under a tenner, remarkable! Well done new owner, hopefully to be repaired not re-purposed, though that is your prerogative  ? 

The TV despite its appearance, is actually a hybrid containing half a dozen valves and comes from Finland. Looking at the photo I would say its the 26" CT5004.

The sole purpose and reason for this post is just in case its a new owner is a member of Vrat. If so I have the service data you will require.

asactv 1
asactv 2
asactv 3
asactv 4

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 21/10/2018 5:39 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I did spot that set earlier, but of course it is distance that is the main obstacle. Not only that, but limited space at this end too.

Now, had it been a nice Philips K70 then all what I just said would be out of the window along with common sense.

Anyway, I do hope someone here has obtained it.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 21/10/2018 6:20 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Same here,

I spotted 'a la bay' lastnight, and quite fancied it, but like everyone else it was beyond my reach, on a number of levels.

Nice looking set though, and reminded me of a Luxor that I was given in the dim distant past.

Posted : 21/10/2018 6:59 pm
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Honorable Member Registered

That's rather annoying ! I'd have bid on that TV in Bristol, especially at less than a tenner ! 

Does anyone know what it was listed as, I regularly look at ebay for old TV's, always filter by newly listed and try various keywords (CRT OLD VINTAGE) but this got past me so how many others I wonder ?

Does anyone have any tips for ebay or indeed gumtree or other such sources ?

Posted : 21/10/2018 7:27 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: mfd70

Does anyone know what it was listed as, 

Vintage Colour Television

Posted : 21/10/2018 7:34 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Reading an article in Television Sept 1980, it reveals the hybrid ASA colour televisions were imported by a firm in Bristol as suspected during the 70's colour boom, so it looks like the set on e-bay had remained in the area all its life. The set also sported a single i.c. the tuning voltage stabilised TAA550.

p.s

The television article is available in the CTV servicing the sets section of the blog.
https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/servicing-the-sets/

Posted : 21/10/2018 9:19 pm
MongooseDC
(@mongoosedc)
Trusted Member Registered

Posted by: mfd70

Does anyone have any tips for ebay or indeed gumtree or other such sources ?

It will depend on what you're looking for. "Valve Television" usually brings up older sets, "Vintage TV" will bring up almost any CRT Television, as Vintage Monitor brings up a whole host of CRT monitors for computers, CCTV etc. "405 Line TV" works quite well. The problem is that a lot of sellers do not know what they are selling and will put something like "old telly" as the description. Even if it's a 6 month old LCD the word "old" will cause that to appear in the listings. There have recently been a few nice sets on eBay recently, many at a nice price.

There are also a few sellers selling brand new 12 inch CRTs - I'm sure that these would suit a vintage telly with a tired tube for many years to come!

I've not tried any other sites like shpock yet, but with most of these you can filter the mileage down on most sites. 

Posted : 21/10/2018 9:54 pm
Share: