389 Posts
22 Users
519 Likes
12.1 K Views
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Not the mythical 4K set I was promised time and time again over the past 3-4 years, which I'd never actually seen and which looked likely never to come to fruition. But, finally, after all these years of searching for a 4000, I have found one and bought it. I'm collecting mid next week, what's more, it's the one I specifically wanted, the luxurious HMV 2726.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1975-hmv-2726-colourmaster/

This completes my Thorn chassis quest and ladies and gentlemen as I've always stated, If I found a 4K that would signal the end of my collecting days. The TV & VCR collection as its stands will keep me occupied in repairs for the foreseeable future. It set me back a fair few beer tokens, but as it completes the line-up and is my final purchase, to me it was worth every penny.

Thanks to Malc I have the full 4K service manual to hand, which I'm sure is going to serve me well. The TV repair will be fully documented in my usual over the shoulder manner, plenty of in depth analysis and loads of photos to boot. Hopefully you'll all come with me on this unique TVs journey, as there is pretty much nothing out there on the web documenting the majestic Thorn 4000 series HMV 2726. Hey! No spitting at the back there from our Aussie cousins. 😉 

Initially the TV will take pride of place in my Museum and when repaired not just a display piece, but used in the 70s lounge recreation.

20211026 184301
lg5

p.s.

Good job I snagged that 4K remote a month or so back

20210912 141650
20210912 141700
20210912 141708
20210912 141810
20210912 141722
20210912 141911
20210912 141918
20210912 141931

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 30/10/2021 1:52 pm
Red_to_Black, Mikey66, Cathovisor and 12 people reacted
colourmaster
(@colourmaster)
Honorable Member Registered

Hi Chris,

I'm so pleased that you have finally obtained your 4000 , I'm sure it will be worth it , I know exactly what it's like to finally obtain a long wanted set . I thought I would never own a G9 and now I have two. We'll all look forward to following your restoration journey .

Regards Gary.

Posted : 30/10/2021 2:10 pm
The_Teleman, Red_to_Black, crustytv and 6 people reacted
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

Pleased you finally got one! I did see that one for sale, but didn’t realise it was a 4K!

Regards 

Lloyd 

Posted : 30/10/2021 2:55 pm
Red_to_Black, crustytv, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

This completes my Thorn chassis quest and ladies and gentlemen as I've always stated, If I found a 4K that would signal the end of my collecting days.

"He'll be back. He needs the job like an alcoholic needs booze."

(Haskins, on Jack Regan's resignation after his trial)

Well, that's such good news to read in this of all weeks - congratulations!

I can imagine how you must feel: I remember the sequence of events nearly a decade ago now (!!) that led to me getting the Baird T21, just when I'd given up hope on ever owning a pre-war mirror-lid set.

Posted : 30/10/2021 4:08 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

So pleased to hear you’ve managed to find one. It was a shock to hear about JCdaze having the 3C05 but for a 2726 to turn up so quickly after that is a stunning surprise. 

Well done and I wish you well with. 

John.

Posted : 30/10/2021 4:18 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi John, I'm a lucky bunny on two counts. Not only have I managed to obtain the TV I've been after for what seems an absolute age, but both you and Jim worked on these back in the day. Jim even installed this model in Sir Jules' house when it first came out. I couldn't ask for finer support, to have not one, but two ex Thorn engineers to call upon should I need help and advice.

The only thing that really worries me is specific 4K parts, if needed. I couldn't have chosen a more difficult chassis to find components for.

Posted : 30/10/2021 4:49 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @crustytv

I couldn't have chosen a more difficult chassis to find components for.

Except maybe a G6?!

Well that is brilliant news, and you know if you wait long enough, the right bus will come round the corner eventually.

I remember seeing that ad in the national papers, and remind me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the ad launched to coincide with "The Royal Ascot" or some other important horse race?

!975 was my first full year out of school, and was the year I acquired my first personally owned G6, which spent its first day downstairs in our living room, until there were enough of us at home to lug it up to my bedroom. I remember my dad's comments to the effect "I hope you've got this thing insured, because if it comes through that ceiling, you're paying for the repairs - to the ceiling!".

