Notifications
Clear all

1975 PYE CT-219 “Chelsea” 717 Chassis

Page 5 / 5

Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

Now that it's working do you feel it deserves it's poor reputation regarding picture/EHT stabilisation? I must admit that looking at the circuit I was appalled to see the 12v supply is not stablised. As the supplies from the line stage fall with increasing beam current so does the 12v to the IF and tuner helping to reduce contrast, Yuck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2021 9:32 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Well, I'm yet to see it used in anger, this is the first time it's been up long enough without eating doublers and loosing sync for me to see a picture. First impressions with just the test-card, it gives a good account of itself. The funny thing is I just did a quick and dirty grey-scale. No attempt at convergence, which you can see is very good. Glad it didn't need tweaking, as many of the pots are frozen solid. Perhaps that's why the convergence is good, they are fused so cannot be twiddled.

As for the cct, well yes it's been an eye-opener and I have to wonder how Thorn always gets bashed when the likes of this PYE far worse. I feel rather thankful that my IF amp module was not the original as, the double-sided board with its printed coils, poor rivets linking the layers and awfully soldered caps, sounded like a total nightmare.

Rather than appalled I was totally confused, thinking I must have read it wrong finding the Beam-limiter shared the 12V supply, hence speaking to you about it. I remember your astonishment when I assured you with a copy of the cct that really was the case. I think your actual words were, "that's just disgusting".

I've not done a thing to the decoder, it's running with all its original caps, including the green elctros. Of all the boards designed for the PYE, this looks the best and at a quick glance you could think it was a 3K.

The modular layout is OK, with reasonable access to all boards, but not like a Thorn. If had to choose, a budget colour TV 8K or CT200, Thorn would win every time. Even the Thorn cabinets have nice styling and quality. I do think of all the Chelsea's, this final one is probably the nicest looking one.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/08/2021 9:51 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv 
You got there which is what matters, a voyage of discovery, had a few of those myself.

I only ever saw the original version, we sent them back, we thought they were poor and so did the customers when shown at the side of the Hitachi and Toshiba sets.

Was this a Pye design or a Philips?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2021 10:21 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @crustytv

The modular layout is OK, with reasonable access to all boards, but not like a Thorn. If had to choose, a budget colour TV 8K or CT200, Thorn would win every time. Even the Thorn cabinets have nice styling and quality. I do think of all the Chelsea's, this final one is probably the nicest looking one.

The last 8k models using the 8004 chassis were very good but I feel rather let down by the uni potential low focus and rounded 17"CRT. The squarer 18" would have looked more modern and would have been better still with a normal 5kV focus gun although the lack of pincushion correction shows up much worse on squarer CRTs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/08/2021 10:32 pm
Tazman1966
(@tazman1966)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

...I do think of all the Chelsea's, this final one is probably the nicest looking one...

Now that I do agree with!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2021 7:58 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

As for the cct, well yes it's been an eye-opener and I have to wonder how Thorn always gets bashed when the likes of this PYE far worse. I feel rather thankful that my IF amp module was not the original as, the double-sided board with its printed coils, poor rivets linking the layers and awfully soldered caps, sounded like a total nightmare.

Rivets acting as "vias" were also used in either the Thornlite or Q-File lighting console and were just as troublesome. Printed coils were innovative and I think GEC did it before them but Pye have "form" with coils - the IF transformers of the Pye "MP" radio come to mind here!

As for Thorn getting slagged off: I have my own reasons for not being their greatest fan but I think it was their innovative designs and solutions that were just so unfamiliar to many service engineers that set their face against them - you'll see a similar thing in the motor trade amongst some mechanics who can't, or more likely won't understand why a particular manufacturer does what they do, so they just dismiss it with "oh, it's crap".

That's not to say that some manufacturers didn't deserve that epithet - the line stage of the Bush CTV25 being a case in point and the overall situation not being helped by too many manufacturers viewing every penny spent as a ha'penny wasted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/08/2021 10:07 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@cathovisor 

My experience with Thorn was the BW sets of the middle late 60’s, compared to the competition they were less than ideal. Built mainly for Thorns rental market the term” Penny spent is a half penny wasted “ was very much in evidence.

However they were one of the easiest sets to repair but their performance didn’t match other makes, that was my opinion. It was the reason we stayed away from their early CTV sets.

The Pye D/S and 691 chassis gave excellent pictures and were reliable, the GEC and KB sets did the same but we didn’t sell those. The Bush colour range of sets never lived up to the picture quality of the others mentioned. The CTV25 had its own LOPTX problems but not that great a picture, the A823 chassis picture again didn’t live up to the rest.

By the early 70’s Japanese sets were showing  quality unheard of and made large in roads to the market and the decline of our manufacturing started. Most of our set makers had financial problems through the 50’s and 60’s with many take overs, that left them vulnerable and made it difficult to compete 

All from a personal perspective

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2021 7:15 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)

@nuvistor 

In my late teens/early 20s I used to "do up" these early colour sets for friends and then some of Anne's friends so they could have a colour set in their bedroom for the first time.

The A823 I had produced a really rotten, flat-looking picture and it was perpetually short of scan; it was only changing the entire chassis did an improvement occur. The Pye 697 I was given had such a monumental burn-up on the CDA panel that I scrapped it (which was a pity as I remember these could produce cracking pictures) and gave its tube to a Thorn 3500. By far and away the best pictures I saw from a British set were from a Decca "Bradford", a CS1830. I don't know why, but Bush/RBM really didn't seem to hit the mark with their sets until the PIL tube era which is surprising considering that they managed to produce a really good mono set in the shape of the A640 chassis.

I missed out on an ITT CVC5, and chickened out on a B&O 3200.

Of course, Bush's factory in Ernesettle (only relatively recently demolished) became home to Toshiba.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2021 11:14 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Posted by: @nuvistor

By the early 70’s Japanese sets were showing  quality unheard of and made large in roads to the market and the decline of our manufacturing started. Most of our set makers had financial problems through the 50’s and 60’s with many take overs, that left them vulnerable and made it difficult to compete 

It's interesting to note that most takeovers occurred because the domestic electronics sections were a huge burden on the parent companies and rarely made a profit, unlike the commercial/civil/military arms. It is also interesting to note that some of these companies actually still survive - Ultra, for example. Whilst the domestic stuff was sold off to Thorn, the military side was successful but is currently the subject of a takeover:

https://www.ultra.group/gb/about-us/100-years-of-ultra/

Another one of course was Burndept, who for years made radios for the Home Office into the 70s.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2021 11:23 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@cathovisor 
Another set that had really good picture quality was the first dual standard Baird CTV. Using high level demod for the colour components was I believe something common in the USA. I don’t know of any other UK set that did. I always thought they had some technical influence from RCA but have no direct knowledge of it being correct.
I only ever saw them working, never repaired one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2021 8:46 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@cathovisor 

Yes I have been following the Ultra story with interest.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2021 8:46 pm
PYE625
(@pye625)
Posted by: @nuvistor

The Pye D/S and 691 chassis gave excellent pictures 

I can vouch for that....

120352=23490 rsz img 1945
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/08/2021 9:47 pm
Lloyd liked