Notifications
Clear all

CTV 1975 22" Granada C22NV2

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

The background to this TV coming into my collection, started way back in Oct 2021.

Here's a bit of the backstory.

@wayned of this parish, contacted me about a number of TVs that had come to his attention, and were available due to the previous owner passing away. Wayne was interested in a couple of sets, and asked if I knew anything about them. I won't spoil his reveal, I'm sure he will be along once he's rested from a rather long journey, to tell you all about them.

Anyway, in one of the photos, I spotted this Granada and asked if it was still available to purchase. I had zero space available but, it was what I had been looking for. You see, I had a Granada display at one end of the museum, but the space was taken up by a Rediffusion TV. I asked Wayne if he fancied a MK4 and it just so happened he really did, result!

The TVs were located way down in Liverpool, and Wayne was arranging with the family who lived in Cambridge, a suitable time to collect. Well, many a plan of mice and men! COVID-19 soon scuppered that, when the vendor caught it, and by all accounts was quite poorly with it. This was followed by Wayne catching it for a second time, and by then Christmas was upon us.

After Christmas, communications with the vendor fell silent, as such both Wayne and thought it was a lost cause. Wayne had a friend in Liverpool who I believe offered to store all the TVs if and when the person ever resurfaced, they did last week, and the deal was completed. Today Wayne, made the long trip down, and half an hour ago dropped the Granada off.

Now, ever since I had decided to try and find A 70s colour Granada TV, I had assumed it might have housed a Finlandia chassis. The TV had zero markings on the back, the Granada specific model label, long gone. However, clues were on the front. "Made in Norway", and above the user controls the words "Viking". Upon opening up the TV, I was indeed greeted with a familiar sight, the solid state CTV2-2 Tandberg chassis. I already have a later version of the CTV2 in the form of a CTV2-4-125.

I believe, using the Granada chassis decode guide, the model might well have been C22NV2. Here's why:

• C = Colour
  • 22 = CRT size
  • N = 1975
  • V = Tandberg
  • 2 = UHF/VHF tuner

I know it's the CTV2-2 chassis as I have the service manual, and the chassis matches the manuals photos. The cabinet was a tad dull/flat, and had a good few scratches. However, after  treating it to my quick cabinet refurb method, it now looks like new. Here are some photos, It looks great with all the Granada memorabilia. OK, it's not a Finlandia, but I doubt I'll find Granada Tandberg signage.

gran01
gran02
gran03
gran04
gran05
gran06
gran07
gran08
gran09
gran10
gran11

Crusty Collection

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/03/2022 6:56 pm
Mikey66, Red_to_Black, ntscuser and 1 people liked
WayneD
(@wayned)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

It was worth it just to see the grin on your face when you opened your front door! 😊 

That cabinet has come up lovely! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2022 7:57 pm
crustytv liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I note the presence of the Tandberg Viking in the service manuals - rather like the Tektronix 'freak' in their late 60s/early 70s manuals! I first met the Viking in a cassette deck manual.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2022 2:11 pm
WayneD
(@wayned)

The area surrounding those RGB output transistors looks like it's had quite the roasting! 😮 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2022 3:21 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Found a more appropriate stand for the Granada, than the Thorn one I had initially used. This one has wheels, and more importantly, enough room to place a video underneath. I had a Granada Stereo VCR, model VHSAH3 in the collection, so now I have a full Granada set up.

20220316 163954
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/03/2022 2:44 pm
Alex728 and WayneD liked
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Active V-Ratter Registered

The set my parents used to rent from Granada had a trolley stand like that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2022 5:06 pm
slidertogrid
(@slidertogrid)

That's a nice looking set Chris, displays well with the VCR.  I didn't see many Tandberg sets in this neck of the woods, half a dozen at the most. Never saw one badged Viking I didn't realise Granada rented them, we had a local Granada ex-rental shop (remember the "clever Leopard" adverts?) so I am surprised there wasn't a few about. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/03/2022 8:02 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @crustytv

I believe, using the Granada chassis decode guide, the model might well have been C22NV2. Here's why:

• C = Colour
  • 22 = CRT size
  • N = 1975
  • V = Tandberg
  • 2 = UHF/VHF tuner

Looks like I was not wrong on the model number. Out of curiosity, I searched the television mags for C22NV2 and came up with and article from Apr 1988.

88art
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/03/2022 12:08 am
WayneD liked