Posted : 30/10/2021 6:09 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Reputable Member Registered

I,m really glad that you've gone and got that one, looks in good condition,cabinet wise anyway. I've got quite a lot of info as regards circuit modifications and also as a spare frame board apart from the 3 spare power/line boards, which could be ok for some spare parts if needed. I suspect that you'll have this one up and running before I get round to looking at my one. I remember doing an adjustment on the frame board once, which is situated just below the crt, on a brand new 22" model and I went and got a belt through not concentrating and my reflex action was to lift my hand away quickly and in doing so I took the neck of the crt clean of. Oops. Happy days.

Posted : 30/10/2021 6:56 pm
crustytv, Katie Bush, crustytv and 3 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @jcdaze

I went and got a belt through not concentrating and my reflex action was to lift my hand away quickly and in doing so I took the neck of the crt clean of. Oops. Happy days.

I did something similar in my teens, only it was a Murphy V216, with an exceptionally rare 16" 'roundy' CRT.

As I recall, that was eventually replaced by a rectangular CRT which was an electrical match for the original.

Posted : 30/10/2021 7:38 pm
jcdaze, jcdaze and jcdaze reacted
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @jcdaze

I remember doing an adjustment on the frame board once, which is situated just below the crt, on a brand new 22" model and I went and got a belt through not concentrating and my reflex action was to lift my hand away quickly and in doing so I took the neck of the crt clean of. Oops. Happy days.

Colleague of mine did something similar to a professional 20" monitor; went to close the front tray where all the adjustments lived and encountered some resistance, so he gave it a bit more of a shove.

At which point there was that sound of air going where it shouldn't be... the leads to the CRT base got caught in the tray somehow.

Posted : 30/10/2021 9:23 pm
jcdaze, jcdaze and jcdaze reacted
Boingy
(@boingy)
Estimable Member Registered

Well done Chris on getting your last TV in your collection..... Hope the restoration goes well for you 🙂

Standards are like toothbrushes. Everybody needs them, but nobody want to use yours!

Posted : 01/11/2021 12:41 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

There's a space ! .........  For something special, the journey to collect begins in a few hours.

space

Posted : 03/11/2021 2:23 pm
Red_to_Black, Cathovisor, Lloyd and 6 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Here we go chaps, the big reveal, the glorious 26" HMV 4000. I couldn't be happier, the TV is in immaculate condition. After a good clean and polish, it looks like it could have rolled off the production line yesterday!

All credit to the former owner, who must have taken great care of it. Unfortunately there is no history that can be gleaned from where and when it was bought.

As a teaser, here are the external shots, later today internals, I know some of you and myself included are eager to see the chassis.
2726 1
2726 2
2726 3
2726 4
2726 5
2726 6
2726 7
2726 8
2726 9
20211106 171218

P.S.

For an interesting discovery, see here

Posted : 04/11/2021 10:31 am
Lloyd, PYE625, Till Eulenspiegel and 9 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

In the immortal words of Captain Oates, I'm going outside, I may be sometime. Gutted beyond words, frame board is missing, lots of wires off all over the place.

20211104 112241

Posted : 04/11/2021 11:51 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

". . ."

Posted : 04/11/2021 12:39 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

@crustytv All is not lost as I have a spare frame board. I mentioned it in earlier post. Just want to visually check the one in the set I've got before letting it go. 

Posted : 04/11/2021 12:44 pm
Katie Bush, freya, Red_to_Black and 15 people reacted
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered

I know what it is like. You remove the back almost with trembling hands in excitement and anticipation. You see immediately a critical component is missing, or severely damaged. Your heart sinks and hit's the stomach. You blink and look again in disbelief.

To state the stupidly obvious, it is desirable to have a scrap chassis for spares. Or hope a kind hearted soul is willing to supply a much needed part. Thank God for the forum(s) and the generous good folk right here. 👍 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 04/11/2021 5:00 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Well, that's a bummer about that panel, but at least there is the offer from 'jcdaze' so all may well not be lost just yet!

Posted : 04/11/2021 8:06 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)

Good to hear you've tracked one down, but it's a shame it's missing a crucial part!

Posted : 04/11/2021 10:25 pm
The_Teleman
(@the_teleman)

My heart sank too when I saw the frame panel missing 

its one of those moments you wish you would never come across , I felt the same with the Telpro missing power supply but it all came good in the end 

and so will your 4000 I’m looking forward so much to seeing this set working 

its been a long time coming but a well deserved find 👍

chris 

Posted : 05/11/2021 2:25 pm
Page 1 / 20
Share: